• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I finally got a mule.

Aurora

Nice looking mule. I was at the show on Sunday. I didn't buy anything but it was still fun. I look forward to seeing your project done.

gunboy1656

We had a looong day out there on Saturday, actually made it back to get the mule after the show closed to get the mule home. Was kinda interesting to see the show, and how different things were after it was done for the day.

Since it was just me and my dad, I was half tempted to take out the rest on Sunday.

asgtoolman

i think mules are a little overpriced but there still awesome lol
:grd:

Price is based on availability and rarity; SUPPOSEDLY only 5-6,000 returned from Vietnam, and SO many of those have been BUTCHERED or used for target range practice.
It's amazing what some people have done to them in their quest to make them into some type of hunting vehicle, log [firewood] carrier, or general off-road vehicle when they are perfectly capable to do these things in "stock" form.
BTW, if yours is not 4 wheel steer, that should be one of your FIRST upgrades---there is NO comparison!!!

FrankUSMC

It is the one military vehicle I use around here for just moving stuff around. The great thing about the mule is that it can be moved to a location on a small trailer. At a show, you can ride around now to get your parts, at the airshow, just jump on it to go to the Porta John.
You will find yourself useing the mule more than the rest of the herd.
Gunboy, this week end I will get you a photo of my mule with the M2 mounted on it.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

triggertime

Was the spare motor a NOS? and I have to ask how much for the spare motor. Looks great I am curretly fixing mine up (m274a2) that I recently picked up. I can't wait to get it rolling on its own power. Alot of little things get beat up them.

gunboy1656

Mine is an M274a2 as well, 4 wheel steer.

triggertime, it is a new motor. he was selling them for 500 a piece, but gave us a deal since we bought it with the mule.

I got the electronic copy of the TM's from Google books, the operators, direct support and organizational support manuals. Been spending quite a bit of time over on g503, and learned a lot about how to fix this thing.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
im sorry to say thats a Gen set motor not a mule motor :(

and gratz on the mule welcome to the club :) if you need parts send me a pm i prob got some hard to find items :)

Last edited:

gunboy1656

From what I was told the parts interchange.

Thanks mulemac, will keep you in mind. I think right now we have, or will be getting shipped, all the parts needed for it.

Was going to go over to my dads tonight to play with it, but family stuff has got in the way so maybe Saturday.

gunboy1656

Well I went over to my dad's to work on the mule. On today's agenda, get rid of the lights, measure and get a belt for the alternator, re-align the alternator, remove the rubber mat on the bed to inspect the bed better, and loosen up the support bar for the steering wheel. And if possible take it for a quick spin, since neither one of us had driven one before.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED for today. :-D We did everything we wanted to, plus hit walmart due to a nail in the truck tire. :cry:

I got a bunch of pics, cause I know the people on here need to see them. found there are some data plates, a stencil of NC ARNG 2m27 on the deck in the rear, by drivers seat it has the tire pressure stencil.

Couple questions I have:

First, when driving this think, it tends to want to drift left or right, is that due to the 4 wheel steer?

Second, when shifting gears it has a loud THUD,is this normal, or something a miss?

Attachments

asgtoolman

Mine does neither of the things you are describing; the steering/drive knuckles are built to recenter themselves [the top pivot is slightly inboard of the bottom one] HOWEVER these vehicles are short and wheelbase even shorter so they are kinda squirrely feeling at speed, but that does not seem to be what you are describing. You need to check your alignment possibly and tie rod ends.
No clunks in the transmission on mine; have not been thru it so don't know all the ins and outs of it

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
the tire rods might need to be tinkerd with alittle, the pics show your axle seals need to be replaced and the trottle cable .......... i must say sometimes what people do 2 the mules is funney... all and all she looks ok

WPNS421

Well nice Mule, I bought a Mule from Dave at the Gilbert Show. it is great and it runs great. If you need parts ask Dave he has nearly everything. I really liked dealing with Dave good people. At the Gilbert Show he had a mount for a 106mm RR, did he mention that to you??

gunboy1656

He mentioned that one was purchased and headed up to Canada. He seemed to do pretty well for that trip. He didn't mention it at the show, but I was already aware he has one. My dad is in the mindset to fabricate his own, or something pretty similar.

WPNS421

He mentioned that one was purchased and headed up to Canada. He seemed to do pretty well for that trip. He didn't mention it at the show, but I was already aware he has one. My dad is in the mindset to fabricate his own, or something pretty similar.
The one I saw seemed prety straightforward and appeared easy to make, if I remember right the base fit in the round hole on the deck of the Mule and had 3 legs. I already put a removable no modification second fold down seat so the Mule can carry a passenger. Me when the wife is around. We are just about modifying a 101 trailer to accept the Mule width and ramps.. We will be towing the Mule behind our M1031.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks