Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: cost of ownership (the real cost of a deuce)

Sergeant
    Thanks

I've been watching prices, and yes, they have gone up a bit. Even reading through this thread it is obvious.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to onemanarmy For This Useful Post:

roveroverme (01-13-2015)

MVPA
    37931E
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glcaines View Post
    I paid $2400.00 at auction, plus 10% commission, but no taxes for my 1969 M35A2 W/W. I was lucky in that most tires were relatively new, almost new batteries, brakes were great, cargo top almost new, all bows and seats and hard top in good shape. After one year, lost 5th gear and replaced trans for $200.00 and $125.00 for new clutch parts. Another $20.00 for a new tire tube and $20.00 for tire change. I have had no other problems in one year of driving, having put around 2500 miles on it. I consider it to be very reliable.

Oh, and I did replace the shocks for around $60.00 - I can't remember exactly.
    Ok, I don't have my Deuce yet and am reading all I can to get prepared both mentally and financially. When you say you lost 5th gear, how do you mean? I'm pretty sure the cog didn't drop out of a slot in the transmission. Were the teeth eaten up by other gears (if you can't find em, grind em)? Did the linkage break? Would it have been cheaper to fix the transmission instead of dropping $200 on a replacement?

I spent $2400 on rebuilding my Jeep transmission a few years ago and it had over 250k miles on it. I have no frame of reference, but $200 for a replacement transmission sounds like someone found one rusting in a ditch on the side of the road and decided to see what they could get for it. I really thought a replacement unit would be a lot more expensive. Maybe you lead a charmed life??

4 Star General
    Thanks

Wolfgang the Gray,

RUN BROTHER, RUN.

When we moved here to Texas, I told the wife I would NOT buy any more trucks. And I didn't. After a year here, I ended up being very ... um .... frustrated over a ... um... situation that soured me on the green iron. So I sold my two CUCV's. I still have the MKT and the MEP 003 that I had not sold yet.

So I sold my pristine M1028A dually with only 22k on it and my M1009 Blazer with 18k miles on it. I kept the trailers, telling myself I would wait a while and then sell them. I MAY STILL sell them. But for now, with the economy slowed, I can barely see the point.

Then the wife retires and we are now going home to Colorado. YEAH!!!

Then a good buddy of mine in Denver says he's selling his deuce. 1970 m35A2 w whistler w winch troop/cargo seats and cover

A full page of other 'stuff' that works and three things at the bottom that need attention, but the parts are NIB just not installed.

Plus convoy lights, a military radio that works on the VHF side (I'm a Ham operator so I had to have that) plus a nice spotlight with IR included but not installed on my list that he picked up for me.

I was at $6k with everything, right up until that last sentence, which cost me another $2k give or take. He would have easily removed it all, but then I would just have to go out and find it and then reinstall it, yada, yada, yada. You know the drill.

So it needs a few bits and bobs repaired with the parts he has. I've got a good friend that is the master mechanic to my gunsmith and we trade favors all the time and he says, no problem and then we just have to figure out what he needs that I have. So that's all good. Then there will be a muffler. Super single the tires and of course the wheels and tires (not cheap but worth every penny). Then sound proof the cab w/hard top that's already there. Probably reupholster the two seats in the front or replace them with better mil spec stuff. I don't know, call it another $3k? Maybe a little more. But these are the 'maintenance' things that will be accomplished in the next year.

The funny part is, I WAS DONE. I had enough of the green iron disease from the past ten years. But the good price on a truck that I TRULY do enjoy owning? For $6k in this day and age, with the full page of stuff that is on it or goes with it...

YEAH, I folded like a cheap tent. Good thing I never actually sold a lot of stuff I have in my shed. It will be so much fun MOVING IT ALL BACK to Denver. But once there and a new house found and purchased... Well, it should be a great time. My 'old club' in Denver that the guy I'm buying the truck from is a member along with a lot of other folks I've missed over the past five years.

It's like a nicely broke in pair of old shoes. Ones that fit really well and look pretty good that you enjoy wearing because youv'e had them for so long. I can't wait. Well, finish packing up this house. Moving it someplace... Then selling this house - this will hopefully be the easiest part as houses in our area sell in the first week or so. Then finding just the right place for our 'retired life' as it were. I can finally settle in and set up all my stuff. All I need is a really nice big garage, hopefully somewhere rural (kinda).

Then get back to 'our lives' when ever all that is done.

PIECE OF PIE...

Wolfgang the Gray. Run away from this hobby. Of course you will regret never knowing all the great people on this site. In the club you could join. Meeting people along the way from all walks of life as crazy AS I AM. Ahhh, never mind. How do they say it down here in Tejas...

BIENVENIDOS my brother. Hey, it's not like wasting money on 'Hookers and Blow' now is it? WAY MORE FUN, after you wake up from the headache that it caused. And remember, keep a number in the back of your head that you will 'never' be offered for that FINE LOOKING DEUCE. My number is at least X2 or X3 and when you are offered that and they ask, check or cash, ALWAYS SAY CASH of course.

I guess I'm back in this green iron disease AGAIN. I'll see my MVCC brothers and sisters in the next few months. Once we are moved I WILL LET you all know we are back and how to contact us again.

peace

out
    Last edited by wallew; 03-25-2016 at 00:11.
    A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.
    "Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". T J
    When the pin is pulled, MR GRENADE is not your friend.
    When in doubt EMPTY THE MAGAZINE.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wallew For This Useful Post:

98G (04-14-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 22,252 Times in 7,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wallew View Post
    Wolfgang the Gray,

RUN BROTHER, RUN.

When we moved here to Texas, I told the wife I would NOT buy any more trucks. And I didn't. After a year here, I ended up being very ... um .... frustrated over a ... um... situation that soured me on the green iron. So I sold my two CUCV's. I still have the MKT and the MEP 003 that I had not sold yet.

So I sold my pristine M1028A dually with only 22k on it and my M1009 Blazer with 18k miles on it. I kept the trailers, telling myself I would wait a while and then sell them. I MAY STILL sell them. But for now, with the economy slowed, I can barely see the point.

Then the wife retires and we are now going home to Colorado. YEAH!!!

Then a good buddy of mine in Denver says he's selling his deuce. 1970 m35A2 w whistler w winch troop/cargo seats and cover

A full page of other 'stuff' that works and three things at the bottom that need attention, but the parts are NIB just not installed.

Plus convoy lights, a military radio that works on the VHF side (I'm a Ham operator so I had to have that) plus a nice spotlight with IR included but not installed on my list that he picked up for me.

I was at $6k with everything, right up until that last sentence, which cost me another $2k give or take. He would have easily removed it all, but then I would just have to go out and find it and then reinstall it, yada, yada, yada. You know the drill.

So it needs a few bits and bobs repaired with the parts he has. I've got a good friend that is the master mechanic to my gunsmith and we trade favors all the time and he says, no problem and then we just have to figure out what he needs that I have. So that's all good. Then there will be a muffler. Super single the tires and of course the wheels and tires (not cheap but worth every penny). Then sound proof the cab w/hard top that's already there. Probably reupholster the two seats in the front or replace them with better mil spec stuff. I don't know, call it another $3k? Maybe a little more. But these are the 'maintenance' things that will be accomplished in the next year.

The funny part is, I WAS DONE. I had enough of the green iron disease from the past ten years. But the good price on a truck that I TRULY do enjoy owning? For $6k in this day and age, with the full page of stuff that is on it or goes with it...

YEAH, I folded like a cheap tent. Good thing I never actually sold a lot of stuff I have in my shed. It will be so much fun MOVING IT ALL BACK to Denver. But once there and a new house found and purchased... Well, it should be a great time. My 'old club' in Denver that the guy I'm buying the truck from is a member along with a lot of other folks I've missed over the past five years.

It's like a nicely broke in pair of old shoes. Ones that fit really well and look pretty good that you enjoy wearing because youv'e had them for so long. I can't wait. Well, finish packing up this house. Moving it someplace... Then selling this house - this will hopefully be the easiest part as houses in our area sell in the first week or so. Then finding just the right place for our 'retired life' as it were. I can finally settle in and set up all my stuff. All I need is a really nice big garage, hopefully somewhere rural (kinda).

Then get back to 'our lives' when ever all that is done.

PIECE OF PIE...

Wolfgang the Gray. Run away from this hobby. Of course you will regret never knowing all the great people on this site. In the club you could join. Meeting people along the way from all walks of life as crazy AS I AM. Ahhh, never mind. How do they say it down here in Tejas...

BIENVENIDOS my brother. Hey, it's not like wasting money on 'Hookers and Blow' now is it? WAY MORE FUN, after you wake up from the headache that it caused. And remember, keep a number in the back of your head that you will 'never' be offered for that FINE LOOKING DEUCE. My number is at least X2 or X3 and when you are offered that and they ask, check or cash, ALWAYS SAY CASH of course.

I guess I'm back in this green iron disease AGAIN. I'll see my MVCC brothers and sisters in the next few months. Once we are moved I WILL LET you all know we are back and how to contact us again.

peace

out
    Wallew,
    That's great news! Glad to hear you're returning to the motorized aspect of the Green Iron Disease.
    Be blessed in all your plans for joint retirement and relocation.
    John (& Dianna)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,269 Times in 2,144 Posts

Time to make this thread alive again
    It is a sticky after all
    I was here, had a good time.

MVPA
    37931E
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wallew View Post

Guess I missed this last year. I got a different deuce in late Jun & have really been enjoying it. As far as your suggestion to run away, I'm happy finally having an MV. Like every hobby, it is a continuing investment & if not in this hobby, it would be one of my many others. Glad you got to move back to Denver! I grew up in Monument & after the USAF, we lived in Colorado Springs. Don't think I would go back now though after the government banned half the magazines I own for one of my other hobbies, shooting.

As a group of soldiers stood in formation at an Army Base, the Drill Sergeant said, "All right! All you idiots fall out."
    As the rest of the squad wandered away, one soldier remained at attention.
    The Drill Instructor walked over until he was eye-to-eye with him, and then raised a single eyebrow.
    The soldier smiled and said, "Sure was a lot of 'em, huh, sir?"

1969 Kaiser Jeep M35A2
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    2008 Ural Gear-Up
    1991 Jeep Wrangler (355,000 + miles)

Private
    Thanks

I traded a numbers matching 67 BB coronet 500 for mine, snapped turbo, front dif full of water, EVERYTHING leaked...... I got that girl tittie tight now. I'll drive it over my nice new powerwagon....oh and I now have stock in Chevron, Goodyear, and the local scrap yard lol

Thanks

Thought I should provide a counterpoint argument to some of the trepidations brought up in this thread.

I'm not a mechanic. Was never in the military, and never even drove anything bigger than a pick up truck. I'm good at reading things and learning how things work. And I've never been afraid to take a leap of faith.

Do your research. Know the costs you'll likely face...make sure you have lots of room on your credit card for the costs you never thought of.

I think if you think you want an deuce and you have a place to put it, money and/or time to work on one, then go for it.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to montaillou For This Useful Post:

CMPPhil (06-03-2018), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (03-21-2018)

Thanks

1. My Deuce cost me $6000 fully rebuilt plus $2200 of upgrades I initially wanted. Grand total of $8200 (no shipping needed).
    2. After constantly looking through ePay, gov auction sites, privet sellers, big re-fab shops and reading until my head ached and my eyes bled, I waited and researched (all be it casually sometimes) for 15 years until I pulled the trigger and bought one.
    3. I went with a small company an hour from my current residence (I am active duty aka moving around a lot, so this added to my wait) to rebuild and restore the exact model and year that I wanted. As I lack the space, time and equipment to do a major overhaul myself.
    4. I regret nothing, sure it took a long time and I don’t get to do the initial work myself but it was all for the best in the end. As I type this my M35A2C is getting her finishing touches to be 100% restored to her former glory and I get to do the rest of the upgrades/ repairs myself.
    5. I have no fear of doing the operator level maint and PMCS of my truck (I do it every Monday anyway). I also look forward to the inevitable challenges of doing higher level maint myself as well because I have an awesome resource at my disposal......... You guys and this site!
    1971 M35A2C " Marauder"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrmag1 For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-03-2018)

Private
    Thanks

Awesome how you specifically give recognition to people to Katahdin

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8