• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's this space heater all about?

jesusgatos

Hunter Manufacturing Company SHA space heater. The SHA provides heat in a range from 15, 000 to 25, 000 BTU/ hour. It is designed to be used in small to medium size shelters in moderate to arctic conditions. The SHA also functions as a food warmer and operates with various types of liquid or solid fuel. Operable with Liquid Fuels: JP-5, JP-8, Diesel (DF-A, DF-1, DF-2), Kerosene, Jet-A & Solid Fuels (Coal, Wood).

NSN: 4520014442375
Part #: MIL-PRF-44494 TYII-S

Engine5

I have 8 or 9 of them. I got them for the EMA last year. Though we have not used them yet they look simple and straight
forward. The hardest thing will be to find the fuel cans for them. If the kits are complete they will have the fuel can adapter and the fuel can stand. They have 10' stacks to reach through the top of the tents. I have been told that 2 are need to give good heat in a GP medium tent. I hope to test them out in the fall.
We also purchased 9 of the immersion heaters for cold weather mass decon situations. Im hoping for a full scale exercise this winter to test everything. If you like I can scan some pages of the TM and send them to you.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just purchased and sold some of them here a couple of months back. They are really nice heaters. Very compact design, and unlike the larger H45 and M1941 heaters, these are totally self contained. Every part including the stack tucks away neatly inside of the heater itself. As for the tripod, that is an optional accessory, and the heaters from GL will probably NOT come with them.

Space Heater
NSN: 4520-01-444-2375
Part #: MIL-PRF-44494 TYII-SHA
Part #: MILH12340
Weight: 50 LBS
Height: 17 Inches
Width: 9 Inches
Diameter: 17.5 Inches
Heat Delivery Rate: 27,000 BTU
Fuel Type:
DF-A Arctic Diesel Fuel Oil
DF-1 Winter Diesel Fuel Oil
DF-2 Regular Diesel Fuel Oil
JP-5 Jet Fuel
Kerosene
Solid Fuel
General Purpose Use: 5 and 10 Man Arctic Tents
(This is a direct replacement for the old M1950 Yukon Stove)
Optional Items Ordered Separately:
Collapsible Fuel Can Stand NSN: 4520-01-465-4430
Fuel Hose Kit NSN: 4520-01-466-0420
Gravity Fed Kit NSN: 4520-01-466-0415
Fuel Control Valve NSN: 4520-01-466-0409

Hunter Manufacturing Company SHA space heater. The SHA provides heat in a range from 15, 000 to 25, 000 BTU/ hour. It is designed to be used in small to medium size shelters in moderate to arctic conditions. The SHA also functions as a food warmer and operates with various types of liquid or solid fuel. Operable with Liquid Fuels: JP-5, JP-8, Diesel (DF-A, DF-1, DF-2), Kerosene, Jet-A & Solid Fuels (Coal, Wood).

NSN: 4520014442375
Part #: MIL-PRF-44494 TYII-S
If you are looking for 1 or 2 of these, I have some new in the box.

Seth_O

Reviving this thread: has anyone actually USED one of these? I've been looking for a space heater for a tent for a while, this seems like it might work well, but I am naturally dubious until I can get a first-hand account.

Anyone have any experience using one?

Stonepicker1

Back in 2003/2004 over in northern Iraq, I built a wooden 12x16 shower for my Soldiers. I set one of these heater up inside and it did a great job of keeping the building warm when it was 24deg outside. You can adjust the temp and is easy to setup. I only used it for about a month untill my electric heaters came in.

Easy to setup/take down. I burned DF2 in it. Overall not a bad heater.2cents

Chief_919

Oh, cool. Any multi-fuel or diesel-fired versions? Would love to see some pictures or find more info about those, just out of curiosity.

I sell the immersion heaters, I have a bunch new in the crate.

US Military Immersion Heaters

Made for Gasoline, but they run on diesel fine, it just makes them a tad harder- but much safer- to light. I run one on diesel by squirting a bit of Coleman fuel from a squeeze bottle in to start it.

Attachments

Keith_J

What are immersion heaters?
Old school devices better known for eyebrow removal :mrgreen:

They are a "donut" made from stainless that had a draft pipe and exhaust pipe sticking up out of a drum of water. Gasoline was dripped down the draft pipe and lit. The resulting draft will pull the flames down, through the donut and up the exhaust pipe, if properly lit. But putting too much gasoline in before lighting will flash back, usually taking all exposed hair with it.

They work well, heating 40 gallons of water in about an hour. Can be used for heating MRE entrees or washing dishes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks