• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Off-Grid M109A3 w/w log

Hammer

Lots of room for solar.
Just need to protect them well!
Plus, put one up there to heat some water up for nice warm showers!

cyberspace_7

K.I.S.S....so no air conditioning, shower, toilet, big screen t.v., speakers, stainless sink, coffee maker, microwave, tempupedic matress, or disco ball? You get the point...some rigs on here get pretty wild! Don't get me wrong I love reading the in depth respomods, but I also like the idea of a basic survival rig. Keep up the good work! [thumbzup]

wsucougarx

Today I was finally able to get the hardtop installed on the truck. Kind of challenging doing it yourself. Kind of awkward holding the hardtop as you try and maneuver up the steps without falling. I made sure the joints weren't going to leak as I sandwiched silicone caulking on both sides of the rubber gasket. I used a VDR-2 RADIAC mount for mounting my C-2742 (remote control box for the RT-246a/VRC radio), rear view mirror (obviously don't really need it but I had this already mounted for the deuce), and LS-454/u. I also got around to installing the 6 antenna mounts on the box. I figured I'd just do overkill and mount as many as I might need based upon where I have my radios in the van. I had 6 so I put them all to use:) I figure I'll have green radios hooked up on one side and regular HAM radios hooked up to the other side or something like that.:roll: When I installed the antenna mounts, I made sure I used stainless steel sheet metal screws with silicone slopped into each hole to help with water leakage. I also, placed a 2mm stainless steel washer b/w the mount and the truck to help prevent rusting. This whole process took me about 30 minutes per mount.
I got around to installing part of the VIC-1 as well.
Looking at the last pic, looks like I really did it now. I put the brown on the windshield frame and hardtop...hmm looking at the box I think I need to repaint it now...great, one thing at a time.
My wife just informed me that the driver seat bottom cushion has got to go. She said it was like looking at a brand new sports with bird crap on it. Your eyes are drawn to the crap...oh well.
Projects Completed:
Hardtop installation
C-2742 Remote mounted
Antenna bases mounted on van (6)
Rust & peeling CARC repaired on hood
Antiseize cpd on windshield pivoting bolts/nuts
AM-1780, control boxes, and cables ran (VIC-1)

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Been working some serious OT so I haven't been able to work on G&C. Today I set out with a list and was able to finish most of it.
I ordered 3 sets of AS-1729 (including the MX-6707) antenna's off ebay. It only took 5 days from Israel to my doorstep...OUTSTANDING. Today I was able to get two antenna's mounted. The plan is to use one antenna for the in cab RT-514a/VRC and another antenna for the van. I also mounted an AB-15 for a future R-442a/VRC radio. In order to get the AB-15 to fit in the sugarscoop antenna mount, I had to fabricate an adapter plate. I used a heavy gauge piece of aluminum stock for this job.
I also got my fat man handles mounted on the front brush guard (thanks BIGELK50 for the idea). In fact I have these mounted on all 4 of my trucks.
I also got my air tank drain kits installed. When I took off the stock valves I noticed I hardly got any air coming out of the wet tank. Upon taking the unit off the wet tank I noticed it was full of rust and gunk. I mixed up a sol'n of MMO and Rubbing alcohol. Turned the truck on and fed this sol'n into the air compressor intake. In no time at all, the rust colored water and gunk turned a nice clean color. I should mention, I did get about a 1 gallon of water out of the wet tank upon recovering this truck at JBLMaua. Hopefully there isn't too much pitting inside the wet tank.
Mounted my IR lights on the rear of the truck. More or less just for looks at this point. I had them laying around and thought what the heck..might as well.
I also finished up painting the engine as well. The color wasn't exactly what I was after. It turned out a little more brown than I had wanted. All in all it doesn't look too bad.
I haven't done a whole lot of work in the van. My plan to is to hit it this winter. In the meantime, I'm going to get as much exterior done while the weather is still tolerable.

Projects completed:
Air Tank Drain Kit (3)
Fat man grab handles
AS-1729 mounted (2)
AB-15 antenna base mounted
Completed Engine paint
Mounted 2nd LS-454u in cab
Mounted Front/Rear IR Lights
Mounted RT-524a/VRC radio--WORKS

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

more. Looking at the pics...I think I went a little overboard on the warning decals....:-0
I'm hoping to tackle the aux fuel tank next. I'm trying to figure out how I am going to fabricate a bracket for the spare tire winch. My plan is to mount it in the rear b/w the pintle and rear axle. There's plenty of room in there to get the job done but need to fashion a bracket strong enough to hold all that weight. Plus need to be careful of the air lines and wiring.
Oh and I got my SF-97 the other day. So she is licensed and ready to go. I haven't gotten insurance on her yet. As far as I am concerned she is not roadworthy until I get the hubs pulled apart to see what's in there. Plans are to repack the bearings and change out all the wheel cylinders and the front rubber brake lines.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Thanks. I will definately be tying those antennas down during a move. The kit came with everything down to the tie rope and antenna end ball. I'm going to add a few more antennas for CB/weather radio, civilian HAM radio, and another AB-15. I still need to figure out where to add my collapsible antenna tower.

srodocker

dang i need to outfit my trailer with your comm setup. whenever that time comes. im just doing the basics in the deuce. just a cb, and some handheld radios

wsucougarx

Hi Scott, you can put a green radio on your transfer case cowl. Probably need to build a bracket to hold the MT-1029 radio mount though. The VIC-1 is pretty awesome. It allows you to converse simultaneously. In other words you don't have to wait for the other party to release the talk button. Plus, the green radio's are interfaced into the VIC-1. So you can monitor radio traffic and speak on the intercom without fumbling around with a bunch of equipment. I just found an outstanding deal on another RT-246a/VRC. Looks like I'll have to pull some money out of my emergency funds to pay for it:-0....just don't let me wife know;).

wsucougarx

Great idea! You should put this in your mini rally thread Scott to let all the PNW'ers know. Guys coming in here are reading about the rebuild and will miss the opportunity for this event.

timass1

Looking good , has anyone incorporated a ham radio into the vic-1 intercom setup? or is this even possible. Any input would be appreciated. Keep the pics coming I'm getting some reel good idea's. I really like the fat man grab handles. I will definitly be installing those. keep up the good work.73 KB1TIM here.

wsucougarx

Thanks Tim. I attempted to take her out today. I was about 3 miles out and noticed the temp gauge was pegged:-o. I immediately turned her around...couldn't get home fast enough. I popped the hood, everything looked good. No leaks or burning smell. I think I lost my thermostat. I figure if they only drove this truck 1200 miles over the course of 22 years, somethings got to be replaced. I also found the filler plug/drain plug on the transfer case has not been touched since she rolled off the assembly floor. It took some doing to crack those plugs open. The gear oil had the consistency of maple syrup on a wintry day and the color of dark maple syrup. I drained the transfer case and replaced the fluid.
Speaking of radios, I just got my R-442a/VRC and another RT-246a/VRC for this project. Plans are to have an RT-246a w/R-442 in the cab and a RT-524 and R-442 in the van. Not sure about incorporating a civilian HAM radio into the VIC-1. That would definately be a question for OPCOM. He seems like an electrical genius in here.
Well this truck deadlined until I can get the thermostat replaced. I plan on ordering from Erik's along with all the seals and wheel cylinder rebuild kits tonight.

timass1

Well sounds like other than the thermostat it's running pretty good. I PM papacom and by his reply it doesn't seem to hard to wire up a ham radio to the vic-1 which is probably the way I'll go. Sounds like you got quite the selection of mil-radio's I look foward to your progress. I'm going the camper/ham shack approch with mine,more camper. I'll have an all-band/all-mode installed with a 34ft crank tower on the back for playing while camping. I already have a com-shelter set up with hf/vhf/uhf with another of those 34ft screw mast and a high sierra 40m-6m screw driver ant. It works well and we used it last Jan vhf contest up on hill in the near by town thermo registered -13degs not doing that again. whats your call sign?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks