• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kinda got carried away..... M1028 rebuild

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't begin to imagine what that set you back. With that said, it looks like that external girdle and pan could be added to a 6.2. As usual, top shelf stuff.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't begin to imagine what that set you back. With that said, it looks like that external girdle and pan could be added to a 6.2. As usual, top shelf stuff.
Hey Recovery - I'm spending my daughter's inheritance, so the cost of things is really irrelevent in the big picture. You will be there someday and understand what I am talking about. Life is not a dress rehersal - we are going through it only once. My wife and I have been blessed to have had successful careers and attained financial security. We are not rich by any stretch of the word, however we are capable of buying whatever we need or want. Luckily we are simple humble people and would rather have a good bologna sandwich instead of a steak. My M1028 is my last toy. I have been rebuilding it since 2010. Always wanted a new HMMWV engine, and when I heard the P400's were going to be discontinued by AM General, I decided to dip into my daughter's savings and get one. However to address your original statement, the P400 long block was $8850 FOB delivered. I intend to finish the engine with all new parts instead of robbing them from my original 6.2. I already have a completely rebuilt DB2891-4911 200HP mechanical pump from Huckstorf Diesel ($650), new open plane intake from Gimpyrob, special ceramic-coated tuned headers from Stan's ($1200), new Bosch injectors, new injector lines, new glow plugs, new FlowMaster water pump, new HMMWV crossover coolant pipe, new Spinner centrifugal oil filter, new 6.5 FFM fuel filter, new Carter lift pump, new AN braided lines everywhere, new Energy engine mounts, new HMMWV gauges and sending units with Packard connectors, etc, etc, etc. I imagine I will have over $15,000 in the engine alone by the time I get through with it. I already have $4500 invested in a completely rebuilt Level 2 K-case 700R4 transmission from Bowtie Overdrives. I believe when it is all said and done, the total cost of the engine and transmission will approach $20,000. Add that to the $20,000 I have already spent in restoring/rebuilding the truck, and I will probably have over $40,000 in it when I am done. Not bad, considering a new Chevy K30 is approaching $65,000 on the lot. No way I would trade my M1028 for any new truck.

I believe the vast majority of people, maybe even 99.9%, automatically place a monetary value on everything they spend money on. And this is probably the correct thing to do in most cases, such as home improvement, where you wouldn't want to spend $100,000 on a new room addition if it will increase your home's resale value of only $50,000. That's like flushing a cool $50,000 down the toilet. And that's $50,000 that must be earned in some form or fashion. My wife and I have been married for 48 years and we are now in that other 00.1% who want what we want regardless of the resale value. When we are dead and gone somebody else (my daughter) can deal with it.

By the way, the P400 girdle is not and will never be available as a separate part. it wouldn't work as an add-on anyway because the whole bottom end of the P400 is different from the 6.2 or 6.5. The main caps are different and are integral to the girdle. I understand the connecting rods are different as well to clear the extra meat of the caps and girdle. The connecting rods are also forged billet with fractured-cap design, and the crankshaft is also different and forged billet.

I understand Leroy at Leroy Diesel just purchased the last 10 P400's that were available and only 4 of those long blocks are 90-degree-head for side mount turbo, with the other 6 produced for the rear mount HMMWV turbo. So if you are considering the possibility of getting a P400, you need to act fast. I actualy considered purchasing another one from Leroy and storing it away. Not to resale for a profit, but to just have.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, I still have kids at home and frankly, if anything pops on my 6.2, I'll install an LS. Originality is not as important as it once was for me. As for your truck, it's a work of art and I watch with baited breath for it's completion.

Burning Oil

I've just read from post #195. Ive got to get to bed as Ive been up all night :) but just wanted to look in on one of my best customers progress on your project. It looks like your going all out on it, but I knew you were from phone conversations, nice to see some of it though.
This is Leroy BTW. Thank you.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've just read from post #195. Ive got to get to bed as Ive been up all night :) but just wanted to look in on one of my best customers progress on your project. It looks like your going all out on it, but I knew you were from phone conversations, nice to see some of it though.
This is Leroy BTW. Thank you.
Leroy is that you? Glad you finally made it over here to SS. Thanks for providing me the opportunity to own one of the last P400's available. And thanks for your help in assembling the parts. Stay tuned!

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well let's see, where to start for this update. I got my injection pump mounted. I purchased a completely rebuilt DB2831-4911 from Hucksdorf Diesel. This pump is rated at 200 HP and will fill my needs completely.

I also swapped sides with both valve covers so that the PCV opening would be on the drivers side to accomodate the Spinner centrifugal oil filter. More on this later.

I received, media blasted & painted, and temporarily installed two (2) GM rear head coolant covers which already have the 1/2" pipe flange in them to accomodate the coolant return lines to be installed. I needed to get this done in order to make sure the 700R4 TV bracket would fit and work properly, which it does.

I installed my new HMMWV oil pump drive with tachometer fitting on top which I plan to use to drive my new HMMWV tach. More on this later.

DSC_0327 - Copy.jpg DSC_0328 - Copy.jpg DSC_0329 - Copy.jpg DSC_0267 - Copy.jpg DSC_0276 - Copy.jpg

True Knight

I understand Leroy at Leroy Diesel just purchased the last 10 P400's that were available and only 4 of those long blocks are 90-degree-head for side mount turbo, with the other 6 produced for the rear mount HMMWV turbo. So if you are considering the possibility of getting a P400, you need to act fast.
That saddens me. I can’t afford to buy one now and I wanted upgrade to the P400 someday.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's an update. Got the DB2891-4911 injection pump installed; got the new 6.5 injectors and injector lines installed; got the HMMWV crossover water thing installed; got the rear coolant plates installed; got the 700R4 TV bracket installed with rod to make sure everything cleared. Having a ball.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks