• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

52' M35A2C bobbed build thread

DFD2010-A

Just posting a thread to follow the build of my newly purchased M35A2C..

Before going any further I want to give a big thanks to Gimp (Gimpyrob) and Kip (Kipman) for everything they did helping me get my new rig. Gimp was a huge help in letting me look the truck over and passing along all of the history associated with the truck, good,bad and indifferent. Kip not only sent me on my way but made sure that the truck was road ready and piled my passenger seat with all kinds of goodies! Thank you to the both of you, and anyone that needs assistance with anything to do with these trucks, I highly recommend those two as they are a invaluable resource. :beer:

Now on to the truck.....
It is a 52' AM General M35A2C, came with the heater kit, spring seat, air shift diff, 55k on the odometer and recent injection pump, alternator, transfer case and brake work. I hammered out a deal with Kip and Gimp that I wasn't interested in the drop side bed that was on the truck (due to my plans) so they offed it before my arrival. The truck made a flawless 2 1/2 hour trip back home and now the fun begins....

Dropped it off this morning to my 4x4 shop here in Dayton, after getting my hands on a 105 bed and a set of front springs from a parted out deuce. I'll start off with a few pics of the truck as it left the driveway this morning, and will keep updating as progress is made.

Attachments

Last edited:

DFD2010-A

hah sorry for the let down, no it is titled as a 1952 model year with a matching vin. Granted I know that may not always be correct, but it sounds cool regardless.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a 52' American General M35A2C
I assume you mean AM General. American General is a insurance company and never did build military trucks. :wink:

If It is infact a 1952 model it's not a AM General. AM general wasn't around until the early 70s. It may be a 1952 or a AM General but it can't be both.

DFD2010-A

@ Rayzer, haha good point I'm not sure didn't see that till just now...and Thanks!!

@M16ty, yes I meant "AM" that was the magic of auto-correct spelling on my Droid, and interesting point...will have to do some looking in to that. Hopefully the state doesn't know what you know because in that case the title isn't true.

@harleyrkc, he has done over two dozen deuces...some bobbed, some just chopped up for off-road use. He owns and operates two professional monster trucks and the frames for their first trucks (way back when) were M35's. Also, one of the sponsors for his trucks is Boyce Equipment, so that helps!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wow Mat, they aren't cutting you ANY slack are they? I told him he needed 1400s on it as a shorty, but he likes the 1100r20s. What do you all think?

:cool:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who runs this 4x4 shop in Dayton? Hmm, my old stomping grounds. Truck look nice and dealing with Gimpy is a +.

Edit; Nevermind, I figured out who's shop it is! Good luck!

Last edited:

Blythewoodjoe

I told him he needed 1400s on it as a shorty, but he likes the 1100r20s. What do you all think?

I would give it one week. I put 11.00 XL's on my first bob. The fenders look so empty. 14.5 or 395's would be nice. I won't put 14.00's on another one. I can't find any that are not old and rotted.

DFD2010-A

@Recovry4x4...yep its Bobby Holman, owns Team Beast 4x4. They're up in North Dayton just off Needmore Rd. He built up my 07' Silverado and various other projects for me in the past so only appropriate to task him with this one..I'll attach a picture of my Silverado.

@Gimp, your killin' me man! Alright I'll look around for other options, can you find me some 1400s then?

Attachments

asgtoolman

Wow Mat, they aren't cutting you ANY slack are they? I told him he needed 1400s on it as a shorty, but he likes the 1100r20s. What do you all think?

I vote 1400's; but please cut all of us newbies a little slack; we're not into all the terminology and don't yet have the experience of our higher ranking members on this site. We're trying and learning EVERY day

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'll see what I can come up with. IN FACT, I should be getting some re-centered Hemtt rims next week. If you want you can try my new 395s on these rims on your truck just to "see" if you like them. Not many people get to put MY new rims/tires on their rigs before I do.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DFD2010-A;661335 @M16ty said:
I bought a truck one time that was titled as a 1971 REO. It was accually a 1952 . I told them at the DMV that the title was wrong so they changed it when they transfered it to me to make the title correct. Of course this was in TN so Ohio may not do this. I wouldn't say anything if you think it's going to cause you problems though.

You can post your VIN info here and find out what year it really is- http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/45889-2010-vin-info-thread.html . Just be sure you read the first post and follow the directions.

DFD2010-A

I saw that 2010 VIN info thread, unfortunately the only info I really have on the truck is the VIN, as I personally didn't recover it...I'll post with what I have and see what I can come up with. Chris, if you wouldn't mind letting me do that, I would appreciate it! We'll have to see the progress of the truck when that time comes it could still be in the shop. Just give me a call.

DFD2010-A

Still waiting to see if I can get any info back on the truck but in the mean time here are some pics of it sitting up at the shop. As I was snapping these he was rolling out the torch getting ready to start cutting, I'm going back up tomorrow to get some more progress pics, will update then. :beer:

Attachments

DFD2010-A

Update time....

Went up to the shop today, he said they've made a little headway this week but he's been busy with monster truck shows and media coming out to take pictures of the trucks. So far he's got the 2nd of the tandems off and got all of the measurements down for the location of the springs, where he's cutting the frame and the location of the bed. His drive shaft guy came out and took measurements for the new one since we added about 5 1/2" to the wheel base and we went over his thoughts on adding some tubular steel sections to bump up the height of the bed a little bit instead of just sitting it on the frame...anyway here are some photos, I'll be back up there Tuesday or Wednesday of next week to get more pics. Should be done within a week or two! Then she'll be ready for paint and tires.:grd:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks