• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saw an air braked M35a2 yesterday

Trango

I was at an auction and saw a fully-airbraked M35a2. Bidding went over my level, but I got tons of pics. The conversion included full cans on all axles (including maxis on the rearmost bogie), replacement backing plates (bolted on in the rear), and deleted the transfer case ebrake (since the rears already had maxis, I'd guess). Looked to be S-cam because it had slack adjusters etc (I'm not familiar with what wedge type brakes look like).

This was a fire truck owned by a local municipality.

Any interest in pics?

Anyone have any ideas on who might have created this conversion?

Best,
Bob

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I gotta ask, what did the truck go for? Memphis has the kits for a 5 ton and they are stupid expensive.:(

Trango

That's an idea, but it's the extraordinarily rare auction that allows access to the original purchaser or outfitter of a piece of equipment.

Trango

So I gotta ask, what did the truck go for? Memphis has the kits for a 5 ton and they are stupid expensive.:(
I happen to have one of those Memphis kits for the 5 ton, on axles. :)

It's for rears only, though. My challenge will be to fabricate the pieces to make it "front axle compatible".

Seeing this setup, though, really helped me out. I also got the buyer's contact details.

I'd say that it's possible I'll buy this truck one day from him.

lacoda56

I don't know why the military hung onto the air over hydraulic crap, but whoever was responsible for it oughta be dragged out and shot! Air brakes are like a thousand times easier to maintain and operate, plus with maxi's on both rears, you know it's gonna stay where you parked it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks