• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

$12 CUCV amp solution!

linx310

I found this on ebay and just ordered one. I was planning on putting some basic 3.5 inch speakers under my M1009s dash and then setting up a stereo unit to listen to my MP3 player. All the modern head units had to many extra features and are kind of large to install which would require mods to the vehicle.

Since my Mp3 player pics up AM/FM and has tons of songs I found this amp on ebay and the seller has a bunch of them for about $12 shipped.

I figured $12 was cheap enough to see if the unit will work.

From what it looks like I can paint it olive drab, and then add some stenciling around the knobs to make it look like the military radios do.

I don't need a massive sound system, just a basic one that I can hear some music so I figure this would work ok. And yes I am betting the specs listed are highly exaggerated.

Mini Hi-Fi Stereo Amplifier Amp mp3 iPod Motorcycle 12V

If you've a radio, MP3 or other stereo system attached to your car or motorbike, get great sound on the move with this hi-fi amplifier which is also a great option for connection to your home theater or entertainment system.

Benefits:

* MP3, iPod, CD player input jack
* 200W max power output
* Super bass on/off switch
* Low distortion
* Great for use on your vehicle or your home
* Smart, lightweight aluminium casing
* Pre-drill holes in bass for easy attachment

The amplifier is lightweight, has a matt silver casing and allows for full control of your volume, treble and bass output. It also has a jack for plugging your MP3, MP4, iPod or CD player into

Specifications:

* Output: 200W [100W + 100W]
* Jack input: 1/8" [standard stereo jack]
* Voltage: 12V
* Material: lightweight aluminum
* Dimensions: 14 x 7 x 4cm [5.5 x 3 x 1.5"]
* Brand new and boxed

UPDATE: 11/13/2010

I have test installed it...go here to read more

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/705083-post13.html

Attachments

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've purchased Chinese electronics. It won't be IN spec. But it won't be OUT of spec by much either. Call it within 5% +/- of actual stated specs. But hey, for that kind of money. And you could squirrel that away almost ANYWHERE, run your wires and attach your MP3 or 'other' input.

Great find.

Worth a gamble. Might have to drop dime on this one.

Thx.

OL AG '89

This thing puts out 100W??????
After one of you buy it, hook it up to an O scope, I'm curious to see how "clean" the output power is.
I know the MOSFET amp is a good power source, but am curious about the small size and extreme heat build up at that wattage.
I was going to mount Amps in place of radios in M1009, build a rack to resemble radio mounting, but put a couple of Amps there instead.
this thing would save alot of build time, and give a cleaner more original looking interior

And yes the price is right, but $12 bucks is $12 bucks.... could buy a couple gallons of fuel with it.....

Last edited:

usafe7ret

I have a similar one on both of my maxi scooters. They work extremely well and I've never had a problem with them. They have enough power to crank up the MP3 players we use and it delivers clean sound over the wind noise.

I have mounted the mp3 players so that they are easily removed and accessed so we can turn the volume down while at a stop sign or light.

For the money, you get a nice compact amp that is easy to install and connect.

dstang97

I don't understand why you need an amp. Almost all cd players put out ~50 watts which is plenty to hook up 4 speakers and get sound out of them. Maybe I'm missing something?

wikallen

I don't understand why you need an amp. Almost all cd players put out ~50 watts which is plenty to hook up 4 speakers and get sound out of them. Maybe I'm missing something?

He is not going to put in a head unit, because he does not want to cut up the dash to put a single din unit in place. He is going to use a tiny portable mp3 unit, and paint the amp to blend with the truck.

panama

I'm with Linx...who needs a radio/cd player...a little amp like this, some speakers and an MP3 player and you are ROCK AND ROLL!! It's a great idea...I'm gonna jump on this band wagon too!

MudderMilitia

Alright, so I'm a total noob when it comes to wiring and radios. How are you planning on wiring this into your truck? It looks like it has a single plug that would go to a wall outlet? Also Since there are only two outputs, does that mean you are limited to only 2 speakers? I would love to use this as I want something small that can be hidden. I was going to put two speakers int he factory location in the dash. Then I wanted to mount two speakers in ammo cans with one on each rear wheel well.

GreyCoyote

Please let me know if that amp unit works reliably. I noticed there was a similar unit by the same Chinese company touting a 550W supply and looking like it had a better power switch as well. That would certainly be a cheaper solution to getting some tunes in my M1009.

papercu

Have you see ANY of the recalls of Chinese products?
Most likely you will get something without any UL label, meaning it has never been tested for substandard/undersize wiring, very poor connections and/or shoddy soldering, toxic insulation and paint.
There was just a news story about this today.
You would risk burning up your truck and maybe even harming you or your children to save a few bucks?
Good luck, Wayne

linx310

Well I test installed it today.

Yes I know the speakers are installed weird in the brackets...I had to lower them to get them to fit under the console and I have not bolted them down yet.

Here is a video of it running at about 2/3 volume.

I don't care if you hate the music...your opinions on whats good music doesn't matter to me...hehe

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUWhaqMSAgU[/media]

Attachments

tagjeep

Is it made for 12 volts or 110?
Sad but true not a bad song, but I like their earlier stuff.
Sorry, just saw the 12 volt on the 1st page.
Did the wire come with it, or did you split a wire to hook up to 12v?

Last edited:

Cucvnut

cool man! i just bought a MB quart amp for the M1008. yours is a cool idea sounds good but i have to have an Deck and a EQ :)

• [*]4 x 60 Watt A/B Stereo Amp
    [*]Exquistie Onyx heat sink desing
    [*]Variable Low Pass, High Pass, Band pass
    [*]Illuminated MB Quart logo
    [*]System Diagnostics

Attachments

scoutdoors1000

I bought a similar unit for my 1009. Good unit. The one I have is the unit with the radio. Reception stinks. It is not bad on the open road but in hilly philly I cannot pick up much on the radio. Does have a port that I can hook up a MP3 player through. Puts out enough sound through it but not optimal. No On off switch. Get bleed through from the radio if I turn it to the MP3 setting as my off switch. Has a lot of flashing lights which can get annoying at night.

That said, it is a good unit for the money. Did what i wanted the whole drive from Saint louis to Philly. Worked great with the MP3 player and pumps out enough juice to the front speakers to overcome my whistling Sh*t can noises.

colelkhunter

that looks like a good idea. I used an aircraft intercom ran into a Clark headset. when I plu my iphone into it, it doubles as a hands free. Looks kinda goofy riding down the road with a aviation headset on, but for a deuce it is the only way to go. I may have to try this amp in my 1031.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks