• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kinda got carried away..... M1028 rebuild

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No I have not yet installed the factory 4000 rpm GM tach. After I rehabed from both hip surgeries, my neurosurgeon is now telling me I must have another back surgery soon. It is starting to look like I will need to hire somebody to install the tach and do a few remaining things on my truck. Man, getting old really sucks.

Skinny

No I have not yet installed the factory 4000 rpm GM tach. After I rehabed from both hip surgeries, my neurosurgeon is now telling me I must have another back surgery soon. It is starting to look like I will need to hire somebody to install the tach and do a few remaining things on my truck. Man, getting old really sucks.
Get better soon dude! Don't worry about the tach, health always comes first.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back surgery is postponed until I get both knees replaced. Right knee replacement scheduled for February 23, left knee a few weeks after that.

legendman

Back surgery is postponed until I get both knees replaced. Right knee replacement scheduled for February 23, left knee a few weeks after that.
Hope your feel better soon, the truck will still be there waiting...
Just joined today, found this thread from a google search, very cool truck.
I have a 83 K20 6.2 that I want to do a CUCV look a like on, CUCV's are too much around my parts.

Skinny

Just reading through this thread on the hi-steer install.

How did you make out with your surgery Sharecropper? We want to see you get better to tackle that factory GM tach install :)

Hope all is well!

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, it has been a heck of a ride for me since last summer. In August of last year I had my left hip replaced. Then a month later I had my right hip replaced. Then on February 23, just 2 months ago, I had my right knee replaced. Next Monday I have an appointment with my neurosurgeon to decide what to do about my degenerative disc disease. Probably need another back surgery, which will be my third since 2007. Man getting old sucks.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
UPDATE -

Major back surgery postponed until next March. Got my 12-bolts sand-blasted & painted. Mounted new BFG's with Trail Worthy's inserts. Installed new steel 2" spacers. Running Centromatic balancers between spacers & wheels. Absolutely smooth ride with 45 psi tire pressure. Here's a photo -

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking boss Sir. Tranny soon?
Yeah Recovery, I'm thinking 700R4 might have to be next. I already have a factory tv bracket and OEM tv cable, as well as the correct taller case adapter. And I know where I will buy the rebuilt tranny. However I am still struggling with what to do about the transfer case. The 700R4 output shaft will not mate with the NP208 due to spline count, so the only way to make the two work together is to purchase a special output shaft from Advance Adapters to the tune of $500 bucks or tear into the 208 and change the female input. And my thinking is, instead of tearing into the 208 I may as well go ahead and install a bullet-proof NP205. Your thoughts? I'm spending my daughter's inheritance so I don't care what it costs. Decisions, decisions.

Chaski

Yeah Recovery, I'm thinking 700R4 might have to be next. I already have a factory tv bracket and OEM tv cable, as well as the correct taller case adapter. And I know where I will buy the rebuilt tranny. However I am still struggling with what to do about the transfer case. The 700R4 output shaft will not mate with the NP208 due to spline count, so the only way to make the two work together is to purchase a special output shaft from Advance Adapters to the tune of $500 bucks or tear into the 208 and change the female input. And my thinking is, instead of tearing into the 208 I may as well go ahead and install a bullet-proof NP205. Your thoughts? I'm spending my daughter's inheritance so I don't care what it costs. Decisions, decisions.
Go big. That NP 205 does not have a very deep low range. Might as well build up a 203/205 doubler if you want to dive off the deep end. Check out what Offroad Design offers.

Or you could just do the easy thing and swap out that input on your 208. It really is easy, requires no special tools. All you need is some solvent, a tube of RTV, some trans-goo or similar sticky grease, and the 27 spline input. If you really want to go the extra mile you could put a seal and bearing kit in your transfer case.

Personally I kind of like the 208, it is light, has a nice deep low range, is plentiful and cheap to acquire and rebuild. I have never managed to damage mine, it seems like with a naturally aspirated diesel I just don't have enough horsepower to scatter one. Not to say I would not run a 205, but I don't think I would unless I had a doubler.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would side on swapping inputs and a light rebuild. Another option is to pick up a used 208 or 241 and freshen up one of those. The 205 is stupid strong but the 1.96 low isn't the best and they are quite heavy. I have one here going in one of.my trucks that's getting a 4 speed. Later it will get a Lomax case. Unless you are going to beat the heck out of it, stick with the 208. Of course, that is just my opinion and well, most folks have one.

CUCVLOVER

My truck is 08 (that's what the data plate says) so it has a 208. I have pulled the weight sled at the truck pull twice without hurting it. So I really like 208 so I would stick with it.
Thats just my experience and you can do as you wish

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks