• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fighting brush fire w/deuces....A2, A3, M36

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our fire rig finally all setup ready to rock!
Mav:
She's lookin' good! Ready to ROCK n ROLL ! ! !

Whatchy'all gonna power with that genny???

P.S. : I like your Stormin' Norman avatar :D

We used to only get a talking to if we dented or bent something.

Scratches just ment the truck was actully at the scene and not sitting in the house
Our Deuce came fresh out of rebuild to the Eldorado, TX VFD. The dents, dings, and wrinkles she carries are her BATTLE SCARS from that public service duty. She wears them proudly. Only those scars that effect functionality are being fixed as time permits. The cosmetic reminders of her previous life are being "preserved" as a tribute to her heroic exploits.

nice pics love to see them at work We have three trucks
the 2 1/2 ton has been updated with new tires and added a winch off another truck that was being parted out
Yours are lookin' good too! You mentioned THREE trucks, but my eyes see only TWO. Does the third one have the super-secret invisibility option???? LOL

Carry on.

Maverick1701

Mav:
She's lookin' good! Ready to ROCK n ROLL ! ! !

Whatchy'all gonna power with that genny???

P.S. : I like your Stormin' Norman avatar :D

thank you sir! norman is my hero!

I got those through my SO and we gave one each to our local FDs.

Memphis fire likes it (and the city) because it has enough juice to power the water treatment plant if we have to (or any other essential building here in town).

Turkey fire is going to use theirs for something similar I hear....probably to power the FD during natrual disasters so they can use it as an HQ of sorts.

Maverick1701

Update #1 of 2
Here are some glamour shots from the 2016-2017 fire season.
I apologize for not updating this thread over the past few years. It totally slipped my mind.

I have the website saved on my desktop so I can update more often (and won't forget about it again). We get our fair share of brush fires out here in the TX panhandle and as the law enforcement officer on scene I have plenty of spare time to snap pictures with my camera. So get ready for more glamour shots of deuces & 5-tons doing what they do best.

fire 5.jpgfire 4.jpgfire 3.jpgfire 2.jpgfire 1.jpg

Last edited:

Maverick1701

Well we were back at it today (and still are on scene). This brush fire kicked off around 1230pm.

Currently we have 2 sheriff's offices (hall county SO (my dpt), and briscoe county SO) and 8 fire dpts on scene (memphis, turkey, silverton, quitaque, floydada, clarendon, flomont, and tx forest service.

Our acreage estimate at 4pm was 2000 acres burned. We are probably up past 4K at the moment (and it's still burning)....we won't know for sure until morning.

I was able to snap some more pictures of deuces & 5-tons doing what they do best. Enjoy!

WP_20170210_16_27_03_Panorama.jpgWP_20170210_16_23_03_Pro.jpgWP_20170210_17_59_03_Pro.jpgWP_20170210_17_58_45_Pro.jpgWP_20170210_17_58_40_Pro.jpgIMG_9473.jpgIMG_9467.jpgIMG_9461.jpg

Maverick1701

We had a little brush fire today on the west side of the county. The county has seen pretty heavy rainfall over the past few days which caused some issues for the only non 6x6 truck (cummins powered F750). Thankfully the 6x6 rigs performed flawlessly.

I will say that the 4x4 rig was experiencing issues with its electronic x-fer case mechanism. This is reason #274 why I don't trust (or like) electronic shift transfer cases. They ALWAYS fail at the worst time. I will always prefer a mechanical linkage over an electronic motor. This truck was the first one though the access gate (to the fire). Since the x-fer case didn't engage, the truck hit the soft dirt & the rear axle dug a nice little hole stopping all movement & blocking the access gate for all the other fire trucks.

We were able to call on a local farmer who brought a huge tractor (after farmer #2 attempted to use his tiny kubota tractor which totally failed to budge the stuck rig) which easily pulled the stuck rig out of its predicament and back to the highway.

Once the path was clear, the M35A3 & 5-ton did their thing and knocked out the remainder of the fire w/out any issues.

WP_20170416_16_33_06_Pro.jpgWP_20170416_16_01_25_Pro.jpgWP_20170416_15_53_23_Pro.jpgWP_20170416_15_53_11_Pro.jpg

Maverick1701

Unfortunately, this thread is probably going to fall into Steelsoldiers history. I left my Sheriff's Office of 7 years, moved to a "big city", and am going to be starting with Lubbock Airport Police in about a month. I doubt I'll be seeing many ex military trucks fighting fires @ the airport.

The only saving grace is that the national guard armory is on the edge of the airport property so maybe I can swing by and check out some of their rides. I have seen the vehicles from the highway and they have a pretty nice fleet. I'll be sure to post pictures if/when I can get close.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately, this thread is probably going to fall into Steelsoldiers history. I left my Sheriff's Office of 7 years, moved to a "big city", and am going to be starting with Lubbock Airport Police in about a month. I doubt I'll be seeing many ex military trucks fighting fires @ the airport.

The only saving grace is that the national guard armory is on the edge of the airport property so maybe I can swing by and check out some of their rides. I have seen the vehicles from the highway and they have a pretty nice fleet. I'll be sure to post pictures if/when I can get close.
Congratz on the new job!
May angels ride upon your shoulder.

While you're cruising around the Lubbock Airport grounds be sure to check out the SILENT WINGS (GLIDER) MUSEUM.
Here's a link to a thread I posted after Dianna and I visited the museum.
The Glider Corps were an important element of WWII operations and they do an excellent job of telling that story. Lubbock was home to some of the Army's Glider Training Program.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?132252-Silent-Wings-(GLIDER)-Museum-Lubbock-Texas

Be safe.

rustystud

I hope the move was on your terms, and not forced upon you.

Maverick1701

you should check and see, there may be one or 2 of those firefighting HEMTT's at the airport.
You can count on it. I start on 11/11. If I find anything, I'll definitely post up some pictures for us.

Congratz on the new job!
May angels ride upon your shoulder.
While you're cruising around the Lubbock Airport grounds be sure to check out the SILENT WINGS (GLIDER) MUSEUM.
Here's a link to a thread I posted after Dianna and I visited the museum.
The Glider Corps were an important element of WWII operations and they do an excellent job of telling that story. Lubbock was home to some of the Army's Glider Training Program.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?132252-Silent-Wings-(GLIDER)-Museum-Lubbock-Texas
Be safe.
I'll check out the thread when I get to a computer (my phone is pretty terrible). I have heard about the silent wings museum but haven't had the chance to check it out. I'll definitely add it to the list.

I hope the move was on your terms, and not forced upon you.
Well partially yes, and partially no. I actually left my Sheriffs Office in May after being accepted into the TX State Police (that part was on my terms). During the state police academy I blew out my shoulder (torn rotator cuff & labrium) and the Dr said I couldn't stay and play, so I had to take my toys and go home (that part was NOT on my terms). That was in June.

After a few months of physical therapy & seeing an orthopedist, I have been cleared for police work and found the airport police job. I applied a month or so ago, survived the process and I'll be starting 11/11.

Another Ahab

After a few months of physical therapy & seeing an orthopedist, I have been cleared for police work and found the airport police job. I applied a month or so ago, survived the process and I'll be starting 11/11.
That's great to hear when things work out.
Raising a glass here (it's milk, and I got cookies, too!) to your continued good fortune. :beer:

Maverick1701

I had to run up the airport to fill out some paperwork & spotted these 6X6 rigs doing some training. Once I start on the 11th I'll be able to get some close up glamour shots for all of us here on SS.

20171026_140613.jpg20171026_140609.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks