• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All the stuff I did to my deuce, right here

sewerzuk

Hydro steering

Well, after a few months of time away from my deuce, I got the chance last week to pull it into the shop again and get started on my steering system. I had ordered most of the parts a few months back, just didn't have the time to put the system together. I ordered almost everything through Low Range Off Road (www.lowrangeoffroad.com); they always seem to have the best prices and the best customer service. So, here's what I picked up for my system:

The contents of this kit, minus the pump, reservoir, and hoses. I added a 24" steering column and 15" wheel and tapered bushings for the steering arms:
Rockwell 3.0" Double End Steering Kit with P-Pump-FHK300P : Full Hydraulic Steering Systems and Components, Full Hydraulic Steering Kits | PSC Motorsports - performance steering components

This filter/reservoir setup:
Reservoir Filter Kit (130565-1-K) - Steering - Builder Parts

A 5 Ton Vickers pump from the classified section here on SS

Some misc Aeroquip -AN and JIC fittings and a B&M plate cooler from Summit Racing

Bulk Hydraulic hose from my local Napa

The pics and videos tell most of the story...overall it was a fairly simple build. The biggest challenge I ran into was removing the factory steering box from the frame. That was simply absurd, considering the size of this vehicle. The only other hiccup was that the radiator shroud hit the 5 Ton pump; so I just made a cutout that allows the radiator to slide down over the top of the pump.

I was careful to use loctite on all of the fasteners, and route all of the hoses away from anything that might cause abrasions. I also added some extra gussets and a small skid plate on my ram mount. All of the hose was quality hydraulic lines, and the fittings were all Aeroquip -AN and JIC fittings...didn't want to cut corners on this system as I am driving it on the street.

The change is nothing short of amazing...near zero effort steering, even with the wheels bound up and not moving. Moving the steering wheel closer to the dash freed up a lot of space in the driver area. The feel on the road is great; no darting or jumpiness, super easy to control, and the change in ratio from 9 to 4 turns lock to lock means I can make tight corners significantly more quickly.

Here's a short video of it in operation:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S--aS6qW9U[/media]

Attachments

Last edited:

sewerzuk

For those of you who heard it was illegal to drive a hydraulic steering equipped vehicle on the road:
1. I read through most of the Oregon Vehicle code. There is nothing in there that would make hydraulic steering illegal.
2. I searched the federal motor vehicle code as well. Nothing there either.
3. I know for a fact that nearly half of the garbage trucks that service my area have full hydraulic steering, and are licensed for the road.
4. I know of 2 crane trucks locally that are also full hydraulic, and are also licensed for the road.

For everybody that claims that you will lose your steering if the engine dies, well, you're wrong. Even if the engine comes to a complete stop, you can still steer the truck (with increased effort, of course). I even posted a short clip to prove it:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flKLRFACmxo[/media]

The bottom line is that ANY system, if poorly designed or maintained, is dangerous and may fail. A properly designed and maintained hydraulic steering system is perfectly safe...I wouldn't be driving my deuce on the street if I didn't believe it.

srodocker

wow simply amazing sewerzuk. i was all for that mod till i saw the price im sure its worth its weight in gold just out of my budget. im hoping to get a unit off of a old dumptruck or something. what are you doing on feb 12th? a saturday. were having a mini rally in graham washington and we have a couple guys coming down from oregon. the link is in my signature.

again beautiful mod!

mudguppy

... The change is nothing short of amazing...near zero effort steering, ...
this remains true, even with 1600's.

most folks don't truly know what they're missing with hydraulic steering. i'm enjoying the crap outta mine.

you've done some great work and just as good 'a job documenting it all. [thumbzup]

kwiksilver

most folks don't truly know what they're missing with hydraulic steering. i'm enjoying the crap outta mine.

you've done some great work and just as good 'a job documenting it all. [thumbzup]
Are you guys using the return to center orbital with feedback? Its not that jerky if you don't get too many ci valve. I'm thinking about going this way.

mudguppy

i'm also using the PSC steering valve, and unless i'm imagining it, i have some steering feedback. don't know specs on the valve, though.

ALFA2

Great and practical mods, this truck is really getting some of the much talked about improvements actually done. Congrats on the hydro steering, just as a possible additional item on your second from last picture, there is, or looks like that, spot where the front drive-shaft ujoint is close to the hydro hose inlet in to the ram. In case of a sudden ujoint failure, it may damage the fitting. There are two bolts holding the cap that holds the ram to it's bracket, it is possible to make a steel guard 1/4" thick for that hose fitting, and to secure it using the same two bolts that hod the ram retaining cap. That way, if the ujoint goes, it will not take the fitting with it... Just an idea, based on the pictures shown. Great build in any case!

Thank you for posting.

ALFA2

sewerzuk

Are you guys using the return to center orbital with feedback? Its not that jerky if you don't get too many ci valve. I'm thinking about going this way.
I am using a 12.1 cu. in. load reactive valve that PSC sells. With the 3"x9"x1.5" ram I am running, it works out to just under 4 turns lock to lock.
My setup exhibits zero "jerkiness". In fact, it just feels like good power steering, maybe with a little less road feel...but you do get a small amount of feedback through the wheel as the tires encounter resistance.

sewerzuk

Great and practical mods, this truck is really getting some of the much talked about improvements actually done. Congrats on the hydro steering, just as a possible additional item on your second from last picture, there is, or looks like that, spot where the front drive-shaft ujoint is close to the hydro hose inlet in to the ram. In case of a sudden ujoint failure, it may damage the fitting. There are two bolts holding the cap that holds the ram to it's bracket, it is possible to make a steel guard 1/4" thick for that hose fitting, and to secure it using the same two bolts that hod the ram retaining cap. That way, if the ujoint goes, it will not take the fitting with it... Just an idea, based on the pictures shown. Great build in any case!

Thank you for posting.

ALFA2
Thanks for the suggestion! The pic is a little deceiving; the u-joint is actually quite a distance away from the ram. However...I do agree that a u-joint failure could still take out one of the hoses. BUT...I have a set of locking front hubs on the way as I type this :driver:
That should eliminate the spinning front shaft while on the highway

sewerzuk

Thanks! I'll admit...your 12 valve swap has me doing some more scheming...I keep hoping that my dodge will get totalled in some way that leaves the engine and tranny unharmed so I can have an excuse to drop it in my deuce :beer:

sewerzuk

Something else I noticed during this project...it looks like the 5 ton pump that I used is simply a Vickers SAE A mount pump that bolts to an adapter plate. The big advantage that I see with that is that I could buy just about any SAE A pump that I could fit in that space. So if I ever decided that I needed a different flow rate, higher pressure, or even dual stacked pumps (think hydraulic winch), this could be accomplished fairly easily.

Something I forgot to mention in my initial post is that I upsized almost all of the fittings in my system...just about everything was JIC #6 or AN-6. I'm not sure what the flow rate on the 5 ton pump is, but it had a 1/2" NPT outlet and a 3/4" NPT inlet. That is HUGE compared to the #6 fittings that came with my setup. To make sure I wasn't developing any pressure in the return line and that I wouldn't ever pull a vacuum in the supply line, I changed all of my fittings to AN-8. I used 1/2" pressure hose for the pressure line, and 1/2" vacuum rated hydraulic hose for the supply line. I kept the -6 fittings for the ram. It seems to have been a good choice...even at idle the ram moves faster than I can turn the steering wheel, so the flow must be adequate

13F10

Sewerzuk,

What'd the tires set you back and have you a link on where to find them?

I just want to add, I am jealous of your headache rack, and bed design.

:idea: I think it'd be nicely complemented with a roof rack, and maybe some roof mounted forward and rear lights.

:idea:Also, Have you considered a stakebed setup for yours? Considering not everything hauled is weatherproof, this would be a intresting setup, taking into account that it'd be stowable for loading and unloading, and adaptable in a few minutes with square tubing bent to make the bows.

13f10

13F10

Thanks! I'll admit...your 12 valve swap has me doing some more scheming...I keep hoping that my dodge will get totalled in some way that leaves the engine and tranny unharmed so I can have an excuse to drop it in my deuce :beer:

TxDot labels these excuses as "Collision with Unknown Object in Roadway."

So long as there is no property damage to anyone elses property aside from yours, and no injuries. Then there is no necessary need for the insurance company to pursue a investigation and the adjuster writes off the vehicle.

Insurance pays out, retain the title if it's paid off, and VIOLA!

*RIP 2000 Mustang GT* :cry: *sniffle*

13f10

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks