• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Temporary tags in different states

MFF

Hi to everybody out in MV-land,

I'm planning to bring some trailers with a temporary tag back to AR. As I've heard recently that there are states as MA, which don't accept temp tags I'd like to know if the following states are OK:
AR, AL, FL, GA, LA, MS, TN, TX

Thanx in advance!

Chris

papercu

Didn't see the post but I think it just meant some state didn't issue temp tags, if your state will issue one it would be good in all states you are just passing though. Wayne

DieselBob

I would think that any state would have to honor a tag from any other state, be it temp or not. Now I know some states don't issue a transport tag, sometimes called a temp tag.

Carl_in_NH

Didn't see the post but I think it just meant some state didn't issue temp tags, if your state will issue one it would be good in all states you are just passing though. Wayne
NOT true - at least in the case of MA; NH issues temp plates, and you are specifically told that MA does not accept them as an indication of registration.

If you drive in MA with an NH temp 'paper' 20-day plate, you are considered 'unregistered', and it will be towed away while they write you a ticket.

DieselBob

NOT true - at least in the case of MA; NH issues temp plates, and you are specifically told that MA does not accept them as an indication of registration.

If you drive in MA with an NH temp 'paper' 20-day plate, you are considered 'unregistered', and it will be towed away while they write you a ticket.
Thanks for the info. That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. But it is the gooberment. I wonder how they get away with that. I don't see, legally, what the difference is between the temp and regular tag. Both indicate that the vehicle was registered in the state of issue. I wonder what would happen if NH declared that MA tags are not considered registration of a vehicle.

datsunaholic

Washington is similar. Washington has 3 types of temporary registration- Temp tags you get when waiting for a regular plate. You've already paid for a full plate set, just haven't received it yet. I get those all the time when I renew and have to replace the plates every 7 years. Cars sold at dealers get those type too. Those are OK in most other States, I see those in Oregon/Idaho and Oregon/Idaho ones in WA, since cars get sold cross-border all the time.

Then there are trip and transit permits. Trip permits are 3 day, transit are point-to-point 1 day. Neither are good outside Washington, and Washington won't allow the same from other States. BUT... when I was towing a truck (on a tow dolly) from California to Washington that hadn't been tagged in 15 years, I asked Cali and Oregon DOLs... Oregon said "use your Washington trip permit". Cali said I was SOL... they don't take WA trip permits, and I'd have to be a Cali resident to get Cali trip permits (plus there was question if I could since it was 15 years overdue and never had a inoperable registration filed). The person on the phone actually told me to just use the Washington permit and feign ignorance if I got pulled over. I didn't get pulled over.

Carl_in_NH

It is a silly law; the only difference I can think of between the 'real' and the 'temp' plates is to get the real plates you've got to pay the fees and taxes to the town and state to register it, and start the process of getting the title if the vehicle requires it (due to year, 3 axles, etc). With the 20-day temp plate, you just show your bill-of-sale and give the registry $10 and you're good to go. The registry copies down all your information and makes a copy of your bill-of-sale when you get the temp plate - so MA can't think the vehicle is 'undocumented' or its ownership is 'unverified' (although no title check has occured until you start the title process with the real registration - so that might be the sticking point).

As for paying the taxes and fees on a real registration, they go to the town in NH in which the vehicle is registered, and to the state of NH - so it's not like MA would be missing out on revenue.

Perhaps it's just because MA is a crappy state, with crappy laws. Yeah, that's it. Glad I finally figured it out :)

Nonotagain

Maryland will only issue a temporary tag for a vehicle for which a title has been presented but is awaiting a state vehicle inspection.

We do not have a temporary plate, which allows for transport with no title though some states do.

I used to have access to a transporter tag, which allows for transit, like a dealer tag, but they are only issued to people in the trade.

Under the national compact, any tag issued has to be accepted by all states. Temporary inspection plates typically only allow for transit within the state, which it was issued.

Many years ago the Maryland temp tag was a paper tag, the numbers were in red and only allowed for transport between your home and a location to have the vehicle worked on. My dad was a police officer that worked permanent third shift and had a field day writing citations for people using the temp tags for daily transportation.

The current MD temp inspection tag is now a metal tag that is indistinguishable from a regular vehicle tag. After the vehicle has been inspected the MVA converts this tag into you regular vehicle registration.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Temp tags are OK in GA as well.

In fact...when I registered the M54A1...they were out of "JN" commercial plates...so they gave me a 60 day paper plate but the state sent my "real" plates in about 2 weeks!!!

Go figure.....prisoners make the plates here...what else do they have to do? How can ya run out of plates??

papercu

Massachusetts doesn't allow temporary tags
O.K I think I understand now, it not every state temporary tag that Massachusetts has problems with.
New Hampshire does not require drivers to have insurance so anybody driving with ANY kind of New Hampshire plates could be pulled over, ticketed and towed if they cannot prove they have auto insurance or proof of financial responsibility in Massachusetts or any other state for that matter.
I recently moved to New Hampshire and am wondering about?
So unless Massachusetts require insurance on trailers, temporary tags from any other state should be good in Massachusetts. Wayne

Engine5

O.K I think I understand now, it not every state temporary tag that Massachusetts has problems with.
New Hampshire does not require drivers to have insurance so anybody driving with ANY kind of New Hampshire plates could be pulled over, ticketed and towed if they cannot prove they have auto insurance or proof of financial responsibility in Massachusetts or any other state for that matter.
I recently moved to New Hampshire and am wondering about?
So unless Massachusetts require insurance on trailers, temporary tags from any other state should be good in Massachusetts. Wayne
Double check that info Papercu. As I was told by the MA DMV , MA does not recognize ANY temp tags. It comes down to the almighty $$$$. I also checked with a trooper friend and he confirmed it for me. Just double check to CYA. In MA a lot of DMV laws are purposely written in the gray area, it gives the officer who pulled you over the excuse of HIS interpretation of the law. In the mean time your in cuffs and your truck/trailer are on a flatbed. It will cost you quite a few dollars in the long run.

Carl_in_NH

Papercu;

NH DMV mentions MA doesn’t honor temp plates because there are so many people who venture South into MA from NH that they are, in effect, doing a kindness by pointing out that MA will not honor the plates.

Sadly, if the intent of the law was to make certain that people had insurance in MA when driving there from NH with temp plates, it’s a wonderfully (and typically) misguided law. I’ve had three temp plates in the last couple years – and each and every time I’ve made certain I was insured before putting the plate on the vehicle, because I try to be responsible and make certain that I won’t lose everything I’ve worked a lifetime to achieve in the event of an accident. Given the NH ‘option’ of having insurance, there’s nothing about having a real metal plate that would confirm the vehicle was insured.

The only thing I can logically think of in this case that would make a temp plate ‘different’ in the eyes of MA is that to obtain one, a title application must be in process for vehicles that require a title to receive a metal plate (if you already had a title at the time of registration, they would have provided a metal plate from the stock sequential numbers, or a temp plate in the event of application for a vanity plate until the metal ones arrived in the mail). Given the amount of auto theft in MA, this just might be the underlying reason for all this nonsense – at least in the eyes of the legislature, where logic and careful and complete thought are rare if not non-existent.

If anyone is curious as to why I’m so negative about DMV (and other) laws in MA it’s because I was born and raised there, and made good my escape 20 years ago. Sadly, over the last decade or so our State to the North has turned into the same legal cesspit in many areas because of a similar mindset of lawmakers and voters – many of whom fled North from MA after they had ruined their original State; it’s getting to be time to uproot and move again. Sigh.

Last edited:

papercu

doing a kindness by pointing out that MA will not honor the plates.
That is what so strange to me, you don't usually see a state doing that for traffic laws. Is there a high number of people that live in NH but work in MA? Wayne

Dave08

I am currently having a problem in Florida just getting a tag. Oh I can get a tag if I want to pay out the a...(((! I went yesterday (16 Aug) to get plates on my 1970 M109A3s. I was attempting to get antique plates. However, the lady at the window for registrations stated that the vehicles were commercial vehicles and did not qualify for antique plates. She stated that I could get regular tags and that is when she told me that from the 16th of Aug until the 31 of December would cost me $230 per truck for a total of $460 for 4 and a half months. Outrageous. Needless to say, I am researching this issue and did not purchase any plates. I was told by another M35A2 owner in the state of Florida that his was registered as a Jeep. Does anyone know what is the ground truth in this?
I am researching and will keep everyone informed.
Thanks,
Dave08:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks