• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

salt lake city -> memphis, Texas

Maverick1701

Im buying my deuce from Boyce the weekend of sept 11th. I am flying down that thursday (9th) and driving back to memphis, Texas. I am thinking about spending the day in SLC (if there are any SS members there who want to get together) then start back thurs evening or friday morning.

Im still not decided on a route yet but I will probably end up going through
provo, moab, cortez, down through alberquerque then through amarillo.

If there is anyone along that route who wants to meet for b-fast,lunch, dinner or just to BS about MVs for a little while, let me know and we can set it up.

Im also going to try and look up that SS emergency contact list...just in case (knock on wood)

They are going to install a winch and I am getting a hard top as well....it will be nice to have both tops

My plan is to repaint it desert tan w/the desert storm inverted V on the door (just ordered the paint), install an M66 gun ring (w/replica M2) and then eventually install detroits in the rear axles.
Im also going to put DIY bed liner in the bed and maybe on the floor of the cab

As for tires, Im not sure if I am going to keep it military stock w/the NDT tires or single out the rears, flip the hubs and throw on 46in Michelin XMLs....decisions decisions

Attachments

Last edited:

Maverick1701

I live in Orem about 2 miles from provo would love to meet and greet a fellow SS
Sounds great to me, I would love to meet some more SS guys.
Ill shoot you a PM w/my info.

Sounds like a fun trip.

Everytime I've looked at the Boyce site their prices seem way high. Do they deal some off those prices listed?
Boyce is higher than most (I couldnt ever find prices on their site) but you do get a truck that isnt going to nickel and dime you to death. I am paying 9500 for a truck w/both tops, winch and 90% or greater tires.

They also go through the entire truck and replace any faulty/possibly faulty parts. They tear into the axles, running gear, motor, etc. I would rather pay a little more now and not have to deal w/any major failures (knock on wood) for a while.

Buying from Boyce has been an absolute pleasure, they are very knowledgeable and really know their stuff when it comes to MVs. I will gladly buy from them again when the time comes.

Maverick1701

Wow, apparently LE pays better in TX than it does here.:shock:

I guess that's still about the same price as a decent ATV...I can't afford one of them either.:cry:
haha it pays about avg., I just live super cheap lol

Impact Guns & Range

Mark Boyce is a great guy. I'm happy to support his business, it's a great resource. It's only money- you can always make more...
Thanks, Ill be there w/bells on lol

yea, I hate to spend money (Im super frugal) but I would rather buy a truck for 9500 instead of buying a cheaper truck for 3000 and doing 6500 worth of work/parts into it (it would just kill me to drop 3K-5K for a deuce only to have it be undriveable until I throw lots of money/work at it....I want to drive it now lol),

I am paying 9500 for a truck w/both tops, winch and 90% or greater tires. /QUOTE]

Wow, hope it serves you well. :roll:
Thanks, I hear their trucks should last me quite a while w/normal maint.

They are also throwing in a jack, spare tire or two, tools, extra fluids, filters etc.

everything I need to get me home

Last edited:

blacktop_one

Your indicated route is the best way to go. I used to work for AAA in the travel routing department and that's the preferred route thru that area - no nightmares, roadwise. Do NOT be tempted to go thru Grand Junction, Ouray, Silverton, and Durango. That's a suicide run for a deuce! I know some on here have done it, but the Million Dollar Highway is more fun than you'd want to have. High pucker factor with no guard rails, narrow lanes, and sheer drop offs of thousands of feet in many places. Northbound is scary, southbound is hair-standing-up-on-the-back-of-your-neck frightening! Beautiful scenery, though! Have a great trip - enjoy your new deuce!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I hope they throw in a couple of tubes of Prep H.......that is going to be a looooooong drive.

If it doesn't have a springer seat in it I would have them put one in before you drive back to Memphis.

Good luck on the grand adventure.

Maverick1701

If you go through Vegas and need help, or want to stop and have chow/crash for the night let me know.
thanks ABM but vegas is the opposite way I will be going....now if I get lost and end up out there i may give you a ring lol

I hope they throw in a couple of tubes of Prep H.......that is going to be a looooooong drive.

If it doesn't have a springer seat in it I would have them put one in before you drive back to Memphis.

Good luck on the grand adventure.
haha I made sure it had the spring seat....othewise I would have a rearranged spine by the time I got home.

Let me know if you stop in the Farmington NM area. I am close by and can help or shoot the breeze/drink some brews!
PM sent.

I dont pass through farmngton but I am going to be passing through shiprock which is very very close. I may alter the route and to through farmington then go south from bloomfield to alb.

Your indicated route is the best way to go. I used to work for AAA in the travel routing department and that's the preferred route thru that area - no nightmares, roadwise. Do NOT be tempted to go thru Grand Junction, Ouray, Silverton, and Durango. That's a suicide run for a deuce! I know some on here have done it, but the Million Dollar Highway is more fun than you'd want to have. High pucker factor with no guard rails, narrow lanes, and sheer drop offs of thousands of feet in many places. Northbound is scary, southbound is hair-standing-up-on-the-back-of-your-neck frightening! Beautiful scenery, though! Have a great trip - enjoy your new deuce!

That is VERY good to know. My Sheriff wants me to go through grand junction, montrose, to gunnison etc. He was on an SO in gunnison back in his younger days and is trying to get me to stop in there.

I dont really want to experience small lanes, sheer drops, and no guard rails....I dont have a death wish.

area52

I agree, GJ, Ouray, and Silverton and that highway is no place for a deuce. Its scary in anything larger than a car!

I suggest you go through Farmington instead of going through Shiprock and down to Gallup. That highway is under construction and is not the best for a deuce, I know, I drove one from California up that road a few years ago.

The highway from Bloomfield to Alb is much better, 4 lanes all the way and in good shape.

Maverick1701

I agree, GJ, Ouray, and Silverton and that highway is no place for a deuce. Its scary in anything larger than a car!

I suggest you go through Farmington instead of going through Shiprock and down to Gallup. That highway is under construction and is not the best for a deuce, I know, I drove one from California up that road a few years ago.

The highway from Bloomfield to Alb is much better, 4 lanes all the way and in good shape.

consider my route changed to take 550 from bloomington to alb. after passing through farmington

area52

If you leave early on Fri morning, you might make it to Farmington by evening. There are quite a few good hotels in town with good truck parking.

baxter

I also got my truck from boyce I traded my boat for it. I feel it was very fair. Mark is a great guy to work with. Just the othe week I got a flat a few miles from him without a spare( I know what was I thinking) but mark sent out one of his guys got me back to his shop and fixed my tire. I give mark all the buiseness I can He is a good guy. Good luck with the drive back be safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks