• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cat to allison trnny swap in a m916 or m920

86m1028

Has anyone put a allison 5 speed from the m915A1's in a m916 or m920.

Im wondering about the pto for the winch.

Is the ally an improvement or the cat auto ?

Hammer

Considering that they are ROAD tractors, not a tactical truck, road speed IS important.
Besides, they only revamped to the auto transmissions at a later date, so road speeds where all around.

I just do not like running a truck at the rated rpm just to try and keep up with traffic. Kills the fuel mileage, runs the engine raged, and it just uncalled for.
That NTC 400 should be able to purr along at 1600 to 1800 rpm.
Heck, the newer ones like running at 1250 rpm!

Starting to think that regearing the axles is the best choice for a 920... Hate to loose the low gearing though. Would much rather have the double overdrive.
If that allison 7 speed is a double overdrive though, that would make it a NICE setup!

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recently, there were some M916s with the Allison transmission on GL. I don't know if that is a M916A1, or just something that the Army did at some point.

Hammer

The m916A1s that I saw on GL were not the push button auto.
Which makes them the 5 speed Allison, right?
They should have the Detroit 60 series to be a true A1 variant (at least I think that was the big change for the 916.... )

StreetbikeDepot

Considering that they are ROAD tractors, not a tactical truck, road speed IS important.
Besides, they only revamped to the auto transmissions at a later date, so road speeds where all around.

I just do not like running a truck at the rated rpm just to try and keep up with traffic. Kills the fuel mileage, runs the engine raged, and it just uncalled for.
That NTC 400 should be able to purr along at 1600 to 1800 rpm.
Heck, the newer ones like running at 1250 rpm!

Starting to think that regearing the axles is the best choice for a 920... Hate to loose the low gearing though. Would much rather have the double overdrive.
If that allison 7 speed is a double overdrive though, that would make it a NICE setup!
Could not have said it better myself, I have a M915 with a CAT and it'll run @ 75mph flat out governed at 2100 and at 65mph its around 1700-1800 rpm which is really nice. I rode in my buddies M915A1 the other day and although its quick on the take-off it felt like I was in a deuce running down the road; holding it on the governer to get 60-62 mph out of it, that can't be good on fuel mileage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks