• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"recommend buyer screen prior to placing bid" ???

Makincold

Ok so I'm kind of new to all this GL secret code stuff like " starts and runs"
So I'm looking at M1009's and find this quote

"recommend buyer screen prior to placing bid, 24 hr notice prior to removal."

So is this some GL secret code?
Or are they really trying help a fellow out...

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In other words, don't bid or buy something without actually going and physically looking at it. Pictures don't tell the whole story and most of the descriptions in the auction verbage are put there by someone who knows nothing about the item. If at all possible, YOU go or have someone here who is close go look at the item you are interested in.

AceHigh

It is always wise to preview but...

even with that clause in the lot, you may or may not be able to schedule a preview. Lots of the GL field staff are great and cooperative, but most are overworked and some are, well, you know. rofl

Even if you do preview you are limited to what you can do. This ain't Abe's Honest Used Cars. No driving, some allow starting and so on.

Chief_919

It is thier way of making it more difficult to refuse a pickup based on a bad description or the wrong pictures.

Government Liquidation is notorious for using the wrong pictures on a lot or describing it wrong- because many of the folks are lazy or don't care. That truck with what looks like a brand new engine- that engine could be in any truck.

It is easier for them to add a clause saying they reccomend you preview, then blame you for not doing it when what you get does not match the picture or description, than it is to actually do their jobs correctly.

That said- it is always good advice to preview in person. I bid blind sometimes, but when I do I always bid a lot lower to allow for the risk.

goldneagle

I am 3 times lucky on MVs. Bought 3 different trucks at different times without preview and all three drove home! All 3 states "does not start". All 3 just had dead batteries and fired up easily with a jump from a running truck. last 2 trucks had at least 1/2 tank of fuel in them too! Conditions can be different based on location and LUCK! I know some bases they drain all fluids from the vehicles so it would not be an easy pickup like mine!

Attachments

cleb

ALWAYS INSPECT! I bought 2 M35A2's without inspecting, and both turned out OK. I bought an M818, with barely looking at (walked by on the lot), and it ended up having a bad clutch, leaking IP, bad radiator, some rust, etc. It pays to go and do a good inspection before bidding. It works out sometimes to buy without inspecting, and sometimes it bites you.

goldneagle

ALWAYS INSPECT! I bought 2 M35A2's without inspecting, and both turned out OK. I bought an M818, with barely looking at (walked by on the lot), and it ended up having a bad clutch, leaking IP, bad radiator, some rust, etc. It pays to go and do a good inspection before bidding. It works out sometimes to buy without inspecting, and sometimes it bites you.
On most bases they don't want you to run the trucks. How can you tell you have a bad clutch, leaking IP, bad radiator if you can't run the truck! So at the end all the inspection will do is verify if there are missing parts, body damage and rust issues. Not the functionality of the vehicle.

I paid 1.65% of the original cost of my latest truck! The fact it had 6 new tires, almost new engine is a bonus! Can't beat it for the prices we pick them up for!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To me "recommend buyer screen" is GL secret code (by a helpful site manager) for, "this thing is a POS and you will be disappointed if you think it is a creampuff".

cleb

On most bases they don't want you to run the trucks. How can you tell you have a bad clutch, leaking IP, bad radiator if you can't run the truck! So at the end all the inspection will do is verify if there are missing parts, body damage and rust issues. Not the functionality of the vehicle.

I paid 1.65% of the original cost of my latest truck! The fact it had 6 new tires, almost new engine is a bonus! Can't beat it for the prices we pick them up for!
Clutch didn't feel normal at all, so if someone was mechanically inclined they would have been able to tell without running it. Radiator was hit by a forklift, and was visible had I taken another 2 minutes to actually walk around the whole truck. Burp tank was empty, and it had no engine oil. It was 100% my fault for not taking a closer look at it, but my point was that IF I had taken a closer look, I probably would have avoided that truck. You are absolutely correct that some of these issues wouldn't have surfaced until after I got it. But a lot of the major issues ($500 radiator and $800 clutch), which both prevented the truck from being driven off the lot, could have been avoided if I had taken a closer look. I have inspected multiple vehicles for out of state purchasers where the truck had mechanical issues they were not aware of...Leaking wheel seals, no fluids, bad tires, engine oil leaks, no brakes.

Some sites will let you start, and will even slave trucks for you. It depends on the site, how well they know you, and your attitude.

I agree about the price. I got my first Deuce for $1800, and its been a great truck. None the less, its a gamble.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
One of the reasons I only buy vehicles from GL Redstone is that they are very good at letting you preview.

If a truck won't start they will try to slave it off.

They will also let you drive it forward and backward in the spot it is sitting in.

That will at least let you know if the brakes will release, brakes work and that it is a "runner" (engine and tranny operates).

I have bought many vehicles from GL and only my M816 wrecker had a bad engine.....I bought it out of Camp Shelby and did not preview it.....my fault.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks