• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct Belts for M1008 and M1009

zyrtecx

Below is a list of the CORRECT Belts for a M1008 and M1009, I recovered a M1009 at Fort Bragg and all of the belts were on it and appeared to be a PERFECT fit with the belts numbers still on the belts and to be a perfect fit in all pulleys.
I cross referenced the numbers to Gates Belts and got a set from the local NAPA parts store and installed them on my M1008 and they are a PERFECT FIT with no more belt squealing and the belts fit perfectly in the pulleys. The power steering belt is a little trickey to get installed due to the pulley being smaller that all other pulleys and having to go over the big pulley to get to the small power steering pulley. I just took the power steering pump completely off and installed this belt with the pump loose, then just bolted the pump back in place and tightened the belt with a crow bar from underneath then tightened the other three attaching points of the power steering pump.
I was tired and everyone posting different belts number and not of them seem to be correct... Now I'm Happy and maybe the belt problem with be resolved!:jumpin:

See list below...

These are the belt#'s taken from a M1009 recovered from Fort Bragg in Sept 2010.

Power Steering - Gates 8453 (cancelled #)
Gates 7450

Angle 36
Effective Length 45
Outside Circumference 45.58
Top Width 10mm

Rightt Alt - 48513 - 10A1230
Gates 7485

Angle 36
Effective Length 48.5
Outside Circumference 49.08
Top Width 10mm

Leftf Alt - 57515 - 11A1460
Gates 7575

Angle 36
Effective Length 57.5
Outside Circumference 58.8
Top Width 10mm

badassissimo

Really needed this. Been to Oreillys twice already. Will have correct belt in the morning. I'm assuming that right is driver and left is passenger. Doesn't matter too much, the measurements say it all. Do you maybe have a picture of the belts in place? Not sure what the pattern is. I guessed by looking from the side and a photo of someone's setup. I think the belt to the driver alternator goes around fan, power steering, and return. Does it also go arounnd the lower wheel (crank I think)?

Nick

badassissimo

belt numbers

Ok, I'm not going to say that they're wrong because my truck probably doesn't have all stock parts. I say this because of the missing parts when I got it. The numbers I found and were able to use were 7490 for the passenger alt, 7580 for the driver alt (around crank, pwr str, fan, and alt), and then 7485 for the pwr string pump. the Ruston, LA Oreillys staff will let you know that I have done the trial and error on this. If anyone can tell me if I didd the driver alt belt correctly, that would be much appreciated because I don't want to just burn one up if it isn't done right. Thanks.

Nick

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used the belt numbers found in the parts cross reference, on the old SS site(link at the top left of this page.(to old site).

They fit fine.

badassissimo

I'll have to register to find which one's they are... Sometime today. Got a bigger problem according to a diagram, my driver generator fits to pull through the first channel instead of the second channel so the pulley belt may be wrong anyway. According to the diagram, my setup is that of a m1010 rather than m1009. I don't know why and I need to try and get that solved before I crank or maybe a belt will burn up.

Nick

badassissimo

Well... crap. Now I'm certain the parts are all mixed. My parts won't allow the 7575 or the 7448. They won't fit at all because they are too too small even with the brackets all the way loosened. From what I can tell in a diagram someone brought up out of the tm manual on a thread I started about my problem, I have brackets and pulleys for a m1010. Here is a picture with the belt numbers that finally fit after 6 trips to oreillys. Thank God I live only about 5 miles away from them and they have let me try and trade all that didn't fit.

Nick

Attachments

zyrtecx

The belt numbers I found WIKI are not the right size for my CUCV's which are ALL Original... I tryed the belt numbers in the WIKI and they in my Option are not the correct belts for a Original M1008 and M1009... I had purchased and traveled back and forth to the parts store trying belts until I was tired of this... I have installed the belts that I have listed and they do FIT in the correct fashion...

zyrtecx

My belts don't fit like that on the posted photo of the M1010...

Starting from closet to the engine is the power steering pump, small pulley on the pump and then to the small pulley on the water pump.
Next, the left (drivers side) alternator to water pump pulley and crankshaft.
Next, the right (passenger side) alternator to water pump pulley and crankshaft.

This is correct position for the belts on an M1008 and M1009...

1stSarge

Well, maybe its just me, but the 57” and the 58” recommended in the Wiki were way too long for me. The 57” went on with the alt and PS all the way out. A 56” went on with both adjusting to the center.

badassissimo

I don't know what to think about it zyrtecx. Here are all the photos of my setup that I put on the thread I started.

Attachments

1stSarge

Picture 0017 shows all the belts from the side having no problem lining up.
From your first picture, you can see what I am talking about. You have no adjustment left on the driver side alternator, its all the way to the right. If it stretches, (assuming its brand new) there is nothing you can do unless you can get a little more out of the ps pump adjustment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks