• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new Lexan Window replacement

gaspain

well, my deuce has a few cracked windows. So, I think i'm gonna replace them with Lexan MR10. Its scratch and UV proof, so it should hold up well. They should drop in relatively easilly in the existing frames and its flat lexan so its cheaper. And If I get it thick enough, it will be bullet resistant, hehe. Also, a lot safer than that pane type glass that could decapitate your head in an accident.

anyway, just wondering what ya'll thought before I dropped some coin on this.

One thing, I wonder if there is an anti-reflective coating that one can get for the outside? and slight tint for the side windows?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In order to be legal for street use, the material used in the windshields of vehicles needs to be DOT approved for said use, must conform to standards for safety reasons. Can't just say it's better than glass, the item needs to be DOT approved. Might want to ask around at your local windshield shop and see what they think first.

Reactions: art

gaspain

In order to be legal for street use, the material used in the windshields of vehicles needs to be DOT approved for said use, must conform to standards for safety reasons. Can't just say it's better than glass, the item needs to be DOT approved. Might want to ask around at your local windshield shop and see what they think first.

the original glass is not DOT, its just a pane of crappy glass.

interrogative:
I am concerned about the use of wipers with dust on the windows, may scratch through the MR10 coating....

Mark2X2

well, my deuce has a few cracked windows. So, I think i'm gonna replace them with Lexan MR10. Its scratch and UV proof, so it should hold up well. They should drop in relatively easilly in the existing frames and its flat lexan so its cheaper. And If I get it thick enough, it will be bullet resistant, hehe. Also, a lot safer than that pane type glass that could decapitate your head in an accident.

anyway, just wondering what ya'll thought before I dropped some coin on this.

One thing, I wonder if there is an anti-reflective coating that one can get for the outside? and slight tint for the side windows?
I run a 653e JD cut to length tree harvester. Tree limbs are smacking the windows all day. Believe me there are differnt grades of lexan. I broke a front window and replaced it with some lexan we had at the shop. It didn't last an hour. Got another piece from the auto glass shop and it's been in there for 6+ years. So make sure you get the good stuff. My windows are tinted.

I like the idea a lot, and I have a possibly solution to the scratching caused by the wipers. In the motorcycle racing world, the racers use disposable films over their lenses that they can tear off while racing so they can once again see after track grit and rubber bits and such is flung in their faces. It would not be horribly difficult to put a clear static cling type film on the outside of the lexan window to "take one for the team" and get scratched up. When it gets too bad, tear off the film and add a new film to it. I know from my workings with small pieces of plexiglass for around the house, it comes with a film already applied so you can cut it to size without scratching it, and then tear the film off before installation.

Darwin T

Decapitate??

"Also, a lot safer than that pane type glass that could decapitate your head in an accident":

other than the winch backlash proof what do you plan to hit with a deuce that hard. the little cars that cut me off need a lexan cover. just giving you a hard time, lexan sounds great. i have seen "Front safety window glass" for sale on one of the parts sites, however i have not followed up on it yet. myth busters was using lexan to hide behind until the found out it would not stop what they were hiding from, now they have better shields.rofl

Scarecrow1

Like juddspaintballs said I am concerned about the scratching ..I have used lexon before in window pain applications and was not to happy with the long term results ....Some have inspite of the claims frosted or clouded over in time ..and yes thet do scratch ...But like you I do like the idea of a stronger glass in the windows and would like to see how you make out with them .........

leroygreen

I make this stuff and it not scratch proof. Its tough and and scratch resistant, but over time if there is dirt/dust on windshield your wipers will start to make streaks and small scratches and cause a glare. If you want it for side windows it does come in a couple of smoke colored shades at about 50% light trans.

MR10 works great for motorcycle windshields, where they are cleaned by hand. Most OEM vtwin windshiels are MR10 or lexan margaurd.

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thought I'd bump this thread as I'm gonna be replacing the glass in my cab with...something.

I'm talking to a glass shop on Wed, but wondered if anyone might have an updated opinion about what's out there?

I expect to take this thing deep into the bush, and right now I just want something stronger than glass - that won't crack if I roll the window up too far... While I don't want to spend too much, we're only talking about 4 pieces, so, even if it's 10x more expensive than glass (for instance), that's still not a lot of money.

rustystud

Thought I'd bump this thread as I'm gonna be replacing the glass in my cab with...something.

I'm talking to a glass shop on Wed, but wondered if anyone might have an updated opinion about what's out there?

I expect to take this thing deep into the bush, and right now I just want something stronger than glass - that won't crack if I roll the window up too far... While I don't want to spend too much, we're only talking about 4 pieces, so, even if it's 10x more expensive than glass (for instance), that's still not a lot of money.
Let me know if you find someone who can do this Ok ? I need my rear window replaced and my cab top is from a 1954 Studebaker REO. So the window is much smaller then the later M35A2 series are.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After speaking to the glass shop, the only alternative they could recommend was the Lexan. I had hoped they might've been able to offer an alternative.

Doing some research on the web, I found one article that stated that Lexan (aka: polycarbonate) is 250x stronger than glass, and acrylic is 17x stronger, but that acrylic is more scratch resistant than Lexan. As I'm looking for stronger than glass (and 17x is probably good enough) and I expect scratching is something I'm gonna face, I've decided to go with acrylic.

I'm gonna do a little more research, but I'll probably buy, cut and install it myself.

This link provides a good pro/con list between polycarbonate and acrylic:

https://www.acplasticsinc.com/informationcenter/r/lexan-vs-acrylic

And really, I don't expect it to scratch too much, if I end up replacing a pane every 5 years or so, meh, that's good enough.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks