• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

another electrical problem

6x6pinz

One of the guys in the club has been trying to install a 24v to 12v converter in his mog. He has used the radio plug under the drivers seat as his point of connection for power. after melting two converters and some wiring he checked the voltage at the plug and found it to be 36v. first thing I asked was if the truck was running and he said only the main power switch was on. any suggestions or a better place to find 24v power for the converter?
The truck is a 404 and had no civilian modifications done to it at this time.
Thanks, Mike president@swpinzgauer.org

Jones

I've had several 404s and all have had two 12v batteries in series for the 24v system. Does your friend have a third 12v batt somewhere in the system? Maybe someone put one in for a 12v source and managed to get it wired-in in series too. There used to be some special application 18v aircraft batteries lurking around 'though I haven't seen any in years. Otherwise, if he's getting 36v out of a 24v set-up, I and several energy companies would love to talk to him.
Best place for a 24v to 12v converter is right off the batteries, using good sized wire (12 ga or better), and with a circuit breaker to protect everything. Converters will draw some amps and the shorter the wire runs the better the system likes it. Run the 12v output to a fused terminal block and you've got a system any factory would be proud to turn out.
Have him check the gen output when the truck's running too. I can't believe he's got that massive an overcharge problem without having other signs; like extremely bright but short-lived lightbulbs.
Hope this helps.

6x6pinz

thanks
I'll pass it on. I wish I had time to get over there and look for myself. He has done the converter in his past pinzgauers and g-wagons. I asked him about a third battery and also if he was checking voltage when the truck was running. He has told me the reading comes when truck is off. I know it has been hot here lately but solar energy without panels is something special.

6x6pinz

The problem has been found. The issue was the testing equipment. One of our members who lives closer to him went over with his stuff and found no problem in the 24v side. The guy in an attempt to put lights in the rear ran a wire in a bad place and the cab rubbed it bare causing it to short out and taking the converters with it. Thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks