• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Off-Grid M109A3 w/w log

wsucougarx

Did a couple little things to the truck. I haven't had a whole lot of extra time to work on her. Plus the weather has been other than favorable over the last 3 weeks or so. I was able to accomplish something that has been on the list since day one. That was to mount my two jerry can mounts to the mudflaps. It took a little extra work compared to my M35A2 mudflaps. The M109A3 mudflaps a a bit shorter and the upper clearance is lower with the crossmembers. I had to fabricate some brackets using stock "L" shaped steel for mounting. Really, all the weight is being supported by the top two bolts on the jerry can mount. I also wanted to mount them at an angle to allow for drainage . I also installed some of those footman loops and added a couple ALICE straps to secure the jerry cans during off roading. I had some large angle brackets used for somekind of battery relocation kit. I figured I would untilize the dead space just under the van between the rear axle and the pintle. Not exactly sure what I'm going to mount there but I'm sure I'll think of something...tow chain, tire chains. etc. Whatever it is, it'll be something non-critical as it may be damaged when ascending up steep grades. I'm thinking about using an M813 tool box. I'll need to take some measurements to make sure that hinged top lid will at least goto a 90 degree opening to get things in/out OK. I replaced the old aging and cloudy rear tail light assy. I replaced the plastic housing with a set of aluminum ones and brand new lenses.
I also picked up a QEAM (Quick Erecting Antenna Mast) designated AB-1386/G. It is around 8 ft tall and there are several sections to it (about 40 ft extended). I need to track down the manual hand crank and mounting base plate for her. She was designated to be mounted on the HMMWV or tracked vehicle. I also secured a tow bar holder (HEMTT style), couple NOS MX-6707 antenna bases, 30ft slave cable, plastic battery box for the HAM radios, and a few little things here and there.
Info on the AB-1386/u mast:
Designed for manual operation, Will-Burt's Quick Erecting Antenna Mast (QEAM) elevates light payloads for ground-mounted, vehicle and shelter deployment.
The QEAM TM 10 is recognized as the AB-1386/U for the U.S. Army CECOM.

Features:
Easy manual crank up
No power supply needed
Automatic locking collars
Locks at any height desired
Patented latch mechanism
Manual mechanical drive
Reliable deployment without power
Standard ground mounting kits with guylines and transport bag included
Portable guyed field mast
Tubes made of high-stregnth 6061-T6 aluminum tubes
Meets MIL-STD-810F environmental standards for operations in extreme conditions

Model - TM 10
Nested Height - 8ft/2.4m
Extended Height - 32.8ft/10m
Guying - 2 level/3 way
Number of Sections - 5
Weight (mast only) - 42lb/19kg
Weight (accessory kit) - 57lb/26kg
Payload capacity - 15lb/7kg
Max. sail area - 6sqft/0.6msq CD=1.5
Ice load - 0.5in/12mm
Max. erection wind * - 25mph/40kph
Operational wind - 60mph/97kmph
Survival wind - 80mph/128kmph
Surface mounting - ±15°slope
Deployment time - 2 persons, 7.5 min
Drive system - Screw drive
Finish - Mil-F-10472, AG, CARC

Project Completed:
Jerry Can holders on mudflaps
Tool/chain box supporting arms on rear
Replaced rear tail light assy w/metal housing ones w/NOS lenses.
Replaced front axle vent valve

Attachments

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jerry cans on the mudflaps, huh? What are you going to carry in them? Water?
I carry water in one and diesel in the other. I also have gas on each step under the cab doors.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

They both have distilled water in them for coolant issues. Potable water will be stored inside the box. I am revisiting the spare tire dilemna. I'm going to see if an M818 tire holder will somehow fit on the rear of the truck, with some modifications of course. I'm thinking about putting a small 1 ft deck on the rear to help support the assy. We'll see though. I'll keep things posted. I'm also thinking about using the M200a1 rear foldable deck for an application as well. All these ideas are going through my head.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

That 5-ton spare tire rack isn't going to work real well, unless maybe you put the spare on the driver's-side and don't mind not being able to open the small door? Still, I think you'd probably be better off building something custom. What's that M200 deck all about?

AaronW

I like the idea of a M200 rear deck as a kind of fold down porch or step off the rear of the 109 box. Trick is to keep all that stuff out of the way of any trailer movement.

wsucougarx

Just an idea I had floating around. The possibilities are endless with these things. Almost need to buy a few more 109's to put all the ideas to the test;-)

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, that truck was so beautiful when you got it it is hard to look at it. Now, well just fantastic. Thanks for the photos and build info. Looking for a suitable 109 myself.

Come awn guys, tell me what that deck is all about. I'd been thinking about installing some kind of lift-gate on the back of my M109 box, or something that would serve as a small porch/patio.
If I had known you were considering a liftgate I could have hooked you up for almost free. There were two of them next to where Dagwood [ADV] works and the guy was moving out and didn't want them.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Come awn guys, tell me what that deck is all about. I'd been thinking about installing some kind of lift-gate on the back of my M109 box, or something that would serve as a small porch/patio.
What if you modified a M105 trailer that you had a fold over deck that tipped forward to the rear of the M109 between the 105 and 109 (kind of over the tongue). That would also let you haul extra stuff in the 105. It would let you get lower as you walked back. Could also be totally covered with the tarp. Just a thought.

jesusgatos

If I had known you were considering a liftgate I could have hooked you up for almost free. There were two of them next to where Dagwood [ADV] works and the guy was moving out and didn't want them.
Ah Dood, we DID talk about that? Don't remember? You told me that your Dad is a distributor, and that I might be able to get some kind of a discount, but I still couldn't afford to buy new. Bummer. Please keep an eye out and let me know if anything else comes along.
What if you modified a M105 trailer that you had a fold over deck that tipped forward to the rear of the M109 between the 105 and 109 (kind of over the tongue). That would also let you haul extra stuff in the 105. It would let you get lower as you walked back. Could also be totally covered with the tarp. Just a thought.
That's pretty much what I'm planning on doing. I've got an M103A3 trailer that I'm building an enclosure for, and will have a fold-down deck on the front of it. That deck will also keep the spare tire and some other items secure when it's folded up. But this thread is about Mike's project...

Kohburn

the deck on the rear of his MK1 is awesome. never did find out why he opted to not do it again on his second version.

jesusgatos

Yes, VERY cool vehicle. I'm kinda limited with what I can have hanging off the back of Mah Deuce, because I'm almost always going to be towing a trailer (usually that M103A3 with a custom enclosure), and I don't want to have to disconnect the trailer to deploy it. Thinking more along the lines of creating a breezeway / patio-type deck between the two, and maybe even an awning on each side and the top, so that I can enclose that area. Would be a great way to shower outside, while maintaining some privacy.

Lonekazoo

I don't remember where I saw it (it was before I started collecting links related to the M109/M185), but I have seen photos of a deck built on the roof of a shop van, with a ladder and hatch. Some sort of observation platform. Throw an 8'x8' quick shade up there and you're all set.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks