• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Knight

I'd suggest looking on craigslist. The guy i bought mine from had 3 more just like it. And fortunately, he was in the middle of a turbo conversion so i got plenty of tips on what to do.
I have tried looking on craigslist a few times in the last couple of days with no luck. If you could pm me the link to that listing that would be great! Thanks.

rjinga

I installed new, correct amperage, fuses in the fuse box. This included removing some previously installed "creative" wiring .

I also built a portable ice cooler AC unit for my M1009. I'll let you know how well it does in the GA summer heat.

Attachments

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was headed home the other day in the M1028 and noticed a rattling noise when braking and steering. I pulled over and found that the rear power steering pump bracket had lost its' adjustment bolt and was making all the noise.

The high pressure hose from the pump to the brake booster had been leaking for some time, so I figured this was as good a time as any to fix it. I removed the pump and found that only one bolt that holds the pump to the bracket was still present. I had to pull the pulley off and put on new bolts with locktite. Reinstalled the pulley and replaced all 4 hoses.

I had new belts and installed those as well. Moving the power steering bracket to tighten the belt was quite an adventure. I ended up using a little wooden block and a crowbar against the frame to get it tight.

I also managed to tighten the battery connector nut on the GEN1 alternator so much that it wouldn't loosen without spinning the stud also. I had to take the alternator apart while still connected to the truck to get the stud out. Luckily, the stud has a nut on the inside and a square portion in the middle of it. I was able to loosen the exterior nut and will try to not tighten them so much next time.

The belts I used were -

Power Steering - Carquest XL 7450
GEN 1 - Carquest XL 7575
GEN 2 - Carquest XL 7485 (11A1230)

All 3 of these belts have matching numbers to the ones I took off the truck and I am the first owner since the AZ National Guard. The power steering belt was a Gates 8453. The GEN 2 belt was a Dayco 11A1230.

Still on the list -

New kingpin bushings
New steering stabilizer
New tires
Repair dash lighting (again)
Fix non working front marker light

Last edited:

jvrotter

Finally got around to changing my shocks. Boy, the old ones seemed like they had nothing in them. Was going to do the stabilizer at the same time but 4 wheel parts gave me the wrong model. So I'll wait till I get back to LA and swap it out.

jets1959

I was headed home the other day in the M1028 and noticed a rattling noise when braking and steering. I pulled over and found that the rear power steering pump bracket had lost its' adjustment bolt and was making all the noise.

The high pressure hose from the pump to the brake booster had been leaking for some time, so I figured this was as good a time as any to fix it. I removed the pump and found that only one bolt that holds the pump to the bracket was still present. I had to pull the pulley off and put on new bolts with locktite. Reinstalled the pulley and replaced all 4 hoses.

I had new belts and installed those as well. Moving the power steering bracket to tighten the belt was quite an adventure. I ended up using a little wooden block and a crowbar against the frame to get it tight.

I also managed to tighten the battery connector nut on the GEN1 alternator so much that it wouldn't loosen without spinning the stud also. I had to take the alternator apart while still connected to the truck to get the stud out. Luckily, the stud has a nut on the inside and a square portion in the middle of it. I was able to loosen the exterior nut and will try to not tighten them so much next time.

The belts I used were -

Power Steering - Carquest XL 7450
GEN 1 - Carquest XL 7575
GEN 2 - Carquest XL 7485 (11A1230)

All 3 of these belts have matching numbers to the ones I took off the truck and I am the first owner since the AZ National Guard. The power steering belt was a Gates 8453. The GEN 2 belt was a Dayco 11A1230.

Still on the list -

New kingpin bushings
New steering stabilizer
New tires
Repair dash lighting (again)
Fix non working front marker light
Please show pic's if you can of where you used the wooden block and the pry bar for the pump belt adjustment. Thanks, Dwayne

chief1983

I got the inner seal on but can not seem to get the outer seal in. Is there a trick to getting it in? Inner seal pushes the glass out to far.
Patience was my trick. And a rubber mallet. Screwdriver wasn't really helping. I just tapped each clip down with the mallet along the line, didn't damage the seal the way I did it, but be careful. It was tight at first, I felt like I was going to break the handle rolling it up after I finally got it in, but 24 hours later it had conformed to its new shape and the window moves as easily as before now. At first I thought I had somehow reversed the glass and the curve was the wrong direction, but I don't think it'd even go into the channels if I'd done that.

top_prop

Re did rear brakes... new shoes springs and cylinders... new rubber line, and blead...

by passed the black out switch because none of the lights nor turn signals would work.

replace the wait, 4x4, an oil lights with leds... the gen lights don't like leds....

now need to install the new calipers and replace the lines up front.

then do 12V bypass and replace the military glow plugs with the ac60g's I've got sitting on the shelf.

Then trouble shoot transmission... isn't up shifting until its really winding out and the filler tube is loose and wobbly...

if its not one thing its another with this truck... but eventually it will work out... right?
:)

Lurchwolf

So I finished up my 350 conversion to replace the 6.2 and took it for the first test drive. I have to tell you what a difference! Lots of power, and I think she will be more dependable if nothing else because I was forced to fix all the lousy wiring problems it came with. Gonna do a filter change tomorrow, and bring it to a buddy's house to get it cleaned up.

jets1959

Re did rear brakes... new shoes springs and cylinders... new rubber line, and blead...

by passed the black out switch because none of the lights nor turn signals would work.

replace the wait, 4x4, an oil lights with leds... the gen lights don't like leds....

now need to install the new calipers and replace the lines up front.

then do 12V bypass and replace the military glow plugs with the ac60g's I've got sitting on the shelf.

Then trouble shoot transmission... isn't up shifting until its really winding out and the filler tube is loose and wobbly...

if its not one thing its another with this truck... but eventually it will work out... right?
:)
Check your vaccum pressure at the trans. and work backwards. Vaccum lines are the normal cause, but mine was the vaccum pump2cents

jets1959

So I finished up my 350 conversion to replace the 6.2 and took it for the first test drive. I have to tell you what a difference! Lots of power, and I think she will be more dependable if nothing else because I was forced to fix all the lousy wiring problems it came with. Gonna do a filter change tomorrow, and bring it to a buddy's house to get it cleaned up.
What are you going to do with the 6.2? If you don't want it I will be glad to take it off your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks