• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 minimum head thickness?

5.0fox

Does anyone know what the minimum head thickness specs are for the 6.2? We just took four heads down to the machine shop and we were told all of them were unusable because they had already been milled beyond minimum thickness. We thought it was weird that all four of them were bad. Even the machinist was wondering, but he said that going off of his specs they are out. Just want to double check before we get rid of them. thanks.

JAsher45

I have searched and looked in all the TM's and NMWR's that i have and i can not find anything. the military standard is if it is warped throw it out... once you machine it you have to get a thicker head gasket this falls under the keep it simple stupid equation. i will keep digging and see if i can get you an answer

5.0fox

I would greatly appreciate that. If we have to get new heads that would be fine we were just stumped that all four would be out of spec. So where do we go to find thicker head gaskets if that is the course we should take? The machinist did say the heads were true and not warped but claimed that they were to far machined already. Just wanted to double check with you guys first.

flyingfrog509

Probably a day late or years for that matter, but it seems Rock Auto has them .010 over.

FEL-PRO Part # 9128PT
.010" thicker for use when block is refaced; Head bolts not incl.; Head bolt replacement recommended
$31.99

That is for 85' and I'd ask some of the other guys around here if the Fel-Pro's are good or not...I can't speak to that. I just usually buy parts from them because they are well priced. They also have head bolts if you need to replace them.

5.0fox

I appreciate the response.We will definitely check into those, that may be enough to get us. Not to late at all on the response we are still working on getting the thing moved along. It's still sitting in the same spot torn apart and waiting to run again:mrgreen:

JAsher45

this is taken from NMWR 9-2815-274 : Using a straight edge and feeler gauge, check flatness of cylinder head to block mating surface. Flatness of cylinder head (11) must not vary more than 0.002-in. (0.051 mm) in distance of 6 in. (15.2 cm), or more than 0.006 in. (0.152 mm) overall. Replace cylinder head (11) if flatness does not meet
specifications.

flyingfrog509

Probably a day late or years for that matter, but it seems Rock Auto has them .010 over.
Ops, I'm a dill weed...I read the join date thinking it was the thread date...and I'm a computer programmer. I'm so ashamed.

So how hard is it to get the heads off? Looks like I'll be doing the same soon. White smoke and loosing coolant over time and strong fuel smell. Didn't think much of it other than maybe a leak somewhere or diesel just stink until I read up on it out here. Bummer for me. Hoping to get through hunting season before taking things apart. You wouldn't know how bad it is to be driving with a leaking head gasket would you? It isn't real bad, but I've noticed my MPG is down to 15ish and power is down a bit.

5.0fox

I wouldn't recommend it imo. As it could possibly hydro-lock and break something. Also you could potentially be contaminating your oil with coolant and water. I'm sure others will chime in.

We had the stepvan on the job out gettting materials and we went to crank it and the starter locked up immediately. We knew it had hydro-locked so we pulled the glow plug at the front passenger side cylinder (where the gasket had blown the 1st time) and cranked it over by hand to get most of the coolant out of the cylinder. We were able to fire it up and drive it home, but it was only a short distance.

AndrewH

I have the civilian 1986 factory gm service manual, it says:
"Measure cylinder head warpage, if warped more than 0.15 mm (0.006 inch) longitudinally, or 0.8 mm (0.003 inch) transfersly, replace the cylinder head. Resurfacing is not recommended"

Hope that helps -Andrew

ralbelt

Flyingfrog, I had my heads off last winter for the same reason. I read that if it hydrolocks you could possibly bend a connecting rod.
You can probably have the heads off in 2.5 to 3 hrs, I was using a air ratchet for take down, not for build up. I had one cracked head that had to be replaced, that was the one smoking badly, the other side was resurfaced and all the valves inspected and replaced as needed.
Replaced the fuel lift pump while the head was off, gives a lot better access.
Replace all gaskets, and all rubber hoses. Had the injectors rebuilt, new open plane intake manifold.
Had exhaust manifolds resurfaced, new gaskets and donuts.
Build up was about 4.5 hours outside in 30 degree weather.
Copy all the pertanent pages from the TM and keep them in the engine bay for reference. Well worth the effort I would not hesitate to do it again.
If you are getting steamy smoke when you take off your oil fill that is water and you may see a white film on the cover , that is oil and water mixing.
Mine cleared up after 2 oil changes and a few hundred miles, you may also want a new cdr valve.
And remember boys and girls, The first rule of owning a CUCV " If its rubber replace it, if its electrical clean it."

87cr250r

FEL-PRO Part # 9128PT
.010" thicker for use when block is refaced; Head bolts not incl.; Head bolt replacement recommended
$31.99

That is for 85' and I'd ask some of the other guys around here if the Fel-Pro's are good or not...I can't speak to that. I just usually buy parts from them because they are well priced. They also have head bolts if you need to replace them.
I believe Fel-Pro is OEM for much of the GM stuff including Detroit and EMD.

rnd-motorsports

I have been building engines for years will not use anything except fel-pro or victor. Prefer the fel-pro. also not that bad of a job Mitchell manuel says 13.3 Hr. to r/r head gaskets but can do the job in less time. take your time and you will be okay!:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks