• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HME, SEE, HMMH same chassis?

wehring

Do these units share the same chassis? I think they are the 406 platform but what I am asking is can an HMMH be easily converted to an SEE and can an SEE be easily converted to an HMMH?

I am looking at an HMMH and want to be able to put a front end loader and backhoe on it as needed.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Justin,

I believe there's a good chance the HMMH and SEE share a lot of common components but that's no guarantee of interchangeability of implements (see below). Interchangeability never seemed to be the goal of any of the manufacturers of various add-ons for Unimogs. There are so few HMMH's out there a specific answer may not be available without trying it!

You are really thinking toward a good goal though. Several people have bought SEE's and have taken off all the excavation stuff to make trail machines. (waste of a good machine :)). If you can get together with someone who wants to do this, maybe swap trucks!..or has done it, and try the hardware on for size.

That said, I am not an authority on any of these versions of the 406, but yes, the basic chassis is the 406 Unimog. The military versions have heavier frames, heavier springs, and many different add-ons (like mounting brackets) to allow use with their specific backhoes and loaders. The hydraulic layouts are different, too.

Finding the specific brackets for whatever loader and hoe you want to use will be a serious challenge. Even if the brackets come on the implement, there might not be a fit to the truck chassis.

I have three 406 Unimogs and a couple of sets of backhoes and loaders, and no two are the same.

The most common backhoe and loader equipped 406 in the USA would be the Case units from 20 years ago. Those used a Case-designed and built subframe onto which the backhoe fit. They sold a Case 26 version backhoe to match the Case upgrades (and earlier ones might have been a model 25). There were also a few Schmidt (I think) backhoes modified to fit. Another subassembly was designed that hung on the Case deck. These were built as a predecessor to the SEE tractors. BUT, the SEE's do not have the Case deck and use another unique mounting system for the loader and hoe. Some use the FL-4 loader, but another heavier model of hoe.

The Case MB-4/94 Unimog's front loaders were made by Schmidt (no Case loaders known) and were more 'universal' than the backhoes, but several loader versions were used (FL-3 and FL-4, probably others) and different mounting brackets were needed for each.

My advice is to get a SEE, or get a Case MB-4/94, along with the specific implements that fit them, and don't try to mix and match.

Bob

Do these units share the same chassis? I think they are the 406 platform but what I am asking is can an HMMH be easily converted to an SEE and can an SEE be easily converted to an HMMH?

I am looking at an HMMH and want to be able to put a front end loader and backhoe on it as needed.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Same base vehicle but getting and changing the attachments will be difficult.

Where did you score a HMMH at? Only ever saw 8 in person. Seen a lot of SEEs. Never saw a lot of purpose in the HMMH. Too much load on the front, the back has to have a counterweight on the crane. Too much load on that small short crane and FLIP, over ya go. Overall never was a fan and they made lousy paperweights. The SEE on the other hand....

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never saw a lot of purpose in the HMMH.
Neither did I...until I realized that I needed a forklift with more capacity than my M6040 Kubota (with fork attachment) could muster, and the "sky hook" wanna-be crane I built for it.
But if I could only have one, I'd keep the SEE. It'd be too time consuming to clean irrigation ditches with a forklift.

peakbagger

One difference between the SEE and HMMH is the front suspension lock out. It looks like there is quite an electrical harness and some equipment that the SEE doesn't have.

I expect I will be ordering a set of loader forks that hang off the loader bucket on my SEE at some point. I realize there are limitations but I would not expect the use them very often

Here is a link to HMMH for sale, unfortunately us common folks cant buy it https://www.nebraska.gov/app-fsp/public/searchProducts
The state of Wisconsin was also listing one on their surplus listing but I haven't seen it lately

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd love to have that lockout on the rear of the SEE, but as it is the one on the HMMH isn't even working (cracked reservoir - which I don't even know where to fill, or with what yet).
And, yes, that lockout system seems complex. The first thing I noticed was "air noise" when depressing the clutch, later the switch and a crap load of relays behind the passenger seat.
Titan Distributing (or maybe it's Manufacturing) has about the best price on forks that I've seen, and it includes shipping. Got a set of 48 inchers at first, but use the 60-inch ones far more often. You better get really long ones, to be able to see the tips of the forks.
One of these years I'll hopefully get a chance to convert the SEE's loader to Quick Tach, then be able to use all the stuff I have for the tractors on the SEE, too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks