Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: M1009 Gen 1 issues- im confused

Thanks

Thank you for resurrecting this. I have something else to check, now.
    1984 M1008

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
    Gen2 is a 194 and the GEN1 bulb is a 168. The difference is the wattage.

The voltage thru the GEN2 bulb is 24v. The diffence in the bulb wattage allows them to have the same brightness.
    Now that this thread has come back to life, I will ask the question. I plan to change all my dash bulbs to red LED, so does the GEN2 bulb still need to be different? Also, since LEDs can withstand varying voltage, can the dash light circuit be increased to 24 volt to increase brightness?

Thanks

From what I read here, you cannot replace the GEN bulbs with LEDs as it interrupts the charging circuit.
    1984 M1008

Thanks
    Thanked 5,504 Times in 2,961 Posts

liberal.jpgNO LED's. I don't think I can take anymore of this. LED's are the way of the new world. Embrace change but keep your incandescent bulbs in the Gen 1 & Gen 2 idiot light sockets. LED's do not excite the circuit.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine: Founding Father Quote.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 960 Posts

Sorry, Rick, that's the way it is. The design requires the current to flow through the GEN 1&2 bulbs, and they have to allow the correct amount of current to pass. LEDs won't, and that will break your charging circuit.

It's a brain-dead stupid design. I can't imagine why anybody thought that was a good idea, really. It's just crazy. But, that's the way it is.

One of these days I may find the time to measure the current flow through those bulbs and design a workaround so they are no longer in the circuit. It should be possible to replace them in the charging circuit with the correct resistor, and then use LEDs in place of the bulbs.

Maybe when I retire.....
    ---------------------

Non standard parts in CUCV?
    You offend against the pure OEM design!
    Evaluate self! Reflect and repent!

Or... maybe not.

M1028, M101A2

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarcusOReallyus For This Useful Post:

cucvrus (12-26-2018), firefox (12-26-2018), Sharecropper (12-25-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusOReallyus View Post
    Sorry, Rick, that's the way it is. The design requires the current to flow through the GEN 1&2 bulbs, and they have to allow the correct amount of current to pass. LEDs won't, and that will break your charging circuit.

It's a brain-dead stupid design. I can't imagine why anybody thought that was a good idea, really. It's just crazy. But, that's the way it is.

One of these days I may find the time to measure the current flow through those bulbs and design a workaround so they are no longer in the circuit. It should be possible to replace them in the charging circuit with the correct resistor, and then use LEDs in place of the bulbs.

Maybe when I retire.....
    Yes, you can. No need to measure current, just measure resistance of a bulb and swap in resistors over the cathode and anode of the LED. Better yet, use two LEDs, reverse biased to prevent polarity issues. One LED will illuminate regardless of the installation. But realize you need at least 5 Watt resistors to replicate the draw so the energy conserving advantage of the LED is gone. The resistor replicates the inefficiency of the incandescent bulb.

Who designed this system? The same caliber of engineers that won WWII. The same ones that put us on the moon. It is a KISS system which worked.
    1986 M1031 SECM.
    1985 MEP 002A
    1974 MEP 026C, eventually converting to electric start.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Keith_J For This Useful Post:

cucvrus (12-26-2018), n8roro (12-25-2018), Sharecropper (12-26-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_J View Post
    Yes, you can. No need to measure current, just measure resistance of a bulb

Nope. Incandescent light bulbs change resistance when they are lit due to the heat of the filament. The only way to get the correct resistance is to measure the current flow and do the math.

Who designed this system? The same caliber of engineers that won WWII.

You need to get better acquainted with the non-Hollywood version of history. We put out a lot of badly engineered crap in WWII. We won on PRODUCTION, not engineering. The Germans were far better engineers.

It is a KISS system which worked.
    It's an unnecessarily complicated system which depends on two rather fragile bulbs and is unnecessarily difficult to repair. It worked for GM because it's CHEAP. That is what drove the design of the electrical system on these vehicles, NOT simplicity. It's just whatever worked that was low buck.
    ---------------------

Or... maybe not.

M1028, M101A2

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarcusOReallyus For This Useful Post:

cucvrus (12-26-2018), firefox (12-28-2018), TGP (IL) (12-26-2018)

Corporal
    Thanks

I have been reading this thread and it came to me that I don’t ever remember seeing my gen lights on! I went out and turned the key on and sure enough, no lights. I have had the blazer for about 10 years and the volt meter doesn’t work or the lights, but I know at least one alternator is charging. I took out both bulbs and the filaments look good. I wiggled them in their sockets and put them back in still no lights?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,504 Times in 2,961 Posts

Now the fun begins. You must clean and check everything.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine: Founding Father Quote.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnjr View Post
    I took out both bulbs and the filaments look good. I wiggled them in their sockets and put them back in still no lights?
    Filaments sometimes look good, but aren't. Use some jumpers to apply 12v to them and see what they do. Other than that, it's what Rick said. Time to check and clean everything. The first thing I would do is to measure voltage on each battery with the engine running to see what you really have.
    ---------------------

Or... maybe not.

M1028, M101A2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast