• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camper M109 - Spacial Transformations style

2StateTrigger

Hotbox - Thanks, though I'm not sure, because of your avatar, if you are serious or not . :)

Once again I'm in that "summer pre-departure" overload. Been working on some of the latest upgrades.

First the step-tank as mounted (noticed that I didn't have any posted that were post install)
View attachment 346573

Then I took a roadside rest, on my `Zona Solo" trip, so that I could "upgrade" the Rad & Waterpump. Now She has a Rad that doesn't leak, and a Waterpump w/ bearings, . . . He!! of an "Upgrade" they work so much better now ;)

Hearing a drive-train paced thumping as vital fluids sprayed back onto the cab's view-port left me w/ a sick feeling.Once stopped I could tell that it was a gutted heat-exchanger, . . . the Rad was dumping the last of it's fluid on the ground.
Quick, I grabbed 5 gal off the rack and caught the last couple gals by opening the petcock. Never waste liquid out here in the dez.

View attachment 346584View attachment 346575 View attachment 346576

Waiting hours, till that burning day-star moved behind the ridge, I pulled the affected parts.
Now to move her, as short a distance as poss. I like to choose my "multi-day" breakdown spots ;)

View attachment 346577 View attachment 346578 View attachment 346579

Earlier in the day a sheriff had recommended the "No Camping" pull-off not that far behind me.
In front of me was a bridge, and no turn-around space on the far side . . . or as far as I could see . . . To either side of me were the walls of a DOT mini canyon, the kind that get made when they cut through a small ridge.

I scouted around a bit and figured I could turn her around not that far in front of me, right her in the mini canyon. Dodge some bigger ditch rocks, get one front wheel part way up the side, turn hard to the left . . . I THINK she'll make that w/o getting the back axles up . . . much.
Worst case I'll still be able to jack-knife the trailer a bit in a three-point turn :whistle:

She makes it! Hardly a challenge.

Now safely encamped above the lake, among the blooming saguaro, I install her upgrades (Thank you Castle Bravo!)

View attachment 346580 View attachment 346581 View attachment 346582

That was a couple months ago, Next; the current Upgrades

LowTech,

I had the EXACT situation happen to me way back in the mid-80's when driving back from some snow ski resort in Colorado. Driving a 79 Jeep CJ-7 and the fan bearing that the pulley rotates on seized up in the middle of the night with approximately 15* F and no other traffic on the deserted road other than a 12 passenger van traveling with us. We were a teenaged snow ski race team (Slalom, Giant Slalom, Downhill) who were traveling home from a race. If the 2nd vehicle wasnt with us I dont know if I'd still be with you here. We were about 2 hours drive from any civilization.....Crazy life, huh?

Have you thought about putting an access door thru back of your cab into the camper box? Wonder how much of a job that would be.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks