• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kinda got carried away..... M1028 rebuild

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update - Got the new GEP vented fuel pump mounted and fabricated/installed a new fuel line; installed the coolant bypass hose and fittings; had my original 1984 Delco starter completely rebuilt and installed, along with the correct starter bracket - hot-wired 24-volt from my truck to test the bendix and check gear clearance. It was perfect; Received/installed the new ARB flexplate bolts (thanks again Ken). Next, I will mount the torque converter in the Bowtie 700R4 and install the transmission to the engine. Here are a few photos -

Attachments

LT67

Update - Got the new GEP vented fuel pump mounted and fabricated/installed a new fuel line; installed the coolant bypass hose and fittings; had my original 1984 Delco starter completely rebuilt and installed, along with the correct starter bracket - hot-wired 24-volt from my truck to test the bendix and check gear clearance. It was perfect; Received/installed the new ARB flexplate bolts (thanks again Ken). Next, I will mount the torque converter in the Bowtie 700R4 and install the transmission to the engine. Here are a few photos -
Bowtie 700R??

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bowtie 700R??
Yes a Level 2 K-case 700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives in Hesperia, CA http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/

The owner is Chris Gardner who owns and drives a M1008 as his daily driver and knows how to build/set-up a 700R4 for diesel application. I purchased a Level 2 from him which is rated for 450 HP and 450 FPT. I’m planning on attaching the 700R4 to my P400 over the weekend and will post photos next week.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
November 14, 2018 Update -

Got my 700R4 transmission installed. Installed a new Derale pan with cooling tubes. Installed a HMMWV temperature sending unit in the big bung but have ordered new AutoMeter gauges and will install the AutoMeter-specific sending unit in the small bung when it arrives. Hooked up the 700R4 TV cable to the bracket and injection pump and properly adjusted the cable length. I inserted an aftermarket transmission dipstick but I'm not crazy about it. Thinking about looking for a GM tube and dipstick which would be correct. Having fun.

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had to slightly modify the cast aluminum dust cover but it went on without a hitch. The cover I got off Ebay must have been from a SBC because the opening for the starter hub was too small. My 700R4 also did not have a threaded boss for the bolt over the starter, so I just cut off the top end to clear the starter hub, no biggie. Also, because of the P400 girdle and special cast aluminum oil pan, I had to cut off the flared radius which would normally go around the rear main seal. After cutting off the flare, the dust cover fit right up against the oil pan like it was made for it.

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New thread? This one hasen't reached 50 pages yet. Did you ever get your headers in? Any pics of them?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New thread? This one hasen't reached 50 pages yet. Did you ever get your headers in? Any pics of them?
Ironic that you asked Ken. I actually just test-fit the headers to make sure the starter cleared. Here are a few photos -

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pics look good mike. So far what is your opinion of them? How is the quality? Do they look heavy duty? Do you think they will last?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pics look good mike. So far what is your opinion of them? How is the quality? Do they look heavy duty? Do you think they will last?
Ken; I have owned/installed numerous sets of headers on my cars over the past 50 years but these Stan's Headers are the first on one of my trucks. These things are built tough like the military would build them. The manifold plate is a full 1/4" thick and the tubes are thick and heavy. All welds are nice and the machining is top-notch. The ceramic coating is inside-and-out and the set came with the 3" muffler-side flanges for easy exhaust attachment. I could not be happier. The quality is unsurpassed. The only thing I had to do was to source the special small-wrench metric bolts, as Stan's came with US threaded bolts. I found these at Bel-Metric Inc. www.belmetric.com , #BF110x25YLW. They were $1.24 each and worked perfect. The headers will probably be the last things I install on the engine prior to lifting it into the truck. I have already measured everything compared to my M1028 engine bay and it appears there will be no issues regarding clearance. Regarding if they will last, I am certain they will last as long as I do, and probably a little while longer.

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man I would love to hear it running with headers and I different exhaust. What size pipes are at the collectors?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man I would love to hear it running with headers and I different exhaust. What size pipes are at the collectors?
When I get this thing running I will make a video and post it for everyone's enjoyment or dismay.

The collectors are 3". I plan on running 3" straight-through Flowmasters or Magnaflow with a gentle sweep to exit right in front of the rear tires.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran 2 1/2 inch pipes through the quietest mufflers I could find on my 1028A1. Then turned it down just before the rear axle. There was a big difference in seat of the pants power. I hope you see a bigger gain than I did.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran 2 1/2 inch pipes through the quietest mufflers I could find on my 1028A1. Then turned it down just before the rear axle. There was a big difference in seat of the pants power. I hope you see a bigger gain than I did.
The reason I plan to turn the 3" pipes out in front of the rear tires is to create a slight negative pressure in the system to help pull the exhaust gasses out. I will extend the pipes out to be even with the rear tire face on each side and cut the pipe-ends in-line with the airflow. Might not be much, but every little bit helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks