• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front U Joint replacement

Big Dale

I just recently got a Six Inch lift put on my m1009, while it was on the lift, the mechanic told me my front u joint on the driver's side was bad. I did a search and couldn't find anything, how do you replace the U joint?

Oldsouthernboy

First you need a good supply of fowl lauage, You have to pull the, whole hub, after taking off the warn hubs, removing the bearings, brake caliper and supporting it , remove the backing plate and pulling the axle. (See TM) then you can remove the U joint, with mutiple cuss words if a old u joint, then install the new u joint. While you have it apart go ahead and inspect the bearings, races and replace the grease seal. Check your hub and brake pads, if in worn condition replace with new. Then repeat with opposite side. If one u joint is bad you had better plan on replacing the other side soon also.

Westech

CPL
EVERYSINGLE CUCV I have owned needed the u joints replaced. Even if there is no play in them I will bet anyone with stock u joints that there junk. They rust up and become very hard to move and you can brake a axl just due to a stuck u joint. If you have not replaced your u joints or they have never been replaced I will bet you there bad.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have no mechanical skills or experience(since you have just posted this question), simply pull in to a repair facility, hand them your key and tell them what you need. Sit and wait, pay. Drive home happy and clean.

edit, oh boy, I just noticed Westy was reading this thread, as I was posting. Duck!

Westech

CPL
If this is the way you think how a U joint is changed::deadhorse: Better just take it to the Local hack shop like Dh said.
85 year ASE Master Mechanic/Technician

Love Westy

Last edited by a moderator:

motormayhem

Not as bad as it sounds I just did bearings, new axleshaft, and the inner axle shaft seals on mym1009's D44 which is practically a 10 bolt. The u-joint could probably be done in 2-3 hours without much difficulty. Now inner axle shaft seals...thats fun aua

skateabrock

not to bad. you are going to have quite a variety of new u-joints that you can buy and install. be sure not to buy cheap schucks ujoints, DANA/SPICER is the way to go, non-grease-able is stronger, but i guarantee that is what you have and if you could have greased them then they would have lasted longer. Its all preference, but I buy the spicer grease-able u joints and maintain them. Never had a prob. ****, you could go buy some ctm's and never worry about them again.

cucvrus

They may be. The would be a minor modification in comparison to what I seen and heard done to these poor CUCV's. Probably the yokes are worn out and the caps were spinning in the yokes from running a seized U joint at one time. Time to get the driveshaft re-yoked at a drive line dealer. Good Luck. But if ain't broke don't fix it. Prepare for the day when it needs fixed by getting a new driveshaft made of finding a good used one. On the M1009 it needs the C clips on the cap to axle yoke to keep the U joint centered.

nyoffroad

Why does it look like the U-joints are welded in on my m1008?
I've seen that before, some hack changed out the joint and couldn't get the C clip back in so out came the MIG. Find a used replacement or have the shaft rebuilt, rebuilding isn't that expensive.

cucvrus

I have a few fronts and rears. They will be up for sale soon. I am having a sit down and relax sale and selling everything. Soon. But California. Can do. Have a Great Day. 3 More M1009's and that's it. Done. Final Editions.

nyoffroad

I have a few fronts and rears. They will be up for sale soon. I am having a sit down and relax sale and selling everything. Soon. But California. Can do. Have a Great Day. 3 More M1009's and that's it. Done. Final Editions.
Are you retiring from CUCV's? Or getting to be like me and just plain tired?

cucvrus

Are you retiring from CUCV's? Or getting to be like me and just plain tired?
Both. But I have other interests and I like change hobbies every once in a while. I am bored with this one. I have lots of projects that need finished and am looking forward to getting them done. I have some nice automotive art deco I am going to do and add to my barn. I am collecting things all the time and will be putting a lot of time, effort and money into a few properties. I am about to order a new pick up again and want to clear out some old vehicles and parts. I am saving my best 1984 M1009 for last. Have a Great Day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks