• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MadDawg's M37 gun truck project

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will all be bolted together. I'm sure a lot of the originals were bolted AND welded, but I can see welds cracking from shaking around in the bed when the truck's body flexes. I heard a lot of the welded ones in Vietnam required constant re-welding from the stress cracks that formed over time.

Spent most of the day on the truck again. Changed a worn choke cable. Put on the fender gaskets and straightened out some dents in the inner fenders and running boards again. Bolted everything back together. Mounted a sugar scoop antenna base on the rear corner of the cab, even though I will be installing an MX-2799 on the top of the armor, the sugar scoop will be there as an additional base for future use. Bolted the RT-524 base and mounting plate to the front armor, and got it ready for install, when my drill bit broke from drilling a hole in the bed side. First thing tomorrow gotta run to the store and get a new one to continue the armor install.

Pic below shows the front armor with the bulkhead opening to load the crew into the box. One of the pics I have of RLW shows an opening similar to this, because it was taken at an angle I can't be sure of it's shape, but there were a couple other gun trucks with this bulkhead opening shape, so I'll use some creative license and use it here.

These steel pieces are heavy - not too heavy, the largest ones for the sides are 200 lbs each. However, because they are so dense and awkward to move around, it's hard to not drop one on your foot. They use up an entire spray can of primer for each piece just priming them. I'm gonna have $25 worth of primer used up on just these pieces. :(

Hope you guys are liking the progress....

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the rebuilt carb back this morning - the mechanic said the carb was filled with dried varnish from sitting with old gas in it for a long time. Also, the jets and gaskets were ALL shot. Now I know why it ran like crap at Haspin. Will stab that back on shortly, and more pics to come.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M60s came in today, now we got da heat. The pic shows the two, they were built by Reese Surplus out of demilled parts and aluminum castings. Top is as arrived, except for the platform mount, which is mine. Bottom shows it with a real M60 rear sight installed, as well as a real carry handle and feed tray, which did not come from Reese, but I'm gonna stab them on for the Vietnam hooch display this weekend at Gilbert for more realism. Also have belts and belts of ammo to put out there with the dummy guns.

I have a problem with the pintles I'm going to use for the gun truck, the M60D pintles I have don't work with the platform mounts. I'm going to have Bismarck Guns make up a couple standard 30/50 pintles, but instead with the long steel shaft to insert into the 1" pipe I have for the side mounts on the armor. Will show pics of them when they are built.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another box showed up today. About 6 feet long and weighed 65 lbs. Gee, I wonder what it is?

Turns out that being on the naughty list ain't that bad. I'll have to keep banging Mrs. Claus under the table to get these presents, I tell you what.

Actually, it was built by Bismarck Guns, it was crafted out of steel, patterned after the original, made in the USA. Came with 12 linked dummy rounds for display as well. Looks good enough for me....

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did only a couple things on it since I got back from Gilbert rally. Will post some pics this evening - focusing more on the job front past week as the money is getting REAL tight now.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed the completely rebuilt carb today. The rebuilder blasted the outside in a cabinet, new everything, looks great. Also, the armor was completely installed, and then a couple panels had to come out - one of them has a radius cut incorrectly and it is messing the whole left side of the armor box up. My fault, not the plasma cutter's - I took a measurement just a little too short to clear the fenderwell. Will get it re-cut this week at the plasma cutters, and reinstall in correct fashion.

A couple pics to tide you over. Note the pic of the right side of the truck. She's starting to look like a gun truck finally!

Attachments

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have to borrow a steering wheel puller from Advance Auto Parts tomorrow, I tried replacing the steering wheel today but it is on there something fierce. Will post more pics tomorrow.

nattieleather

If your replacing the steering wheel and don't plan on reusing the original one then don't be affraid to use a BFH. I had to beat mine off. Puller wouldn't even budge it!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just letting everyone know the money is gone on this end, running on fumes, so to speak. SO, make a long story short, the M37 gun truck is on hold for now. Not to mention, the weather is getting colder and the leaves are falling, so RLW is living under a tarp until the money and the weather situation improves. The only major remaining thing is the bodywork and paint, the rest is pretty much done. Worst case scenario, she will be finished up and painted come Springtime, just in time for Aberdeen 2011. That would be a perfect end to the project, being ready for show at the rally there.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it's almost Spring, the freezing weather is over and the tarp got taken off the truck today. Will have to get my ass in gear if it's to be done before Aberdeen. PLUS - I decided the rotten rear floor is going to need replacement, the armor is sinking through a couple spots where the metal is barely there. I fear hitting a couple bumps in the road will cause the armor to just fall through the sheet metal and I'll have bigger problems then.

Danger Ranger

Just found this, and enjoying it! :grd:
As for the gaps where there are no supportive posts, its like watching TV without commercials!;) rofl
Keep up the good work! :beer:

vtdeucedriver

Well, it's almost Spring, the freezing weather is over and the tarp got taken off the truck today. Will have to get my ass in gear if it's to be done before Aberdeen. PLUS - I decided the rotten rear floor is going to need replacement, the armor is sinking through a couple spots where the metal is barely there. I fear hitting a couple bumps in the road will cause the armor to just fall through the sheet metal and I'll have bigger problems then.
Well instead of replacing the M-37 bed floor, why not make it a "Box" with a steel floor and bolt it to your bed where its good??? I bet the added protection for those "land mines" would be a nice addition to that 14 GA steel. Would do what you need done and be authentic in a repair. Just do yourself a favor and cut a hole where the sending unit is. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks