• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Fan Clutch?

houdel

Has anyone ever seen/used a fan clutch for a Deuce? Any engine cooling fan is a major source of noise and a power hog as well, that is why most modern vehicles use either a clutching fan or an electric fan behind the radiator.

As overcooled as most Deuces are, would it be practical to remove the fan completely, or as an alternative remove the fan and install a themostatically controlled electric fan? Many larger cars use use a dual fan set-up, it wouldn't be too hard to wire the motors in series to run on 24V.

Does this sound practical, or am I just blowing hot air (pun intended)?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's been one of my back burner project for years. One problem is space, if the original fan is replaced, the space between the hub and the radiator is only like 2 inches in the center.
I thought of installing 4 ea smaller fans around the center, which should work.
A second problem is the electrical, the fans draw a fair amount of juice and you would need at least a 60 amp alternator to power them (it). I still run the original 25 amp generator/regulator set up, which is plenty for my current (no pun intended :)) needs.
Radiator shutters would be nice too, well you have seen my intermediate custom plywood cover, I'm sure.

PS. Lee, it looks like you are finding all the things I have worked on over the years, the last I noticed from you was the low air intermittent beeper. I'm curious to see what's next on your to do list. :)

steelandcanvas

I know this is an old thread, but I was searching for clutch fans and this came up. Did anything ever come of this? Anymore research done? Sure would like to free up some HP's with a clutch fan.

jwaller

nobody to my knowledge has done a clutch. the elec fan works and it's easier and I believe more reliable. it's also on my future wish list of things to do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks