• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gasoline and WMO mix ?

Gun Chuck

I want to use recyled fuel in my multifuel M35A2 deuce and a halfs. They are NOT daily drivers.

I have a shop giving me a barrel or so a week of gasoline salvaged from junked vehicles. I am also collecting waste motor oil, but its seems harder to come by - shops either burn their oil in a furnace or sell to recylers.

What is the strongest/best ratio of stale gasoline to WMO you would use as fuel long term in your multifuel ?

What is the highest ratio of gas to WMO you can safely filter thru a centrifuge ? ( I don't have the centrifuge yet )

Any way to filter salvaged gasoline to safely use in everyday gasoline powered civilian vehicles ?

Any other tips or suggestions for using salvaged gasoline ?

kurtkds

My last Tank was as such, 35gal WMO on top of Diesel to top off the tank. I ran the tank down about half way then added in 10 Gal of Gasoline with plans of topping it off this weekend with WMO.

What I have found that works for me in the summer around here is 80/20% WMO/Gas. Spring and Fall is 50/50 WMO/diesel and 100% Diesel in the winter.

I have run 80/20% WMO/Diesel but Power output is less than normal and is reflected in the EGT temps.

I have the IP turned up on the Deuce and with 100% Diesel I can get to 1100+ Deg no problem, but with 80/20% I top out at about 950 Deg.

Talk about being a dog on the hills!![thumbzup]

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The standard mix for 100 gallons of "Wreckerman's Special Deuce Elixer" is:

30 gallons WMO

30 gallons WVO

30 gallons diesel fuel

10 gals reg gas

I am in a mild climate so I don't have gelling issues......the gas keeps the WVO thinned out.

My trucks seem to like it just fine.

Your milage may vary.

wb1895

I have actually run into a small supply of aviation WMO. I was told that the WMO is 15W50 and above including some 100w. Anybody see any problems with burning this?????

nhdiesel

Thin it out with some gasoline and/or diesel and you will be fine. Guys burn waste gear oil, as long as its filtered (nasty stuff in there) and thinned down.

My last batch was roughly 10g diesel in the bottom of the tank, 20gal WMO, 6 gal of 2 year old gasoline, and topped off the rest of the way with diesel. No reason for the numbers, just happens to be what I had on hand at the time.

Jim

bgekky3

Gas Buggy Commercial Applications

My dad has a salvage yard and he uses the gas buggy. He uses the reclaimed gas in his rollback (460 Ford) and Michigan loader (swapped in smallblock Chev). He keeps a new filter in the glove box of the rollback. Sometimes the cars sit for several years before being dismantled, and the gas smells bad. If you have an older low compression gasoline engine, it will burn bad gas. The fuel mileage may suffer.

jpekarek

Well I am a believer now! I had approx 1/2 tank of diesel (30 gallons or so) and I went out and poured in 9 gallons of waste peanut oil I cooked 2 turkeys in last Christmas. I heated it first and just let it run through a big paper filter thing I made then straight into the tank. I started it and drove it to the freeway and up to about 50mph. After about 2 miles or so I noticed that the engine was running slightly quieter and seemed a little smoother, ran another 18 miles. I parked it over night and started it this morning and it fired right up no problem. I will run the tank down and check the filters, then give another report.

Billy Bobbed

I always fill up at 1/2 tank.I fill it with reg. gas one week and diesel the next week depending on diesel price.Then I mix with 5 gallons of WMO.During the winter I run reg.gas more mixed with WMO.I think it thins out the oil better than diesel.

mikew

I've been playing around with WMO / Gasoline / Diesel ratios and this is what I think I know....

My truck, a bobbed M35A2, starts on the first crank with straight diesel.

With 70% WMO and 30% diesel it starts the same as with straight diesel (in warmer weather, not sure about cool weather yet and I'll run straight diesel when it's cold).

With 70% WMO and 30% gasoline I've got to crank it a bit to get it started.

The reason for the difference in starting is due to the "autoignition" temperature of the fuels.

Diesel auto-ignites at 410 F, gasoline from 475 F to 536 F, and WMO at 505 F (I need to do more research to confirm this number).

You'll probably want to thin WMO with something, gas or diesel or both. I'm buying my "thinner" at the pump, so I just get diesel because I know it works well, but I have run a batch of fuel that was about 70% WMO, 20% diesel and 10% gas and I couldn't tell any difference between it and the 70/30 WMO/diesel mix.

So... it seems to me adding some diesel too (maybe at least 10% or so?) will help the engine start easier and run smother.

Jimma

I had about 15 gallons of diesel in my deuce the other week and wanted to try some of my wmo and wvo and mixed it in. I added about a gallon of wmo and about 7 gallons of wvo. It has worked just fine. I noticed that the exhaust seemed a little quieter. I got a bonus yesterday when a friend said come over I am scrapping my deuce to build a rock crawler and pumped 35 gallons of diesel into my tank. So far so good using the waste products.

oddshot

I've been playing around with WMO / Gasoline / Diesel ratios and this is what I think I know....

The reason for the difference in starting is due to the "autoignition" temperature of the fuels.

Diesel auto-ignites at 410 F, gasoline from 475 F to 536 F, and WMO at 505 F (I need to do more research to confirm this number).

Hey Mike ... did you ever check out this number?

3ID ARMY BRAT

See I must have done something wrong, I had about 5gals of diesel in the tank when I did this. I put about 8gal of WMO to about 20 gal of gas. My truck was running fine all the way down to the dump, but when I got there she just stopped running. It took me about 20min to get down there, and it took me about four and a half hours to get back. It seems like whenever I would come to a stop my truck would shut down. What is killing me is she runs good when you start her up, but if you try to drive her you only make it about 400 yards.

So does anyone have any ideas before I start tearing into her?
Thank you for any help I can get.

3ID ARMY BRAT

See I must have done something wrong, I had about 5gals of diesel in the tank when I did this. I put about 8gal of WMO to about 20 gal of gas. My truck was running fine all the way down to the dump, but when I got there she just stopped running. It took me about 20min to get down there, and it took me about four and a half hours to get back. It seems like whenever I would come to a stop my truck would shut down. What is killing me is she runs good when you start her up, but if you try to drive her you only make it about 400 yards.

So does anyone have any ideas before I start tearing into her?
Thank you for any help I can get.

jrobinson5093

I would check the fuel filters sounds like they are clogged up. I have been running 100% wmo in my deuce for over two years and have not had any problems. Every now and then in the winter I mix a little of diesel to help it start.

3ID ARMY BRAT

I did check the first filter and it looked to be full of coffee grounds, I don't think that's good. I ended up getting a new JEGS Fuel Filter/Water Separators for the truck. I never got to look at the last two filters on the truck. I can't wait to see what they hold.

nchittendon

I hate to bring an old thread back to life, but I am wanting to make sure I'm clear on some things.
First off, if I'm reading correctly, I can change my oil on the deuce, filter it, and then dump it into the fuel tank?
Second, what size exactly is the fuel tank on the M35a2?
So from what I'm understanding, with a half tank of diesel, I can simply change the oil in the deuce, filter it, and just dump it right in!? That's what, 22 quarts of used oil?

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to bring an old thread back to life, but I am wanting to make sure I'm clear on some things.
First off, if I'm reading correctly, I can change my oil on the deuce, filter it, and then dump it into the fuel tank?
Second, what size exactly is the fuel tank on the M35a2?
So from what I'm understanding, with a half tank of diesel, I can simply change the oil in the deuce, filter it, and just dump it right in!? That's what, 22 quarts of used oil?
That's what I do...after running it through water-block filters and filtered down to 2 microns. The highest ratio of old gasoline to WMO I've ever run has been 30%, and that did well down to almost 0-degrees Fahrenheit. I've also de-watered and filtered gasoline as old as 10 years with no problems, as long as I don't exceed my self-imposed 30% ratio limit (that's just my choice, YMMV). A couple of friends fix up old cars & trucks, and are always giving me the old gas after they drain the fuel tanks. As well as any oil & tranny fluid that comes out of them.

I've found that the best mixture for my Deuce (with the D-series engine) is 50-50 WMO/diesel...of course straight diesel is the best, but what fun is that...

What you will notice is that the more oil you burn, the more soot will build up in your exhaust. My new 5-inch exhaust sooted up QUICKLY with a 25%-diesel/75%-WMO mix.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks