• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Super-low oil pressure, M35A2 multifuel

racer-xerols

I noticed it yesterday, pulling a heavy load across the field (a downed tree, nearly the size and weight of my '05 Ram quad cab diesel). It was hot ambient out, probably low 90s, and I was running in first, 6x6, transfer case in low range for pulling power. Nothing overheated. Oil shows between full and "2 low" on the dipstick at shutdown, 1 minute after shutdown, and about 30 minutes after shutdown. No knocking noises in the engine that I could hear...but then, these things are LOUD to begin with.

Oil pressure gauge was fluttering above zero at idle. Fluttered higher than that when the revs were up...but not much. I seem to remember it being higher last time we used it. Oil looks good on the stick, not black or chunky. Runs fine, no misfires or hiccups (and it pulled that tree, with the only 'weak link' being traction).

Is there a place I can hook a test pressure gauge? I have the manuals...but anyone who's used them knows, they're less than helpful on many levels. How often do the gauges flake out, versus there being an actual pressure problem? Looking in the manual, the pump is gear-driven off a gear on the crank so it's doubtful that failed...unless there's an internal pump problem or a bad seal on the pickup (or a blocked pickup...but again, the oil looks darned clean).

Or - and this is my hope - are these things THAT sensitive to being a quart low? It sure would be easier to drop in a quart or two (and what's the oil of choice - looks like straight 30 in the manual, or do they like a diesel oil like Rotella T?), than it would be to drop the pan and check everything....especially in the middle of a field!

Any advice from a non-newbie would be much appreciated, thanks!

jwaller

it's not that sensitive to low levels. sounds like you might have a bad gauge or sender. you can run them a gallon low and not affect the pressure at idle.

bgekky3

Make sure the guage has good ground. Mine was fluttering around close to zero at times until I got on the road and up to speed. Then the guage worked. After tightening the guage up, it worked fine. I had a manual guage on it, so I knew the engine was fine. It is still unnerving to see a low guage. The sender is on the right rear of the engine.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both sending unit and gauge can be bench tested. Apply compressed air to the sending unit, using a rubber tipped air nozzle and check resistance.
The gauge requires 3 connection points, case is ground, the "ribbed" Packard connector goes to the sender (which must have the same ground as the gauge, of course) and the plain Packard goes to supply voltage (about 20 to 28 volts).

Attachments

Hookin1

Put a t fitting in where your sending unit is on the back of the engine. Then attach a mechanical gauge. I did that so in case my electric gauge went out it would save me from a heart attack like i almost had when it first quit working

johan77

Both sending unit and gauge can be bench tested. Apply compressed air to the sending unit, using a rubber tipped air nozzle and check resistance.
The gauge requires 3 connection points, case is ground, the "ribbed" Packard connector goes to the sender (which must have the same ground as the gauge, of course) and the plain Packard goes to supply voltage (about 20 to 28 volts).
that's what i i was looking for...thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks