• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct Belts for M1008 and M1009

Cucvnut

seems like for some reason everyone's alts have diff pulleys on them them i have 4 alts for my truck and all of them have a diff size pulley. so that might be why the belts are not a perfect fit for everyone

rnd-motorsports

Looking at the pic's you should be fine with the belts you have. The drive pully all the groves are the same I mean no step in size and the water pump pully the same so you will be fine I agreed with the alt belt on driver side would have went with one shorter just becouse belts do strech and you are at the end of adjustment. you will be fine with what you have! Good job!!:beer:

rnd-motorsports

Sorry one more thing Yes at some time somebody either changed the engine or the pulleys as they are not what should be on your 1009 not a problem will work just not what it was built with! :driver: you have the fan for that water pump ? if so you are good to go!!!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know what to think about it zyrtecx. Here are all the photos of my setup that I put on the thread I started.

You have the incorrect pullies for the cranks shaft and waterpump. They look like M1010 pullies on a M1008/M1009 setup.

The belts you have will work, just not factory. You can either change out the pullies or run with what you have.

badassissimo

I'm going to stay then because I've already been to Oreillys enough for the customers to know my name... lol...

RND - motorsport, did you see the one picture for the steering pump? It looks like different diameter on both those channels. Looks like the one to the outside is maybe 3/4" wider. Not sure where I can even find a pully. Wasn't hoping to buy a power steering pump either but I think I know where to go if I do.

rnd-motorsports

Yes sorry i missed that it will not work that way becouse you are trying to turn it two dif. speeds and will burn up the alt belt. loosest so that will have to be changed. you will need to find a two grove power steering pully that has both groves the same size and change it. that would be the easyest fix. the other opsion would be find the correct crank and water pump pulleys and I think ( sombody will say yes or no ) you will need to change the waterpump to put the correct pulleys on it. I would find a two grove pulley for power steering and swap it with the groves being the same. SORRY I MISSED THAT!!!!!:oops:

badassissimo

Okay since I screwed up did some looking and here is a link to the pulley you need you may be able to get on from a part store that sells dorman but here is the link. Hope this is not against the rules!! Dorman POWER STEERING PUMP PULLEY gmc K1500 SUBURBAN: eBay Motors (item 230521811194 end time Oct-04-10 23:43:52 PDT)

again sorry for missing that!!!
I thank you just the same. I am kind of confused now though. Should I buy that pulley and put on the pwr steering pump or continue to find the correct water pump pulley? Either will fix the problem. A closer to stock water pump pulley might be better in the future though. I'll measure the pulley on my truck in the morning. I wish I could see how it mounts on the power steering pump to know if it will mount the same as the one on the truck now. would hate to have a difference in bolt pattern when it comes in the mail. lol.

Nick

CycleJay

Hi guys,

This thread has me totally concerned, since I now need to replace my Gen 2 Pass side ALT belt.
Which gates # belt should I use? the 7485 or 7483..

This photo shows the gen 2 pass side alt on an M1008, but on my M1009, my pass side ALT looks exactly
like the one in this photo.

Any information would be appreciated. As I do not have time to make repeated trips to the auto store.

Thank you,

CJ

Attachments

zyrtecx

CycleJay. I would use the following belt as listed on Page !...
See Page 1 and the 1st message...

Left Alt - 57515 - 11A1460
Gates 7575

Angle 36
Effective Length 57.5
Outside Circumference 58.8
Top Width 10mm

rnd-motorsports

Evary body that is reading this post and getting confused this has nothing to do with your cucv badassissimo is the only one this refers to becouse his had the pulleys changed!!!!!!!! and to your last ques. badassissimo my 2cents If you want to put truck back to the way it should be then yes get the waterpump and pulley the crank pulley and then the correct belts and the fan to fit the correct waterpump! if you do not care about it being stock as it was new then buy the power steering pump pulley change it (just the pulley not the pump) and use every thing you already have you didn't say rather you had the fan? the pulley is pressed on. Here parts stores will let you use there puller to change it if you get the pulley from them If you have a part store that can get Dorman then ask for a powersteering pulley for a 81-83 chevy suburban with a 350 WITH AIRCONDITION It fit many more but that is the one ap I know for sure. that will be the correct pulley to fix your problem! or the one in the link I posted yesterday! :beer:

badassissimo

Hi guys,

This thread has me totally concerned, since I now need to replace my Gen 2 Pass side ALT belt.
Which gates # belt should I use? the 7485 or 7483..

This photo shows the gen 2 pass side alt on an M1008, but on my M1009, my pass side ALT looks exactly
like the one in this photo.

Any information would be appreciated. As I do not have time to make repeated trips to the auto store.

Thank you,

CJ
I'm going to say the 7483 will do it. I think it would have fit on mine if I wasn't grabbing at numbers by the time my setup was complete. I imagine that if I get the correct water pump pulley, I'll use the 7575 just like the wiki suggested.

Nick

CycleJay

Zyrtecx,

I thought the left alt was the drivers side alt. And that alt is Gen 1.
I need the belt for the passenger side alt, gen 2. And the correct belt for that is the 7575?

Thank you

CJ

zyrtecx

CycleJay Here it is:

Power Steering - Gates 8453 (cancelled #)
Gates 7450

Angle 36
Effective Length 45
Outside Circumference 45.58
Top Width 10mm

Rightt Alt - 48513 - 10A1230
Gates 7485

Angle 36
Effective Length 48.5
Outside Circumference 49.08
Top Width 10mm

Leftf Alt - 57515 - 11A1460
Gates 7575

Angle 36
Effective Length 57.5
Outside Circumference 58.8
Top Width 10mm

CycleJay

Hello Zyrtecx,

Thank you for the info. I will keep that in mind when I go to the parts store.
Hope I end up with a belt that fits. LOL

Have a good day,

CJ

Seabee15

So just to get this right, if you have what you believe is a stock m1008/m1009, the belts listed in the wiki will work?? I've been reading this thread throughly, and searching through this forum and its hard to get an exact straight answer....Sorry if its already been answered...

as they say in the seabee's, they pay me to build and fight, not read and write! (just kidding)

Hoolio

I've found that belt life under the hood of a CUCV are short as best.. Does anyone know of 1/2" belts and pulleys for this application ?? These 7/16 belts just are not cuttin' it.. I have cleaned pulleys and tried different brand of belts.. They just don't last.. I've had the truck [M1031] for 4 years now and have changed the belts a minimum of 2 times per year and countless tightenings.. Thanks , Roy Suomi

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks