• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trouble searching

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm having trouble with a search. Sometimes search just doesn't agree with me :x. Maybe some of the "super searchers" (DH, Clinto?) can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I was trying to look up 6.2 engine cans. I typed "6.2 engine can" in the search field and I get this on the page- " The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: can" . So I got about 1,000 or so hits when only using the terms "6.2" and "engine". First, why won't it let me use "can" as one of the terms and second, how do I get around this?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This is a problem I frequently run in to.

Is it a specific thread you are after or are you looking to learn about the cans?

gunboy1656

Are you doing a general search, or in the CUCV forum? that will knock a few posts off.

As for the word can, a lot of searches, need 4 letter word to look for

Srjeeper

Try this...

Guy that knows a bunch more than me said to try this when doing a Search. In between the main words type in a + sign.

So in your case I tried 6.2 engine + can and got 518 posts. Maybe try 6.2 engine + container and see what comes up.

I had this sometimes work and sometimes not, but I think it has alot to do with the choice of words ya use too.

Good Luck..aua

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it a specific thread you are after or are you looking to learn about the cans?
A local guy has got one for sale and I was wondering if I could get a read on what they were worth (if a multifuel would fit it would already be mine ;)).

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK, great. Since I rarely look for 6.2/CUCV stuff (I loathe the things and their British wiring) this will be a good challenge.

This thread is a great idea and could become really informative.

First, I tried "6.2 AND worth" and filtered the answers to just the CUCV forum. I got 3 pages of results and none looked like a good chance of answering the question.

So then I tried "6.2 AND value" and got the dreaded "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: value" response.

Now I am really having to ask myself "how would the most common phrases concerning engine cans and their values be worded?". So I tried "6.2 AND engine AND paid" hoping I would catch people talking about cans they had bought.

This only netted me 7 possible matches but one thread did make me think about rephrasing the search as a container instead of a can.

So then I tried "6.2 AND metal" hoping I'd catch people referring to the cans. This provided 2 pages of results but nothing of value.

Next I tried "6.2 AND shipping"-this got me 2 pages and one thread where I saw people referring to the cans as crates. Made mental note.

So............... still not getting anywhere......................... so I tried a new tack......

I tried "paid AND engine"-nothing good.

Then "paid AND shipping"-same.

Now, at this point, I'd probably give up. I am sure that there is a thread (or threads) where people have discussed what they paid for cans, but without knowing the author and the search engine not recognizing the word "can" the odds of finding it are slim.

Now, I did all these searches only looking in the CUCV forum-it is possible the answer is in a conversations (or other) forum thread.

My recommendation? And this is what I'd do if I had this question..... Post a new thread and if someone out there gives you a link to a pre-existing thread, either delete your thread and take the convo over to the existing thread or ask a mod to merge them.

Thanks for asking!

C

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Clinto. I really didn't aim for you to go through that much trouble.

Even though you didn't find any relevant threads, I did learn something about searching by seeing your thought process. I'm sure what you and Srjeeper said will help me in future searches.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto basically said and did everything I usually do, so I didn't post.

Sometimes when I search, I find info and learn things I wasn't looking for. It is almost always rewarding, in some way.(even when I don't find what I was looking for)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes when I search, I find info and learn things I wasn't looking for.
:ditto:

I've been seaching for something before and find threads that had nothing to do with what I was searching for. Before you know it, I'm on a whole different subject and don't even remember what my original search was about.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So come on man, let's have another! :-D What is something else you have searched for that you haven't been able to find?

littlebob

:ditto:

I've been seaching for something before and find threads that had nothing to do with what I was searching for. Before you know it, I'm on a whole different subject and don't even remember what my original search was about.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somebody on this forum (and much smarter than me..... who isn't?) recommended I use Google search in order to search THIS forum.

Sorta like reaching into the tool box for a better tool.

If I remember correctly (my other problem is memory) he said to type into the search field: search site: Steel Soldiers followed by the words you wish to search for.

I was told this applies a much more robust search tool to look through the SS site. however I do not know if it automatically searches the old site as well. Maybe someone can confirm my above suggestion and whether both sites are searched by the above suggestion.

Rick

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm searching to see if anyone followed Clinto's instructions? Post #4 http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?103349-Search-Tutorial

The "CUCV" 'search tutorial' thread forced me into this thread so I'm bumping as a reminder and for feedback on how to help the search function. This information has been posted before so this is just a 'gathering of current info'.

I really liked the "search tutorial" title so lets see where this goes.

The TITLES of a thread should read like a 'newspaper headline'..... a description of the information in your thread in a few words.

This will help for future searches, one thousand years from now.

Example:

You bought a beater jeep and want to post a re-build thread. You already know the rules, how to post pics and the process so you start your first 'thread'.
It's actually quite exciting and intimidating for a newbie and some of the old boys remember that.

Find the forum for your specific jeep (or your vehicle type/era), Select a descriptive title.... ""Jim's 45 Willys jeep restoration""... and post all your pics, progress and questions in one thread.

If you have a question and found threads while searching that have a similar question "In the Title".....add to that thread. (Hi-jacking rules to be discussed here)

Good information gets lost with bad titles.

If the forums started breaking thread titles into the components of the trucks... or adding to existing, quality thread titles, we would begin 'compiling' good info on one thread. For example, the Early Deuce Levy parts book breaks the truck into 38 categories starting with 1) Engine 2) Carb 3) Fuel Pump 4) air cleaner....etc.

Ideally and maybe eventually, if you had a question about the M135 Engine, you would use the search term "M135 engine" and it would take you to a 300 page text book all on one thread. You could flip through one thread and read the opinions, challenges and successes all in one place. You could then simply add a comment or continue with a question on the "M135 engine" info thread.

Thread titles like ...."guess what I found"...."don't know where"..... miss the descriptions of valuable information within the thread.

If you want a beer, say "I want a beer"......rather then, "guess what I'm thirsty for"..or.. "I could really have one of these"......

The "posters" may 'control' the quality of the site and the ease of access to information, simply by choosing a logical title......

nf6x

Feral Engineer
My kingdom for a regular expression!

I have been unable to get the built-in site search to return results with all keywords present. For example, I tried to find threads in the classifieds section with both of the words "HMMWV" and "winch" in the title. I tried every variation I could think of that commonly works in other search engines, such as:

• HMMWV AND winch
  • HMMWV + winch
  • HMMWV & winch
  • +HMMWV +winch

but in all cases, I got results that had either "HMMWV" or "winch" in the title. I'm using this search as an example; in general, I have found it to be very hard to get meaningful results from the site search engine without the ability to search for posts that have all keywords present, instead of any keyword present.

Is there some syntax or flag I've missed that would allow that kind of search? If not, can we please get an upgraded search engine? I'd pay money for well-integrated regular expression searching on this otherwise wonderful site! Just being able to use something comparable to an AND keyword would be very helpful. Grouping would be even better when there are common misspellings to be searched, such as "(HMMWV OR humvee) AND (winch OR wench)". True regular expressions would be a great blessing as long as they don't get in the way of non-RE-savvy folks trying to do simpler searches.

I am aware that it's possible to do a site search through Google, but then I think that I lose the ability to specify which sub-forum(s) I want to search in, and to specify that I only want to search titles.

P.S.: I'm not planning to add a winch to my HMMWV at this time, but I'm curious about adding a smaller pilot winch on the back of my M936A1 to help me pull out the main rear winch cable when I don't have a few helpers handy to tug on it. I think it was Ron who gave me the hint about adding a pilot winch to help with that, and a hydraulic winch seems like a natural fit since hydraulic power is already available at the rear of the truck. I figure that repurposing a Mile Marker hydraulic winch from a HMMWV might be a good option.

JCKnife

I'm having the same problem as nf6x: trying to learn about winch cable and I'm getting pages and pages of "winch" threads with no discussion of cable. Searching thread titles in the deuce forum, tried & + AND with no change in results.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks