• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All the stuff I did to my deuce, right here

sewerzuk

Ordered all of the parts I need for my hydraulic steering conversion today; they should be here next week. That project will likely be on the back burner for about a month, however...lots of other household things to get done first :???:

The Fedex guy delivered my water injection kit today as well; unfortunately, the location I had mapped out for the water tank isn't going to work. I have a new location planned, but it involves raising the bed 2 inches (something I had been planning for a while now anyway, as the tires hit the bed frame just before they hit the bumpstops). So, that won't be operational for a week or two...I can mount the pump, nozzles, and controller but that's about it for now. I'll post pics as the work progresses.

Kalashnikov

Do you have any details on the water injection?

Did you order a kit or piece it together for the hydro steering? And where'd you end up getting the kit/all the parts? The cheapest kit I've found is the PSC for just under $900. I havent checked to see what the ratings on the pump are yet since I'd like to use the pump to power plow hydraulics, a dump bed, and possibly a winch or crane.

sewerzuk

The water injection is a universal kit by AEM I purchased from Xtreme Diesel; here is a link to the kit:
AEM Water/Methanol Injection for Diesel, Water Methanol Kits for Turbo Diesel

My goal with the water injection is to drop my EGT's a couple hundred degrees and get another turn or two on the fuel screw. I may try a small percentage of methanol, but it is my understanding that the LDT's high compression ratio can cause severe preignition if the normal 50/50 water/meth mix is used. So, I'm going to start out at 10% and see if that works. I'll post results after I get the kit installed.
I couldn't find anybody else who was using this kit on a multifuel, so it is kind of experimental; I wasn't too worried about the purchase of it though, as I own several other diesel powered rigs...and this kit will just move to one of them if it doesn't work out on the deuce.

I believe that the kit you are seeing from PSC is for rear stee ron a rockwell axle (that's the only kit I saw in that price range). It doesn't include the steering valve...expensive component to add.
PSC parts I purchased were a 3"x9" double ended hydraulic ram, tapered rod end bushings (they adapt the deuce's tapered steering arms to a straight through bolt), heim joints, a 12 cu. in. orbital valve (gives me 3.9 turns lock to lock), steering column, and steering wheel. I also picked up a reservoir/filter setup by Trail Gear. The cooler is a stacked plate B&M Megacooler (designed as a transmission cooler) I got from Summit Racing. I plan to try a 5 ton pump at first, and if it doesn't produce the necessary volume, I'll find a way to make a modififed saginaw TC pump work. Hoses will be made up locally by a friend of mine who has a small diesel repair shop.

All of the PSC and Trail Gear items were purchased through Low Range Off Road. I have purchased TONS of off road parts through them over the last 4 years for my Suzuki and Toyota projects; haven't found better service or prices anywhere. They beat PSC's own prices SIGNIFICANTLY for the parts that I bought.

I'll post a complete listing of all of the parts that I end up using after ?I have the system installed and running. Probably going to be about a month...

Last edited:

Kalashnikov

Last edited:

sewerzuk

Well apparently I didn't see the drop down arrow for the front kit which is $1500.
:mrgreen:

I'm going to be about $1400 into mine, complete with shipping, by the time I'm all done.
Here is the filter/reservoir kit I'm using: LINKY

Some $$ could be saved by using a single ended cylinder, homemade reservoir, and cheaper cooler. But I'm betting that it isn't possible to end up with a working system for under $1k.

EDIT: That PSC system contains most of the major components I'll be using, but I am using a longer steering column, a 5 ton pump, the trail gear reservoir/filter, the B&M cooler and my own hydraulic lines. Otherwise it's pretty close...

I plan on mounting my cooler in front of the radiator, but we'll see once I get into the project.

Last edited:

sewerzuk

Water/Methanol injection

Got my water/meth injection system installed this afternoon; probably have about 6 hours of work total into the project.
I mounted the 5 gallon tank under my flatbed, and flush mounted a fuel cell filler cap in the top of the bed. I have to climb up there to fill it with water, but it was really the only place I had room, and it takes up otherwise dead space that I really couldn't use for anything else.
The controller is mounted in the cab under the glovebox; it has adjustments for cut in and full flow boost settings. I currently have it set to begin flow at about 7 psi (just above the boost I get at 55 on flat ground) and full flow at 15psi (the max boost level I currently can get).
I pulled off the intake elbow and drilled 2 holes in it for the jets; I chose to use dual 550cc/min nozzles for this setup.
I didn't do any kind of scientific test, but I did drive it a few times up some hills at a set speed with and without the system operating. It lowers my EGT's noticeably; about 100-200 degrees depending on load and RPM, and when I let the engine idle after a hard pull the EGT's are several hundred degrees lower. The biggest benefit though, is that I can no longer hit 1200 degrees EGT no matter how long I keep my foot on the floor (without the system operating, it hits 1200 degrees in about 30 seconds). This should allow me to get another turn or two on the fuel screw :-D
After about 50 miles of hard driving, I used about 2 gallons of water...that's quite a bit more than I was expecting. I am thinking that I may raise the cut in pressure up another PSI or two to try to reduce the water consumption.
I'll be picking up a few gallons of methanol this weekend and experimenting with low concentrations...

Here's a link to a video showing the water jets operating in the intake elbow:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dshS705qSbs[/media]

Attachments

jblack6527

I've wondered a time or two why (seemingly) nobody had put water injection on their deuce yet to help with the egts. I like what you've done with the truck, looks good and can't wait for the next installment!

ivbeenrokd

I've really enjoyed reading your build so far. It's got me inspired for what I want to do on my next boost.

I will say reading through all the "go fast" mods has got me wondering if you plan to make any "stop fast" mods?;)

sewerzuk

I will say reading through all the "go fast" mods has got me wondering if you plan to make any "stop fast" mods?;)

I knew somebody would ask this eventually :beer:

I know that lots of people lament the quality of their deuce brakes....mine seem to work better than most. Right after I put my 395's on, I tried a few practice "panic stops" from 55; basically got to a deserted stretch of pavement and mashed the brakes to the floor. Both rear axles fully locked up, and the front tires howled a little (though they did not lock up, they did leave some rubber on the road). So, I plan to leave the factory brakes alone, for now.

Also, my mods aren't really "go fast" mods...they're "keep drivers behind me from getting pissed off" mods rofl
Since I don't do any heavy hauling with my rig, I'm not too concerned with brake fade on the steep grades, either.

Several months ago I had toyed with the idea of adding pinion brakes to the axles as a secondary system...was thinking about some kind of electric over hydraulic actuator so the system would be separate from the factory brakes. But, I've kind of put that idea on the back burner for now, as I don't feel like my rig really needs them.

sewerzuk

picked up 32 fl. oz of methanol today and mixed it in with 5 gallons of water (roughly 5% methanol), filled my tank and flushed the lines. There was no noticeable seat of the pants power difference, but after several runs up the hill, the truck was able to pull a few extra MPH with the meth system active...so there is definitely a power increase. No difference in the sound of the engine running, no detonation. I'll probably try driving the truck this way for a week, and then bump the mixture up to 10% at my next fillup.
I also got another turn on the fuel screw; it is possible to his 1200 degrees EGT now, but it takes a few minutes at full throttle. 55 MPH up a 5% grade is no problem now; I do need to keep my foot on the floor to keep it at that speed, but that is WAY better than stock. Plenty of power on flat ground, and it pulls up to 55 very quickly. I am pulling a little over 15 lbs of boost at full throttle and 2000 RPM.
I'm thinking I will stay at or near this power level, at least for now. I'm actually pretty pleased with the results, and think this is a modest enough power gain that I'm not compromising the internal engine parts.

sewerzuk

picked up a set of spin on oil filter adapters from Westfolk a few weeks back; finally got around to installing them last night. A large number of filters work with these adapters, but I went with the Napa 1831's because of their 10 micron rating (filters better than the 26 micron factory filters), their anti-drainback valves, and their larger size. It was an easy install...no leaks, and my time to full oil pressure went from 12 seconds to just 2-3 seconds. My future oil filter changes will be much easier now, too.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks