• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a new toy - USMC KLR250 (almost a M1030)

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally found a military vehicle I can afford. It's a 1986 KLR250 motorcycle built for the Marines. This is the early version from the 80's. The military bought a second batch of these bikes in 1991 and called them M1030's. There is little difference between the two bikes as very little changed on these bikes over the years. I made the deal a couple weeks ago but had to wait till this weekend before I could get a trailer and haul it home. Don't know anything about the history of it as the guy I got it from bought it from someone else and he never asked. The engine runs but needs work to the cam chain from the sounds of it (a common problem with these bikes). Not sure if I want to put a big bore kit in the original engine for a little extra power or see if an engine from a KLX400 will fit. The bike does have the blackout lights but is missing the control switch for them. The fuel can on the rear rack is not for extra fuel. It's actually the gas tank. The stock gas tank has rotted out. So the first thing I'm looking for is a replacement gas tank.

Ruppster

Attachments

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now for part two of my early Christmas. A common mod for the KLR250's is to use the front fork setup from the bigger KLR650 (which was also used by the military later on). Last weekend I started talking to a guy that was parting out a KLR650 as I was interested in the forks. So this afternoon I went out to see the parts bike and to buy the forks. Turnes out the seller was a sniper in Desert Storm and they used the M1030. He did his civillian KLR650 as a desert Storm bike. He bought a newer model and took off all the military style plastic from his old bike to put on his new bike. Now he is selling off the old chassis that's painted in desert sand (minus the tank, seat, and fenders - plus a few odd bits). We worked out a deal for the bike as it is so instead of a set of forks I have added a second bike to the collection. I plan on doing this KLR650 up as a Desert Storm bike. Might replace the single cylinder 650 engine with the two cylinder engine from a EX650 to make the bike a bit more highway friendly.

So the past two weeks have made for an early Christmas this year. :D

Ruppster

Attachments

you dog! I was just about to pm SixSpeed about that bike! Oh well, I hope you have fun with it, it looks like a good buy.

1958 M274

I plan on doing this KLR650 up as a Desert Storm bike. Might replace the single cylinder 650 engine with the two cylinder engine from a EX650 to make the bike a bit more highway friendly.
More highway friendly? I'm not a big motorcycle guy but I have an M1030B1 (KLR650) and it'll go a lot faster than I care to ride it. With 42 HP it'll cruise effortlessly just off idle at 45MPH and has plenty of get up and go on the hills! I haven't ridden it on the highway, but I wouldn't think it would have any trouble at those speeds.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtcd1kSdlQY[/media]

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you dog! I was just about to pm SixSpeed about that bike! Oh well, I hope you have fun with it, it looks like a good buy.
When it's time it's time and it looks like it was your time to get a break, congrads on your find ......8)
Thanks guys.

More highway friendly? I'm not a big motorcycle guy but I have an M1030B1 (KLR650) and it'll go a lot faster than I care to ride it. With 42 HP it'll cruise effortlessly just off idle at 45MPH and has plenty of get up and go on the hills! I haven't ridden it on the highway, but I wouldn't think it would have any trouble at those speeds.
I came across that clip last week. It was cool to see the bikes in action. I've owned a couple of other thumpers in the past (one 500 and one 600, both Honda XL's) and while they have enough power to handle highway speeds the single cylinder leads to a lot of vibration. I had to stop about once every hour in order to get feeling back in my hands and backside. :) I like to go for long rides (like 300 to 400 miles) and while I know the KLR650 isn't the best choice for that kind of riding if I can fit an EX650 without to much trouble and reduce the engine vibration by 20 percent yet still have a bike with good off road ability then I'll be happy. :D

To my knowledge there haven't been any diesel powered bikes sold yet. GL did auction off a new in the crate gas 650 a few months ago. It sold for more that the gov paid for it new!
I'm glad you could understand what she asked. :D Would love to get my hands on one of those diesel engines from HDT but would hate to see how much it would cost for one. From what I understand HDT has a rebuild program with the military so I doubt you will see any reach GL for a long, long time. Five years ago there was talk of them selling a civillian bike with the same engine but the price was supposed to be around $18,000. It would take a lot of riding in order to break even on the price of fuel. As far as the GL auction those pics you posted came from the final price on that one got me too. I saved all the pictures from that item to my hard drive as reference photos.

Ruppster

nhdiesel

Because you want to do a Desert Storm bike, you might like mine. There were a couple body panels left to paint, but you get the idea.

HPIM04041.jpg
HPIM04051.jpg

Pics are the "Iron Butt Motel" I stayed at...for those unaware, that is the term for rest stop picnic tables commonly used for naps. It was welcome after working all day, then riding from northern NH to PA, through 43 deg. rain for several hours, then fog and mist through the night. A warm, dry picnic table was too good to pass up.

Jim

suboms

That is Cool. I bought a couple M1030b1 all decked out is USMC. Being Army I am thinking about painting it sand color and resticker it to US ARMY.

usafe7ret

300 - 400 mile days on the KLR650 are routine and done by quite a few riders. Check out the ADVriders.com forum for tips on rebuilding your "new" bike. KLR650.net is another source you might check on for info/parts support as needed.

I would love to get one of those 1030M1 all-fuel bikes! That would be a blast for my Prudhoe Bay - Tiero del Fuego dream trip!

Good luck on your resto project.

parlusk

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtcd1kSdlQY[/media]
how do you get that job?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks