• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trouble searching

JCKnife

I appreciate the cable advice but in this forum I really was trying to learn how to use search correctly. Is there an operator to search ALL terms and not just any? Quotes do not seem to have any effect either.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'll explain how I found it when I get home (I'm at lunch now)

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I appreciate the cable advice but in this forum I really was trying to learn how to use search correctly. Is there an operator to search ALL terms and not just any? Quotes do not seem to have any effect either.

Ok, now that I am home:

Alright, I have pretty much stopped using the on-site search mechanism, since it blows since the upgrade. I will use it if I know the author and a specific phrase from the post.

So I am now searching the site using google. You can use google to search within a specific website by prefacing your search query with "site:www.whateversiteyouretryingtosearch.com whatever thing it is you're looking for.

You can see it in action here: http://bit.ly/YSxCNc

So, that's how I am searching the site.

Now, for your particular inquiry, you wanted to learn about the cable. To me, that means what is the correct cable, where to source it at the best price, how to install it on the drum, how to attach the chain to the end of the cable, etc.

Figuring all that, I know I can't search the site for "winch cable" or any other common phrases. I figured phrases like that would be in a million threads ("I recovered my new GL deuce today and it's perfect other than a rusty winch cable I need to replace").

So I try to think "ok clinto, what phrase would be included in a thorough discussion of winch cable issues?" From my prior reading, I know the deuce winch rope is a fiber core unit. So I figure the phrase "fiber core" is going to be included in serious wire rope discussion.

When I googled the phrase "wire rope fiber core" I found the first few threads (several of which I linked in my earlier reply) which satisfied me.

Now, anyone reading this is probably saying "Well DUH! Of course you're good at searching, you already knew the phrase you were looking for!".

Unfortunately-that's my secret. I already did my research-I read all the threads. When I joined the site, I literally started on page 1 and worked my way forward, methodically. It took me weeks.

When I got my mule, I did the same on the mule section on G503.com. Took a while but when I was done, I was a lot more knowledgeable.

That's why I always tell new guys that they need to just start reading old threads and working their way forward. And yeah, it's hard when there are thousands of threads. That's why so many of us get so peeved when threads covering topics that have already been discussed get created. It makes it that much harder for a new guy to get up to speed because he has to ready 10,000 threads instead of 1,000.

Ok, so who's next? Let's play stump clinto!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so who's next? Let's play stump clinto!
Thank you! It's great that folks take the time to share the fishing rod!
I don't want to stump anyone but I would like to go through some of the more difficult search terms like the following.

"Glass Cement"

This is found on Page 110 TM 9-8025 when referring to a compound used in the assembly of a water pump from the G-749 - 302 gasser.

When a guy searches 'glass cement' you're going to get dental glues and bonding agents for glass. My first brilliant idea was to start with mechanical sites and water pump re-build links to find different ways to 'phrase' what I was looking for.

I haven't found the term any where else after searching through 'stovebolt waterpump' 'how to rebuild a water pump' 'water pump sealant' 'water resistant sealants' and a few other combinations. I haven't stopped looking and the answer may come from a veteran mechanic or a Steel Soldier before the net reveals it but it does create a tough position when looking for unusual terms.

.....So, what is "glass cement" and what should a guy do when he has 'common' words to search for?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you! It's great that folks take the time to share the fishing rod!
I don't want to stump anyone but I would like to go through some of the more difficult search terms like the following.

"Glass Cement"

This is found on Page 110 TM 9-8025 when referring to a compound used in the assembly of a water pump from the G-749 - 302 gasser.

When a guy searches 'glass cement' you're going to get dental glues and bonding agents for glass. My first brilliant idea was to start with mechanical sites and water pump re-build links to find different ways to 'phrase' what I was looking for.

I haven't found the term any where else after searching through 'stovebolt waterpump' 'how to rebuild a water pump' 'water pump sealant' 'water resistant sealants' and a few other combinations. I haven't stopped looking and the answer may come from a veteran mechanic or a Steel Soldier before the net reveals it but it does create a tough position when looking for unusual terms.

.....So, what is "glass cement" and what should a guy do when he has 'common' words to search for?
No clue on this one.

If it were me, I'd start looking on the web for forums where people have discussed the rebuilding of water pumps on vintage vehicles that are obsolete. See if people are mentioning any kind of material that is used in the way the TM describes.

More likely than not, one of two things has occurred: Glass cement is now known as something completely different, or it's no longer used in water pump rebuilds.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok folks, I wanna' try something out.

Everybody knows that 90% of all topics have been covered in great detail by this point. But not everyone is good at searching and finding it.

After you've searched for what you need, if you didn't find it, I want you to come to this thread, post up what you're after and how you searched for it and I'll find what you need and tell you how I found it. I think this will help a lot of folks out.

Example:

"Hey Clinto, I just joined the site and I need to know how to pull a civvy 12V trailer with my Deuce. I searched by using X, Y and Z words and I used the google search at the top of the page. I found a few ok threads but not a "silver bullet". Can you help?"

to which I'd go find the threads and explain how.

So does someone want to give this a shot? Something you know has to be out there somewhere, but you just can't find it?

Woodsplinter

Clinto, I think that's a great idea- thanks for your help! I'll post up if I can't find something.
The biggest problem I have is searching for something that has two or more words to describe it like "deuce rims". My searches always return posts containing EITHER word. I can't figure out how to search only for those two words together.

Mark

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From Google Search do the following

"Deuce Rims" site:steelsoldiers.com

The same syntax will work in the google search on the main page of the site on the left. I just like to start at Google, bad habits.

Other key search criteria for google based search engines are below on how to get what you want when you want !

earch for an exact word or phrase
"search query"
Use quotes to search for an exact word or set of words. This option is handy when searching for song lyrics or a line from literature.
"imagine all the people"Tip: Only use this if you're looking for a very precise word or phrase, because otherwise you could be excluding helpful results by mistake.
Exclude a word
-query
Add a dash (-) before a word or site to exclude all results that include that word. This is especially useful for synonyms like Jaguar the car brand and jaguar the animal.jaguar speed -car or pandas -site:wikipedia.org
Tip: You can also exclude results based on other operators, like excluding all results from a specific site.
Search within a site or domain
site:query
If you are looking for more results from a certain website, includesite: in your query. For example, you can find all mentions of "olympics" on the New York Times website like this:
olympics site:nytimes.comTip: Also search within a specific top-level domain like .org or .edu or country top-level domain like .de or .jp.
olympics site:.gov

Search for pages that link to a URL
link:query
Using the link: operator, you can find pages that link to a certain page. For example, you can find all the pages that link to google.com.
link:google.comTip: You can also search for links to specific pages, like google.com/images.
link:google.com/images

Search for pages that are similar to a URL
related:query
To find sites that are similar to a URL you already know, use therelated: operator. For example, when you search for related sites to the New York Times, you'll find other news publication sites you may be interested in.
related:nytimes.com
Include a "fill in the blank"
query * query
Use an asterisk (*) within a query as a placeholder for any unknown or wildcard terms. Use with quotation marks to find variations of that exact phrase or to remember words in the middle of a phrase.
"a * saved is a * earned"
Search for either word
query OR query
If you want to search for pages that may have just one of several words, include OR (capitalized) between the words. Without the OR, your results would typically show only pages that match both terms.
world cup location 2014 OR 2018Tip: Enclose phrases in quotes to search for either one of several phrases.
"world cup location 2014" OR "world cup location 2018"

Search for a number range
number..number
Separate numbers by two periods without spaces (..) to see results that contain numbers in a given range of things like dates, prices, and measurements.
camera $50..$100Tip: Use only one number with the two periods to indicate an upper maximum or a lower minimum.
daytona 500 winners ..2000

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
From Google Search do the following

"Deuce Rims" site:steelsoldiers.com

The same syntax will work in the google search on the main page of the site on the left. I just like to start at Google, bad habits.

Other key search criteria for google based search engines are below on how to get what you want when you want !

earch for an exact word or phrase
"search query"
Use quotes to search for an exact word or set of words. This option is handy when searching for song lyrics or a line from literature.
"imagine all the people"Tip: Only use this if you're looking for a very precise word or phrase, because otherwise you could be excluding helpful results by mistake.
Exclude a word
-query
Add a dash (-) before a word or site to exclude all results that include that word. This is especially useful for synonyms like Jaguar the car brand and jaguar the animal.jaguar speed -car or pandas -site:wikipedia.org
Tip: You can also exclude results based on other operators, like excluding all results from a specific site.
Search within a site or domain
site:query
If you are looking for more results from a certain website, includesite: in your query. For example, you can find all mentions of "olympics" on the New York Times website like this:
olympics site:nytimes.comTip: Also search within a specific top-level domain like .org or .edu or country top-level domain like .de or .jp.
olympics site:.gov
Search for pages that link to a URL
link:query
Using the link: operator, you can find pages that link to a certain page. For example, you can find all the pages that link to google.com.
link:google.comTip: You can also search for links to specific pages, like google.com/images.
link:google.com/images
Search for pages that are similar to a URL
related:query
To find sites that are similar to a URL you already know, use therelated: operator. For example, when you search for related sites to the New York Times, you'll find other news publication sites you may be interested in.
related:nytimes.com
Include a "fill in the blank"
query * query
Use an asterisk (*) within a query as a placeholder for any unknown or wildcard terms. Use with quotation marks to find variations of that exact phrase or to remember words in the middle of a phrase.
"a * saved is a * earned"
Search for either word
query OR query
If you want to search for pages that may have just one of several words, include OR (capitalized) between the words. Without the OR, your results would typically show only pages that match both terms.
world cup location 2014 OR 2018Tip: Enclose phrases in quotes to search for either one of several phrases.
"world cup location 2014" OR "world cup location 2018"
Search for a number range
number..number
Separate numbers by two periods without spaces (..) to see results that contain numbers in a given range of things like dates, prices, and measurements.
camera $50..$100Tip: Use only one number with the two periods to indicate an upper maximum or a lower minimum.
daytona 500 winners ..2000
Which as I've noted can be used in the search in the top right which is google.

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been using nothing but the Google search on the top of the page lately, It Is a lot easier than going straight to Google site and has been working good for me.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Alright, it's time for another installment of search help.

Who is looking for something that can't find it? Post up what you're after and I'll find it and I'll explain how I found it. I'll be back later tonight, after dinner.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Intelligent life on Earth.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you say dinner, do you mean lunch?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Information on specific trucks

Prior to buying, lots of guys find a truck/jeep/tank/ship, then start searching for information on comparative prices, parts availability, popularity, weight, length, history, how to insure/ register and all the goodies that make a purchase more explainable to the spouse.

I'm digging through the web to find information on a P-4 Oshkosh fire-truck because I might get a chance to move a 44,000lb non-runner and I want to know things to make the job easier.

A few examples of some common questions:

What type of axles will it have and do they need to be caged so she rolls onto a trailer?
What type of engine does it have and can we get maintenance and replacement parts?
Weight?
Length?
Specific clubs or support groups of like interest?

So now the search question..........

What 'search terms' and processes would you use to find 'all' information about a specific truck or specific item on a truck?

Using the P-4 Oshkosh as an example I started the search using........

"""p-4 oshkosh crash truck""""

......one of the first articles was informative but I'm still missing specs, maybe even a TM and details about drive-train........
http://railbastard.freeforums.org/raaf-ran-oshkosh-p4-fire-trucks-t1408.html

I'll have more time tonight also after I eat one of the meals described above. I am possibly moving this truck in two sleeps so we have lots of time to find out what type of axles I have and what I need to do to get them to roll.....as priority #1.

I tried searching oshkosh rear-end but that did not go well so I'd like to know what others do to hunt specific information about their Steel Soldier.

Cheers,

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
P-4 Oshkosh, start broad and then start narrowing down keywords,

think some may share drive trains , although that is a guess too,..
That actually worked well glassk thanks. There was some info that the p-4 shared the same drive-train as the front load cement trucks. Still checking that. I also found out the trucks were called M-1500 in the civi world so I searched the term
""M-1500 oshkosh technical manuals""

I found some info on the differentials through this link, http://forums.aths.org/142268/RE-OSHKOSH-Airport-Fire-truck

The front axle is a rockwell model FM 240 double reduction with a gear ratio 5.82 to 1

The rear axle is a rockwell model M 240 Double reduction with a gear ratio 5.82 to 1

I'm not familiar with the Rockwell yet so I'll start with the Rockwell website and search for info on the M 240.......after I confirm the first source.

I did send an email to Oshkosh so we'll see if they will help with the search for manuals.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wowzer Doctor Search and Deuce Clinto, I stretched my resources and still haven't found a hot link to 'online' P-4 Oshkosk manuals. This may be a dead end hunt but I thought I could find them somewhere. I've been through most search terms using p-4, m1500, arff, crashtruck, oshkosh, firetruck and even Mr. Oshkosh. What am I missing?

I did get a response from the wrong guy at Oshkosh who forwarded my manual request to "Airport products group for follow up" so I may net some results there.

The differential/ air-brake concern is gone with the info they are drum brake/ Rockwells but I still need the manuals. There is a ton of Rockwell data out there however I need era specific data about 70's Rockwell M240 axles still. My Rear-end search found me back on Steel Soldiers looking through the 5 ton TM's which seem to have a link to the Rockwell M240. Bottom end of the Rockwell learning curve is where I am.

I am now certain this P-4 wants to come to the 749 farm tomorrow and will post pics so we can see the diff.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks