• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I Bought a Mog

saddamsnightmare

December 23rd, 2012.

FM5332FF:

Beware of the conversion adapter piece for the civillian distributor cap (EG-the aluminum or steel spacer that goes on top of the lower distributor body), some of these were index drilled wrong and if you fit the unit to the truck, you will be either too far advanced or retarded, and the truck won't run right. Ask me how I know about this one....? The Pertronix module does improve the S404.114, but I would advise carrying a spare, as they have been known to fail, and the average auto parts place doesn't carry them (again, ask me how I know). Also, my experience is that you will want to hold the Unimog to fifty or below on long road trips, as neither the transmission nor the truck likes to go all that fast, and they have the aerodynamics of a well designed brick.

Likely you will be replacing all the rubber components just due to age related deterioration. Interesting conversion to propane, I have yet to figure out the reasoning behind it, but the off roaders seem to like it. We had a dual fuel pickup in Texas, that could run either gas or propane, but the propane was dear and the truck did not seem to develop as much power per pound or gallon as with the gasoline engine set up. Probably a good Mercedes Benz or Deutz diesel would do as much for the truck in terms of off road use. I have found that a well adjusted 32NDIX will get me about 18 MPG on the road if I don't try to drag race, but because the Unimog is so agile, a regular carb cannot funtion well in the truck.

Personally, I am very fond of the Unimog S404.114, sure, I'd love to have a U1300L, but compared to driving what passes for FWD pickups in the states versus the Unimog, I'll take the Unimog hands down for off road and even on road handling.

Have a good time with the truck,

and,

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year's!:beer:

Last edited:

scottgs

Yes indeed. In my humble opinion, the 416 (U1100) is beyond any question or doubt, amongst the pinnacle of the finest 4x4's to ever set tires on this earth. I can take all my wonderful feelings for every 4x4 I've ever had, add them all up, and it doesn't equal my respect for this truck. The most reliable and capable there is, or ever will be.

If only it would go more than 54.3 miles an hour.

Garret

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks