• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DXTAC

Just curious! I may get inspired from some responses!!!

Today I replaced all three belts. It was pretty easy and I used the Dayco numbers supplied in the specification section. I mounted a 20MM ammo can for my console. I mounted a 50 Cal. ammo can to use as a small tool box on the mount in the rear behind the bench seat. I removed the sill plates to see what might be lurking under them. Thankfully all looked good, nice and solid! Lastly, I got a quote for a roll bar of sorts. I have twin six year old and we ride topless and the sun beating down on them is just too much so I am having a bar fabricated to attach a bikini top of sorts to. $200.00, not too shabby.

Thanks all!!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt65

Replaced front cracked windshield, and upgraded to a sliding rear glass for the summer. Replaced a damaged rear bumper. Plugged the holes in the top of the cab from where it had a light bar in the Ga Forestry. Located the gun racks, need to install those.

OL AG '89

I like the 20mm can for the console..... are you adding cup holders?
I just took off the front cowling to repaint.... and cleaning the grunge from under it..... didn't find anything of value..... just a web of old leaves and pine needles.... looked in real good shape for age.....
I am also cleaning up the insides.. pulling seat frames and painting them this weekend.... I want to do a bedliner but keep changing mind to do a thick one and leave as is or do thin and then add insulation and indoor/outdoor carpet or astroturf.....

also looking to fab a couple of antenna mounts with guards... I gave up trying to buy.... might not be true original, but hope to get close.....
Finally going to Limo tint the side and rear windows.... don't want too many eyes looking into to see the stuff in the boxes...... fabbed some storage boxes to resemble the old 4.2 inch rocket boxes we use to have in the Cav for the cobra's.....
Still working on paint and lids....

Oh yea and drove it around the block a couple times with my best buddy ..... my black lab.....!!:)

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced some dash lights. Removed the gas can mount in back. Installed inside rear view mirror. Wednesday new bushings, body mounts and 3" body lift.

hounddog

Hey DXTAC, what were the part numbers for the seatbelts? Just completed a new passenger side rocker, replaced cracked windshield with a new one that has the antenna. Installing a radio will be next.

2deuce

Yesterday I bypassed the glow plug resistor and did the Doghead starter relay mod. Then took the M1009 on a 400+ mile trip. One thing I also did was buy some 255/85/16 wheels and tires. I got them used and cheap so I gave them a try. There is some difference in acceleration from a stop but I think it runs in the powerband better for freeway driving. I can keep up with freeway traffic without all those revs.:beer:

I didn't notice before that my parts truck M1009 had the Doghead starter relay wired in as the glow plug relay. I saw it there but until I bought the new starter relay I didn't know what that was.

DXTAC

hounddog - The belt was in the truck when I got it. The only thing that is on the belt is the DOT tag that reads Allied Signal 19207/Assembly. I can tell you that is was too short and I had to buy a 12" extender from JCWhitney.

I recently picked up some REALLY nice seats out of a Pontiac Vibe (2007 I believe) that will be going in soon. The buckle portion that fails and falls to the floor in the 1009's is built into these seats and the belt latch works with the seats built in buckle!! The seat airbags are being sold and will cover the cost of the seats too!! I just have to be creative and devise some kind of mounts that don't look too tacky.

OL AG '89 - I haven't yet decided what I'm gonna do for cup holders. I do have the dashboard radio mount and was thinking of something like the pic below?!?! I may also go flat across the dash a bit to allow the mounting of GPS, gauges etc. For right now I have the old style plastic door hangers that I'm using.

Attachments

Last edited:

Marschmallow

Pulled and had transmission rebuilt, new rear main seal, suspension, tires, fuel pump, rubber fuel line, battery, radio, cupholders, new volt gauge with numbers, auxillary driving lights, reattatched dash cover, interior light, lubricate inner door window crank assemblies, snorkel, receiver hitch front and rear, flat 4 wire trailer plug, steering dampener shock, fix exhaust hanger out of mount, front driveshaft from a 3/4 ton Dodge, tailgate window crank assy, rubber brake lines, thermostat, spin-on fuel filter, undercoating, new tie rod boots, winch, ......

Attachments

Last edited:

IdahoPlowboy

Started off with service of the front hubs with new bearings. Then new seat covers from jatonka,Replaced all the door rubber replaced the dash pad and cluster clean and repair.It is in the body shop today for a full tailgate repair with many new parts. Forgot that I also replaced the shocks and steering stabilizer.

1986Blazerk5

In the last 2 months:
Pulled and had transmission rebuilt, new rear main seal, suspension, tires, fuel pump, rubber fuel line, battery, radio, cupholders, new volt gauge with numbers, auxillary driving lights, reattatched dash cover, interior light, lubricate inner door window crank assemblies, snorkel, receiver hitch under pintle, flat 4 wire trailer plug, steering dampener shock, fix exhaust hanger out of mount, front driveshaft from a 3/4 ton Dodge, tailgate window crank assy......
I'm Jealous!!

Looks AWESOME

grayw0lf

I took off the stock front bumper & built a new one to accomodate a 17.5k winch with 3"x3"x.25" angle, nicely done. I cut the stock brackets off the brush guard & I will weld it back on tonight with some more angle brackets. I still have to put outer support brackets on the new bumper.

I'm anxious to get stuck again!

beanman1

well i have made an antennae mount for mine,also made a light bar for it installed a push button for the glow plugs, cd player and a cb radio center console from a civii k5 and turned up the injection pump it is my daily driver so a/c is going to be my next mod along with a body lift if i can find one o and every chance i get i hit the local mud hole

Attachments

DXTAC

I just finished air chiseling and grinding off the goofy mounting brackets for the aftermarket seats I am going to install. They are sweet! Off of a 2007 Vibe. Now it's time for a swim and a beer. Enough work for today!!

CycleJay

re: What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

Hi all,

The only thing I have been able to do with mine lately is,
driving it to and from work, without incident.

The things that need to be done are fairly minor,
so I am going to do them as I have time and money.

I will keep you all posted on things I do with it,
that are either important enough or worth posting about.

On another note, when I recovered this vehicle on Friday June 4th.
I took a good thorough look over it, started and ran the engine for a little while before moving it, test drove it around the block
(in a very low populated, out of the way neighborhood).
Also, the mechanics at the shop I bought it from did a look over while I was there before I drove it home, and pointed out the minor issues it did have.
So then I drove it slowly and carefully all the way home (less then 14 miles...) on backroads, just to be on the safe side.
And by the way here in Georgia, you have 30 days to get a vehicle insured, titled, and tagged, in the mean time, it is legal to drive it until the 30 days are up.

By the way, on my recovery drive home, I did not have a single thing go wrong, except for the battery dying once,
while filling it up with gas, and after a quick jump start, all went well til I got home.
And it has been running perfect ever since.

So on your future recovery trips, be safe, inspect it yourself, have it inspected, and if safe, drive it home if you can do it legally, if in doubt, like the other poster said, "If in doubt, trailer it out..."

Good luck and Have a good day,

CJ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks