• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kinda got carried away..... M1028 rebuild

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, what started out as a simple hood replacement project has escalated into a full-blown frame-up rebuild. Not that my M1028 neeed it, because it is a rust-free Arizona National Guard truck with only 12,500 miles. But once I got started, I quickly and completely lost control of the situation and stripped the entire truck. I am posting the initial photos below, and will add photos as the project progresses.

I had already replaced the rear drum brakes with new discs, see http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/52121-rear-disc-brakes.html , and replaced the steering column with a completely rebuilt tilt unit. Included in the project scope is complete door re-build with all new weatherstripping, new dash and interior items, new seat kit, floor insulation & mat, door sills, windshield & new rubber, headliners, sun visors, pedals, and just about everything else known to man-kind. LMC Truck parts will love me, you can bet on that. I plan to ditch the maroon interior color for black, and will dye/paint the door panels and vent panels black to match the new black OEM dash and seat covers.

It's gonna be a pricey project, however I have committed to doing it. I have never seen a hearse pulling a U-haul, so I might as well spend my cash while I am still alive, can't take it with me to the Hereafter.

As the project progresses, I may need to call on you fine folks for opinions and direction. So, I will thank you all in advance for your help. And also a big Thank You to Bill Kagin (Popacom) for steering me in the right direction.

:grd:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the same boat, but I don't have the luxury of being inside a nice shop like yours. Started out with a simple lift mod and have rebuilt front axle, resealed entire engine along with new timing chain, rust-proofed floorboard then insulated and carpeted interior along with stereo system by Kenwood and a sunroof to take out a dent in the roof that seems to be common to these trucks. Also will be rebuilding trans and transfer case, rear axle, and have changed to 52" front springs and 63" rears with the lift kit I originally set out to do. One thing plus one thing leads to another...

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK folks, here's my first question -

Would it be possible to completely abandon the current instrument cluster for a new custom unit comprised of all new M38A3 gauges?

I can design and build a replacement gauge mounting face fabricated from 1/8" aluminum, correctly shaped and bent to fit precisely as the existing black plastic does. I would need to engineer a top mount structure for this new face, however I have already got that figured out. The M38A3 gauges would simply mount into the holes milled into the new aluminum face. I would set this up in AutoCad and mill the shape and openings in the mounting face on a CNC router. The aluminum mounting face would then be bead blasted and painted 383. What do yall think? is it possible? What problems or obstacles are there to overcome?

I would want a large diameter Speedometer and Tach mounted side-by-side in the middle, and smaller diameter fuel, temp, oil pressure, volt meters (2), and the 24-volt meter mounted on either side. The heater control can be fastened to te back side of the new face, and the BO lights and headlight switch would simply stick through the way they do now. There would be some extra room where a radio would normally be located, however I would use this area for push-button glow plug switching and other switches.

All of the new gauges would have to be hooked up manually, which is part of the goal anyway.

Any comments?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, here's an update - we've got the entire truck stripped apart and are in the process of cleaning, sanding, priming, and first-coat painting the components. Using Gillespie 383 CARC substitute without hardener. Still haven't found one molecule of rust, even in the groove of the door sills. The truck came from Arizona and had sat in the heat for 25 years with the windows rolled up. All the rubber was hard & dry, so all new from LMC will be installed. An antennae had never been installed, so I got a NOS bracket and shield and installed new Nut Certs (see photo). I will continue to post updates as they happen.

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to Nick Danger for the "Heads Up" on the windshield seal from LMC being too big. Would you happen to know the GM OEM part number of the original rubber?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of door & side glass - does anyone know of a source for completely rebuilt vent glass assemblies? LMC has lost their source for the rubber and therefore discontinued the parts. My frames are in excellent condition, as is the glass, however I need to find someone who can rebuild these back to OEM condition.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Mike Gresham

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another update - Saturday, August 21, 2010 -

Got the bumpers repainted and ready to go back on; got the cab interior painted and ready for trim; removed the bed, cleaned, primed, sanded and painted, ready to go back on. Still amazed at the absence of rust, gotta love those Arizona vehicles. Plan to start re-assembly next week.

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am still looking for a source for re-built vent window assemblies. Hope somebody can suggest a source.

Thanks.

roscoe

Nice work. I like the replacement gauge cluster idea. Did you figure out how to make it work? I vote you get rid of the purple seats also and any unnecessary plastic panels.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well folks, I am ready to begin reassembly, and have a question regarding side marker lenses on the front fenders. I purchased new lenses from LMC, however these things are Chinese junk. One broke before I even got it installed!

Does anybody know of a source for higher-quality lenses, or possibly NOS units?

Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks