• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Piper L4 Grasshopper

PorscheTech911

Thanks for the info! I've got some books and manuals on order/eBayed for the piper cub and l-4. I'd like to know everything I can, even if things don't work out that I buy one (cause MiG-17's are cool too ya know!) Are there any books or military manuals/TM's that I should look for? Thanks!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PT, colorblindness might be an issue for you.

Third class certifications require the least involved examinations of all medical certifications. They are required for those intending to be pilot-in-command of an aircraft under the Private or Recreational pilot certificates or while exercising solo privileges as a student pilot To qualify for a third class medical certificate, pilots must meet the following requirements:
  • Distant vision: 20/40 or better in each eye separately[14], with or without correction
  • Near vision: 20/40 or better in each eye separately, with or without correction, as measured at a distance of 16 inches (410 mm)
  • Color vision: Demonstrate the ability to perceive the colors necessary for the safe performance of airman duties

DKELONE

If you flunk the test done by the medical examiner, the feds have a physical test for color vision that ends up with the issuance of a "statement of demonstrated ability". I held a first class medical for 30+ years following the passing of the demonstrated ability test done by the gado office in jackson, ms at the time of my atp certification in 1970. The test involved my taxiing out to the end of an inactive runway, having the tower shoot light guns at me on a schedule prearranged by the gado guy, & my identifing all of the gun light signals/colors. It was not a big deal. For the non aviation types reading this, the gun lights are used to communicate with planes suffering radio failure.

cubdriver55

Some advice for what it is worth. If flying is your dream do it. buy a plane they are a good investment now, prices are ldown and their are some deals out there now. I would not buy a J3 unless you are just into collecter planes. The cheap J3s are a thing of the past due to collecters. Also a J3 is flown from the back seat. Spend a little more and get a PA-18 they are flown from the front seat and are a way better airplane. If you want fun flying there is nothing like a supercub infact now when someone refers to a cub they are talking about a supercub. If you want a little more room a PA-12 is another option, they can be modified with many of the 18 parts and can be a very good performer also. If I were you I would learn to fly in a tail wheel aircraft also, it is much easier than the transition. I fly for a living but out of all the planes I fly the cub is the most fun, but by far not the most comfortable. As for off airport that is the only way to fly a cub. I fly every day in the summer and I can not tell you the last time I landed on pavement. It wears out tundra tires so even when I do have to go to an airport I land beside the runway on the gravel or grass or on the end before the runway. have fun and follow your dreams.

andystamey

To answer your question about the STC, STC's are normally purchased from someone that has already performed the modification, performed flight testing with it installed, inspected by the FAA to make sure it does not create any safety problems, etc..... BUT I guess you could also make one yourself, hire a test pilot, pay for the fees, inspections, and other engineering costs. If you really wanted. Also, by FAA FAR (Federal Aviation Regulations) their are certain maintenance tasks you can perform on your own private airplane being flown for fun (No compensation of any kind :p) such as oil changes, I believe tire changes/brake pad replacement, and other tasks not requiring complicated assembly/disassembly.

ProviderDriver

That video above of the "drunk pilot" is by Kyle Franklin...He and his beautiful young wife were involved in a terrible engine failure/crash/fire event...She was wing walking on the top wing of the Waco and climbed back into the front cockpit after the engine failure...she did not get her seat belts on in time as far as I know, Kyle tried to get her out of the cockpit and burned himself very badly on the face and arms in the process. Amanda is still in the burn unit with 3+ degree burns over 60% of her body...she lost her fingers from her right hand, and is undergoing skin grafts and cadaver grafts over most of her body. Keep them in your prayers please. As far as I know, she is at an US Army burn center in Texas...

www.franklinairshow.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks