• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Wisconsin HMV law in effect Oct 1st.

CatMan

The new Historic Military Vehicle law became effective on October 1st. Please pass this information on to other military vehicle collectors you know.

By Wisconsin law, privately owned former military vehicles may now be registered and will receive the new Historic Military Vehicle license plates. Owners who have military vehicles that are currently registered in WI and have other license plates, REGULAR, COLLECTOR, HOBBYIST, ANTIQUE or other must re-apply and transfer the registration to the new HMV category.

Driving a former military vehicle after Oct 1st without the new HMV plate is considered the same as driving with without registration or driving with expired registration. You can continue to drive on the old plates as long as your application has been submitted and you have not received the new plates. Keep a copy of your application in the vehicle until you receive the new plates.

The DOT web site now has the details posted. The link is:

Details about the new Historic Military Plate can be viewed on line at:
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/vehicles/personal/special/histmilitary.htm
(you may want to print a copy of this page and keep it in the vehicle, in case you are asked)

The link to the new HMV application form number MV2592 for download & print out is:
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/vehicles/veh-forms.htm

There is no charge for the transfer if the vehicle is currently registered. The DOT is now accepting HMV applications and the plates should start being mailed out in about two weeks. Owners must mail the application and title with vehicle photos and any fees (for new registrations) to the DOT Madison address on the application form. The regional walk in DMV offices can print out the new application forms for you, but can not process the application.

If you are wondering why the DOT is requiring owners to submit photo’s of the vehicle with the application, many vehicles, military and non military have be incorrectly registered by the DMV in the past. Having photos lets them see the vehicle without requiring an on-site vehicle inspection. The requirement for supplying photo’s with the application is also being added to other Wisconsin vehicle categories including COLLECTOR and HOBBIEST applications.

The following military vehicles are also covered in a separate change to the current COLLECTOR law and can be registered as a COLLECTOR vehicle or can be registered under the HMV rules at the owner’s option. The Pinzgauer, HUMVEE, M715 Jeep and GMC DUKW. See the COLLECTOR statute or Plate section on the DOT web site for details.

We plan to continue to lobby the legislature to amend and expand the new law to include personnel use in the future. It is important that we register our military vehicles with the new plates because the safety record is tracked by plate type. This is done for all the plate types. When we demonstrate that the historic military vehicles have a safety record in Wisconsin, we can go back to the legislature for amendments.

Without the new law we would not have legal protection to own and operate former military vehicles in Wisconsin.

Thanks to everyone for your efforts.

Cat Man

toddm

Wisconsin MV plate

I received my MV plates from the State of Wisconsin DOT today and my new title stating it is a military vehicle. I sent in the application on October 1st.

Attachments

kennys@wi.rr.com

I'm glad to see they came fast. I sent mine out on Monday so I hope the turn around is as quick. However, your truck was previously licenced with collector plates so I hope that mine isn't slowed down because of just getting it.

L999here

...for clarity...

Had heard that the new regulations would not allow tracked vehicles to be so registered. Where do these vehicles stand presently...?

CatMan

WI HMV issue

I'm glad to hear people like the new plates. The design was by the MV clubs in WI. The DOT aggreed to let us design it. We asked owners and came up with several designs, narrowed it to four and then two and voted on the final. It took a while working with the DOT to get a color that was between WWII OD and Later Semi Gloss.

The result looks pretty good on what ever vintage vehicle you have.

The applications seem to be going thru the DOT office pretty quickly now that they have the plates to issue. Seems about the same regardless of weather its a new application or convertion of an existing one.

I've heard from a few people that the DOT has called them to verify a number or ask for something that was missed on the application. Seems to go smoothly.

As to tracked vehicles. We lost that battle in the first round. The new WI law excludes licensing tracked vehicles. The potential for heavy vehicles with poor visability creating a safety hazard on the road was the issue. Don't yell at me, talk to the DOT. We did the best we could.

We will work on amending the law to improve the law for owners in the future. The state legislature wants to see a year or two of WI safety data under the new registrations / MV plates to show the safety record IN Wisconsin. We'll be going back to the legislature then. That's why it is important to convert to the new plates.

Cat Man

lacoda56

Just want to add that I sent in the application on the 25th and recieved the plates and new title in the mail today! Seems a little fast for the DMV. Also, I got # 10018, 3 numbers less than Toddm and his was sent in almost a month earlier. Go figure.

I want to thank Catman and all who worked for this. I know it's not perfect, but it's a good start and it works for me. I was told 6 years ago by a DMV clerk that my truck couldn't be titled or licensed in this state. Guess she was wrong.:beer:

L999here

...regular 'maintainence'

Now don't tell me that anyone with any military experience can't understand 'regular maintainence'. That's when you...fill up w/fuel,check the brakes,drive around the block to 'check' the steering,go air up the tires,get an oil change and so on. You got to be creative when skirting the edges around the laws. Except for the fact that I have to get a 'wide-load' temp permit...I'd be driving my semi and hauling the M172A1 trailer all over the place. MAINTAINENCE can be anything you deem necessary to keep your vehicle in good,safe running condition. Got to do this stuff in a precise,profeccient military manner...LOL.

stumps

Sadly, I think I can guarantee that if you make that many maintenance trips, the local LEO with a pedantic attitude, will have you in court PDQ. It has happened to others in other states with their historic tags.

-Chuck

kennys@wi.rr.com

L999here:

I couldn't agree more. "Honest officer my truck gets this wierd smell when I put on 150 in one day". This is a loop hole big enough to drie a deuce through.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks