• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1943 German Army BMW R75 w/sidecar and trailer. 1/2.

tamangel

a local car show yielded this beauty today, a 1943 German Army BMW R75 w/sidecar and trailer....

He owned a Messerschmitt (car) before this. I asked what was next? He said, maybe a Kettenkrad..!

Mike

Attachments

gpp111

track

My halftrack is post war Czech. The Czechs manufactured halftracks for the German army during the war and fired the line back up after the war to manufacture halftracks for their army. The wheel arrangement, size, and capacity was nearly identical to the German built unit. The largest difference was the Germans used a 6 cyl Maybach gas engine, the Czechs an 11 litre air cooled V-8 diesel. The halftrack has been modified to look more closely to the German unit with the exception it still has the diesel engine.

paulfarber

Chang jiang 750 M1

They use the same tooling.. so other than some minor rework and paint you would have to be almost an expert to tell the difference.

I see almost a dozen Chanj-Jiangs at every WWII event I go to. Will be at one on Fri/Sat and I get at least 2 show up.

Like kubelwagons there are some pretty good repros... but the originals are not really out and about. So if you see a kubel or BMW 99% of the time its a repop.

MD Juan in the phillipines has many of the original jeep dies.. and they make so many 'new' jeeps every year that again, most of the jeeps you see at a show are repops.

My 42 has a few MD Juan panels... but 80%+ is still original 1942 production.

And that trailer is most likely Swiss.

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also the "german" trailer is swiss and was avialable at Colemans several years ago.

davidkroberts

that did look like the same pintel hook that was on my unimog 404 so i can see it being a swiss trailer. It doesnt really matter to me though i would prefer the repo over the original. Im not going to take a 75000 dollar bike out riding just for the kicks but i will a 5000 dollar repo bike like a ural. Might even see if the legendary offroad ability has anything to it.

Like the trailer setup, Ive been looking long and hard at the Urals the guy sells on ebay. I havent had an odd military vehicle in awhile. Its time I took the plunge again.

Taurus454

The BMW's seats and mount look post-war from what I can tell. Definitely not a Ural or Dnepr. Could be a frankenbike with original and post war parts. Would need to see it close up to be able to really tell.

The half-track and bike are beauties though[thumbzup] I'd take either one for sure :p

Tom

paulfarber

Must burn through the clutches with all that crap in tow.

Are there any photographs actually showing such a setup?

I've seen photos of jeeps towing 2-4 1/4ton trailers.. but not many motorcycle-ammo cart-ammo cart-PAK combos.

Taurus454

Interesting! Must be done south. If I tried driving my Dnepr down the street with a dummy DP-28, the Maryland State Police would ram me off the road and then shoot me for good measure. :evil: Imagine someone wanting to have an "evil" gun! Everbody knows only the police are trained to handle such things on the streets of America :soapbox:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen that combination in action. It doesn't fly but moves good. At the time those pics taken it was in West Bend WI.

Here's one I spotted in Rhinebeck, NY.

Attachments

rideni

Interesting! Must be done south. If I tried driving my Dnepr down the street with a dummy DP-28, the Maryland State Police would ram me off the road and then shoot me for good measure. :evil: Imagine someone wanting to have an "evil" gun! Everbody knows only the police are trained to handle such things on the streets of America :soapbox:
Really, because I've driven down the street with live mounted weapons and nothing happens.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks