• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

*Big changes coming to CARC paint*

Nonotagain

I received E-mail from one of my paint suppliers, that CARC paint is being changed to discontinue the type 1 coating. What does this mean to you?

CARC paint is manufactured to a couple of different "types". Type 1 uses silica or organic clay as flatteners. Type 2 uses polymeric beads as a flattener.

I called a couple of my contacts at the Army Research Lab at Aberdeen Proving Grounds since I wanted to hear directly from them as to what was being changed and why.

ARL has been studying the durability of the various coatings types and finalized their findings. The type 1 coating is no longer going to be available after November 2010.

ARL found that the type 1 coatings fade much faster than the type 2 coatings and the type 2 coatings showed better corrosion resistance due to the coating binders being able to completely encapsulate the flattening agent, in this case, very small beads.

So what does this mean to you? The price of CARC coatings is going to be going up. If you need CARC, purchase it before November 2010 or be prepared to only be able to purchase the type 2 materials.

I can post the letter from ARL on Monday for anyone that wants to read for themselves.

Carc changing

yeah where i work they have already changed to the single componet i think its a postive all the guys that i work with say they like it of course here in nc we have humidity and thats a major player in how the paint sprays not sure how the public version is but sherwin williams got booted and we now use a diffrent company due to paint failures across the board

Nonotagain

There are currently two specifications available for CARC paint.

Mil-Dtl-53039 which is the single component version, which is solvent based.

Mil-Dtl-64159 which is a plural component version which is water dispersible.

Both versons will continue to be available for now, however in the next year or so, the single component version will also be discontinued due to being solvent based.

The Army Research Lab tests every batch of CARC paint before it can be sold. All manufacturers have to submit a sample of each batch for testing. Only after submission to ARL for testing and passed thru their test lab can that batch be sold.

flyxpl

Is type to available yet ? Although type one may be cheaper , if it is inferior to type 2 I would rather pay more for the better product . After spending a lot of time getting ready to paint why put on the paint that has been proven to have problems . Any info or links to get the type 2 would be appreciated .
Thanks ,
Joe

Nonotagain

Type 1 and type 2 are available in both specifications.

After November, the Army Research Lab will no longer be issuing lot acceptance numbers for the type 1 product, and as such can't be used on government contracts since the qualified products list will no longer have the type listed.

Here is a copy of Mil-Dtl-53039 and Mil-Dtl-64159 specifications. Both of these are in the public domain. These are not the latest version.

I can't post the current specification due to licensing and copyright restrictions.

defensepainter

There was an update that the ARL sent out on 5 OCT. basically delaying the initial removal of Type I Silica based CARCs until Q1 2011.

Combatmech: Type III is available in 3K Waterborne (mix) and a new 1K Solvent borne (supposed to be cats a$$) which is pour and shoot.

Some OEMs like Oshkosh removed Type II from their specs completely.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
what is the big deal with CARC? i just go to nyquist and have them mix to match whatever color i want in 2 part urethane. with enough flattener it looks the same to me. after it is on you can use 2+2 gumcutter and brakekleen on it with impunity.

tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks