• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air system issues

WOLFMAN1

i finally got my brakes to work on my m35 deuce. the problem i have now. i opened my draincock on the air tank resivor and fluid cam out. some liquid and some foam like dirty like chocalate pudding. when the truck is running the air builds up and the pressure rises. the stuff coming out of the air tank smells like some chemical. maybe gas since i have a gasser but it is almost black. also my wiper blades run on air and the knob is turned all the way off but air is still coming out of the air line on the second wiper. i take the line off and air comes out and the wipers stop. if the truck stalls or i turn it off air is still coming out of the wiper hose. and when i open the air tank there is no air left in it. are the wipers and the air tank conected some how? i only have one working tank the other is disconnected cause of large rust holes in it.
any help would be wonderful.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The air tanks always will have water come out of them. when you pressurize air, the humidity condenses out of it. One of the air tanks is called the wet tank. I think its the one the air compressor pumps to. That water in the air is why you are supposed to drain the tanks after every time you run the truck. Its also why the one tank rusted. The compressor is run as part of the motor, I think I even read that the gassers have engine coolant run through them. Anyway, they should be lubed by the engine's motor oil. Sometimes the rings are not steller and let some motor oil pass to the air tanks. It is not an excellent system, but a pretty darn good one. I have given a brief explanation and could go much farther into detail, but I think this covers most of what you were asking.

WOLFMAN1

thanks any help on other problem

thankyou for the insight, but how do i stop the wipers from running all the time. and does the wipers air come from the air tanks when the truck is not running. reason why is every time the truck stops running the air continues to come out of the wiper hoses. the compressor is off when the engine is off. after the air is gone out of the wiper hose it is also gone from the wet tank. any thoughts on that?:driver:
roflroflrofllet them truckers roll
and what is the whistle everyone talks about? is it a deisel thing?

Jake0147

EVERYTHING runs from the tanks, except the compressor which runs to the tanks. Your brakes work the same as the wipers also.
As mentioned, condensation is normal. That is why the tanks are equipped with drains. You are describing a bit of oil in there as well. Not terribly abnormal in reasonable amounts. It'll be aggravated by two things. Excessive wear in the compressor, or a restricted air inlet to the compressor. There are instructions for cleaning the compressor air inlet filter/strainer/bug catcher thing. And a third thing comes to mind that's NOT in the manual. Over cycling the compressor (not enough "off" time between "on" times) can make them run kind of hot and pass a bit of oil as well. One of the best ways to do this is to have an inadequately sized air reservoir such as a missing tank, especially with the wipers running, which have a very high demand on the air system.
The wipers both run from the same switch. The switch draws air from the air tank. If there's still air in the tank, the wipers should still work. When the wiper switch is fully off, there should be no air escaping past it, externally or to the wiper motors. Both motors (should) receive air equally, but it's quite normal and almost expectable with age that one motor will be a little more "free" than the other, so you can get the one-wiper effect at relatively low air flow rates, when in fact they are both receiving air. If you shut the air off (turn the switch off) and the wiper is still running, either somebody has run another air line to the air tank, or the wiper switch is failing to close fully.

The whistle is a multi-fuel thing with regards to one specific model of turbo (there are a couple that interchange, and more that are "will-fit's". One particular model makes a whistle. And it does whistle. It's referred to as the "C" turbo, or a "whistler" turbo (not to be confused with the engine model numbers ending in C, it's a different C). Anyhow, a brief search here or Google will get lots of video's with lots of sound. If you havn't heard one, you should take the time. They're cool as all getup even if you wouldn't ever own one.

Last edited:

WOLFMAN1

so fix the wiper control switch and that stops all the air from running out of my tank? cause when the truck dies i lose my brakes shortly after when all the air runs out of the wipers

woodywood

Private
your brakes work by air over hydraulic which means no air no power brakes they are still there just have to mash harder to get them to work!kinda like civi brakes no vacuum or power steering the harder you have to push to make them work i am not that far from you if you need any help or questions most of the problems with these trucks are just plain common sense!901-334-6240 i have parts close by and if i dont have them i have quick access!:deadhorse:

Gunfreak25

Many members here have converted their air powered wipers over to electric power. That way if they suddenly begin leaking a lot air you are not out of your power brakes. Because of the dual wheel cylinders these do stop better than the other later Deuce's, and if your a big guy they can still be stopped pretty well with just manual brakes. But god have mercy on the soul that decides to dart out in front of you. Remember the scene from Rambo First Blood? rofl

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/42764-deuce-wipers.html

Last edited:

WOLFMAN1

i know which way to turn them to on. i turn them all the way off and they still get air. is there a way to adjust the switch. or am i looking a a tear down and repair kind of thing or just replace?auaaua:cookoo:

wikallen

Ok, you do know the "switch" is a valve? Close it all the way to shut off the air, and the more you open the valve, the faster the wipers work?

wikallen

opps, you posted before I hit send. I never had the valve apart, but I suspect you can rebuild them. Only one way to find out, take out the valve and see.

WOLFMAN1

i'll try that this afternoon. weather sucks down here right now. hopefully it is just a tear apart and can be fixed. do you know how much a switch might run?:driver:

rlwm211

I looked through all the unit manuals and did not find a detail on the actual valve for the wipers. I imagine that when one was leaking it was replaced.

I actually need to take mine apart at some time and see if it needs a new o-ring or if the bushing for the shaft is worn too much. I am in no huirry to do this so you will be telling me what to do when you get yours apart and back together.

RL

WOLFMAN1

i tried to take mine apart but without the proper way to dismantle it. it's like a shot in the dark. i have to replace the hoses leading ffrom the switch to the first and second wiper. going to place a pressure cuttoff valve fitting to stop the air. let you know how it turns out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks