• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camper M109 - Spacial Transformations style

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M109 Live-in Rig - Spacial Transformations style

I've been promising to some of you that I would do a build thread when we (finely) got started . . . that time has come.
We spent the last year getting to know the rig, sealing leaks, singling out the rears & changing the tranny, re-deucing the sound levels, sanding, filling the floors and painting.
Now it's time to start the build.
I'll start w/ some photos of the inside as we got it,
then the work that we did to get it to this starting point. I say "starting point" because up until now I've only gotten to do the wrenching and tear-outs. All the floor work and painting was Elise's, . . . it is her rig.
Now I get to do some "Spacial Transformations".

The link at the bottom will take you to the detailed photo site. Lots of photos, small on words, perfect for those that don't want to read and would prefer to "just look at pictures". ;)

Some of the things getting changed on this mech monster are;
HEMTT wheels w/ 14.5's
12v add-on alt & solar panels (to power the 12v stuff in the camper box)
Camper build w/ futon couch/fold-out bed, LP stove, sink, desk/work space, etc. (no inside toilet for us, we don't like to crap where we live). So it's low tech/ outside for us.
Back-up & tag lights (other small stuff like, lift handle on the hood, step on the front bumper, things that make it easier for the lady to get up and check the fluids)

Now it's started :D

Attachments

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I love reading about all of you guys and your 109 conversions.

Looks great!

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled the hinges of a $5 futon frame we got at the local swap meet and mated them to some 3/4 birch ply. After making sure that my tape didn't lie to me, and I really could lay it down w/o running into the wall, I pulled it all apart for some sanding & oiling. Now I live in a tree less desert, and this ply is from the Depot, so it needed some help. When I cut it into two pieces I found a huge air bubble in the middle. Used up a bottle of wood glue and a day w/ it in clamps.
Also added a handle for lifting the hood, and a step (off my tailgate :shock:, must like this woman) to make it easier to check the fluids (otherwise I'll be the one doing it).

Got the footboard mounted to the wall, placed the water tanks (15 gal each) and sureflow pump. This is what that birch looks like oiled.

Attachments

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next it was time to start on the propane tank mounting. Dropped the spare, mudflap, and pulled the holding unit off. With help from a friend that can weld, we fab'd up some mounts. Painted the tank got it back into place. Will still be able to re-hang the spare w/o having to do any fab'ing.

Attachments

wikallen

Ok, I like this.

May I steal your LP idea? That is fantastic, and was wondering if I could fit my tank there.

I also like the way you did your 3 tone paint. I would like to use your style as well, only different colors. I officially give you credit if I go that route on mine

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I like this.

May I steal your LP idea? That is fantastic, and was wondering if I could fit my tank there.

I also like the way you did your 3 tone paint. I would like to use your style as well, only different colors. I officially give you credit if I go that route on mine
Steal away. The tank just fits w/o having to mod the mudflap. It's a 14.5 gal tank and we first thought that we would be cutting into the mudflap to mount it. Turned out that the mounts on the tank let us slide it far enough forward to just miss it and still give room for cab movement.

If you mean the 3 color interier paint, that's Elise's work, if you are talking about the outside, that's 4 color desert MERDC. Came that way, as did most of the things we have so far. So . . . no credit to me. I just painted to make it blend in.

Attachments

wikallen

If you mean the 3 color interier paint, that's Elise's work, if you are talking about the outside, that's 4 color desert MERDC. Came that way, as did most of the things we have so far. So . . . no credit to me. I just painted to make it blend in.

I mean the interior. I got girl approved on the colors when we went looking, and might do a similar style of 3 tone, but with more of a tan and olive drab theme.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks