• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adjust FDC on the fly???

Green Toys

Hi guys, this site is great!!!!!

I purchased a M52A2 about 3 weeks ago, Love the truck. I disconceted the FCD, installed the pryo in the manifold, and cranked up the fuel, I loved the power but the smoke was too much for the neighbor hood. Yesterday I took apart the FDC to see how it worked. It was very simple, just a ramp that movies up and down. So I gutted it and attached a twist locking throttle cable to it and made it adjustible on the fly. I love it, you have to give a lot of fuel to start it but then you can turn it down and the smoke goes away, empty around town I can trun it up and have tons of power and smoke, pulling a trailer I can turn it down to control the EGT's. Can any one think of a problem running it this way, I think its cool.:driver:

Green Toys

Sorry the pictures are not that good, as you can see the cable just goes in center of the FDC, and the dash pick showes Lean (Out) and Rich (In). This weekend ill take it appart for more picts.

I have a C turbo, is there any way to get more boost? I have plenty of fuel, I can put the pryo any temp I want, just trun the knob.

Attachments

Last edited:

Brian H.

You'll probably have to install a larger turbo if you want more boost reliably. I'm not an expert of course, but turbos are built/mapped for a specific maximum boost.

I don't have time right now, or I would go more in depth.

jdknech

i know my engine will go BOOM soon, but i'm pushing 30psi on my truck, and i have the fuel CRANKED! i have been running it that way for a year(i use it everyday on the farm) with no problems... i'm not sure what turbo i have though..

Green Toys

Being able to adjut the fuel while driving is cool. on flat ground 5 th gear (overdrive) the truck wil max out @ 50 MPH with the fuel all the way down, no smoke. with the pedal to the metal. Turing the fuel up you can hear the bark of the engine get louder and louder as the EGT go up. @ 12 pounds of boost the EGT's are 1200. Ive hit 15 PSI but the EGT passed 1500!. I know too HOT. But it was cool. I think with an upgraded turbo this truck could really run.

Green Toys

WOW !!!!!!!!! Just had a great day working on the 5 Ton. The Steering wheel is now 3" taller, no more hitting the knees. yea. but the coolest thing the the amazing power differance. I disambled the waist gate on the turbo. found a very weak spring allowing it to stay open. So I set up a overide, forcing it to stay closed. All I can say is wow!!!! Before @ top speed around 72 MPH the boost was 12 PSI and the Pyro @ 1300. now @ 72 MPH the boost is 27 PSI and the Pyro is @ 1175. when shift gears the boost gauge looks my 6.0 ford. it whips right over, and the egt stay low. Not sure what possible damage to the turbo, this truck is equiped with a air to air cooler done by panzerwillie, he did a great job on it, on the first run one of the intercooler lines blew @ around 28 PSI, I nearly craped my self. Lots of Fun!!!!! will post picts soon.

ede

would this work on my m35a2 ???? if it will would you post some more pics, i tried even putting on my sunglass and still could not get past that glare, lol :p

Reactions: AMX

Green Toys

ede, if it has a FDC it can be reworked to be adjustible on the fly from you dash. Turn it down when your pulling a heavy load, and turn in up when drag racing. well sort of. LOL

Green Toys

New update, her is the pic of the waist gate lock down, I tryed it out pulling my big truck, the
total weight is about 49 K pounds. She did just fine, only got up to about 63, but thats fine with me.
I double checke the spedo with gps, the R on miles per hour is 71. I love this truck!!!!!!

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
C and D turbos do NOT have a wastegate.

hdexpert

Green Toys, nice mods!! I just took the FDC off my spare pump and I see what you're talking about. It's a very simple device. Can you post a pic or two of the inside of the FDC? I'd like to see how you attached the cable to the metal shaft.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice mod but I think this way you only can get the max the FDC would adjust for. Now if you rigged up a way to pull the Twin nut fuel shaft in or out you could go to max fuel. It's on a spring shaft and if you ever noticed you can grab the twin nuts and shaft and pull it out away from IP. The nuts hold it out and from going in.

Or did you attach to the fuel wedge on your set up not the servo?

Yea no problem being able to adjust. great job.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Any chance you have a pic of the FDC ramp and how you fixed it to the cable? I wouldn't mind playing around with the concept a bit myself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks