• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spotted a cannon? while getting gas for my bobbed deuce

miltruckman

I was driving back from a show Saturday and stopped by to get some diesel for my bobbed deuce and saw parked behind a gas station this cannon on a semi trailer. I went in and ask about it and they said that someone dropped off the trailer and they don't know who or why it is parked there? Looks like the real thing to me!

Anyone know what it is?

Bill

Attachments

TedG

That explains why my XM818 suddenly had power after stopping there for a rest! lol

L999here

...looks like...

That looks like one of the newer type Marine's 155MM cannon. Saw this type on Gunny's " Lock & Load ". Got some dummy's for it and would look good in front of my shop....LOL. Matter of fact...should have declared it 'salvage',backed up the 'duce and off-loaded and hauled it home. Great yard ornament....

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I presume that she's in the "transport configuration" and that when deployed the barrel would be rotated 180 degrees so that the tongue would be the stabilizer. Also "expanded" for towing to use the barrel as a counterweight, thus reducing tongue weight/loading by shifting the center of gravity over the axle. Notice that in the "compressed configuration" the muzzle hangs beyond the lunette and would prevent towing with a duece, 5-ton, or anything else with a tailgate or box overhanging the pintle hook.

These are just observations.... and presumptions... Any confirmation or counterpoints out there ? ? ? ?

Varyag

Looks like an awful silly thing to just drop off at a gas station. Isn't that a sensitive item or something? I know if an M4 is then a howie must be.

We couldn't leave our tanks anywhere without a guard if they were not on a train or in the motor pull. A guy even road in the truck if we had them low boy'd. I wonder if the guy who left it will have to have a dummy cord between him and it for a week.

goldneagle

I presume that she's in the "transport configuration" and that when deployed the barrel would be rotated 180 degrees so that the tongue would be the stabilizer. Also "expanded" for towing to use the barrel as a counterweight, thus reducing tongue weight/loading by shifting the center of gravity over the axle. Notice that in the "compressed configuration" the muzzle hangs beyond the lunette and would prevent towing with a duece, 5-ton, or anything else with a tailgate or box overhanging the pintle hook.

These are just observations.... and presumptions... Any confirmation or counterpoints out there ? ? ? ?
I wonder if the dropside Deuce can tow it with the sides down?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks