• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I bought a Burma Jeep, Ford GTB

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "S" stands for "suppressed" as in electrical noise supression for operation near radios. Wow you are so lucky to have found those numbers! Since they are blue drab, that would have been the Ford factory application. And now we know you have a Navy contract truck, and it would have been a GTBC bomb truck with winch, which had USN numbers from 101000 to 105701. They were produced from 7/43 to 10/44, for a total of 4701 units.

Buz

Personally I would be calling City Salvage in Charlotte and see if those two Chevys (that were sold at the auction) with the bomb hoists on them are still living and haven't been crushed yet. Where else would you find one of those hoists for your truck that close to home?

Blythewoodjoe

I cut off most of the modified stuff. I can't stand to have stuff like that on an old WW2 vehicle. I also put some 9.00 x 20 military tires on it to move it around. They can't stay because they are too big but I wish I could get away with it. They are paid for and new 7.50's are $212 each.

I cut the big plate off the back that looked so bad. I also installed a hitch I was saving for my half track. Like it needs the hitch right now. I think the engine is locked too. I can't move it. I just love old rusty junk. Hey, it's all I can afford.

But seriously, does anybody know of anyone in the south east with a complete bomb truck I could look over and take some measurements from? I am also wondering if you guys think the mattress looking gas tank is the original. It measures about the right size to go in the box it would sit in and the supports under it appear to be the original hangers for the tool box. Let the fun begin.

Joe

Attachments

dionmtn

I got my Burma Jeep in Nov. 10. It's all apart now, starting to rebuild. So far, I am having trouble finding a wiring harness...searched a lot, none so far.

Luckly mine came pretty much all there and running. But, since I'm making it new well it had to come apart.

Vintage Wiring of Maine wanted over $1000.00 for a wiring harness. I don't mind paying high but I don't enjoy a "rape". I am pretty sure a wiring harness from a 1 1/2 ton Chevy truck will work on it since I've done some research, if anyone knows where I can find either please do write me back at dionmtn@yahoo.com

Thanks

dionmtn

Ran accross your Bruma Jeep,,,what can I say? Anyhow, I got in the Burma Jeep business last Nov. and bought a pretty nice one, mostly together. However, mine was not a bomb truck but a cargo truck. I was told by a knowledgebale old dude that the cargo truck bed is the same that a 1 1/2 Chevy cargo truck sported except for the little burp for the dual wheels.

You are welcome to come see mine. It is tore all to pieces now, that may be not good for you. You are more than welcome to measure anything you desire. The pic I posted on the site here is not mine, I do not have bows for the canvass nor the canvass for the bed, otherwise it's pretty much all there.

The one thing I'm having trouble with is the wiring harness. I have decided to give up on finding a wiring harness for it and instead try finding one for the Chevy, it should interchange,,,with some adaptations! Mine came to me as a 12 V, I'm going to leave it like that.

Write to me at dionmtn@yahoo.com if you desire to come here. I am only about 2 hours from the SC line, have many friends over there. Have traveled SC much,,,the best folks in the world!

Attachments

Burmafrd

Had a Burma for a while

Got mine in 92. Had it rebuilt. Now am looking for information on the carburetor. Its a 43, late I believe; when I get home I will find the SN.

For those that have worked on them (I am a truly LOUSY mechanic and quit trying years ago) did it have a vacuume adjust connection to the Distributor?

I have a whole one needing rebuilding sitting with a friend in Syracuse NY. Also have two frames and drive trains. A couple of engines needing rebuilding. And not ONE good carb between all of them. I trusted a guy I should not have and he put a carb on her that does not work and then lost the original carb that had worked for 15 years. Then I got sent to Kuwait and by the time I got back all I had left was the truck and nothing else (and no Carb). If you need parts let me know; I would trade a lot for a good carb. Where I am now (Las cruces, NM) I am still trying after two years to find a good mechanic that will work on it. My original Burma, which appeared several times at Ft Indiantown Gap, PA for the Battle of the Bulge reenactments, is with me down here. But everything else is with my friend in NY.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe, you might try Sam Werner in Tracy City, TN. I believe he had one when I was there last. Should be able to get his number from a MVM magazine.

Blythewoodjoe

Thanks guys. I have not done anything with it since my last post. Too many other projects and work. I hope to get back to work on it when it gets warmer. I'll have to call Sam Werner.

dionmtn

Info on the GTB...I have a quote for labor to overhaul engine and install hardened valve seats, it is $1000.00 and the guy is a top rated mechanic. Total parts are $1800.00 if I get new pistons $1400.00 if not. I was quoted $5600.00 and change from Jasper so this looked pretty good to me.

I am still looking for...the tube on top of the engine that spark plug wires run in,,,,a wheel for a spare, and a battery box cover. If no one has a cover, can someone post a photo of one?

I live in new braunfels texas and i found one in a feild and mine looks very similar to urs but without a winch and windsield if someone gots a windshield plez tell me and good luck on ur burma

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks