• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anti-Aircraft Searchlights Located and they are FOR SALE

Barneyszoo

Sounds like he has some 60" carbon arc's if there trailer mounted.
Looking forward to some pictures and info. It would be cool if he has the remote control set up for them. I have heard there are very few of the remote's around.
There a bit bigger than the VSS-1 above. I have the little brother the VSS-3 that I mount up on my TOW base plate on my HMMWV.

Super Cool light sabers.
BH
You got some preaty cool toys G, was looking at one to tow behind my 5 ton

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We left town on short notice for a family funeral and I accidently left the gentleman's contact info on my desk :x Sometimes I'm just not the brightest bulb in the box.

Anywaze... I thought about calling the dogs who are still at home and asking them to look in the envelope, but...... <sigh> ... they don't have opposable thumbs and wouldn't be able to get the envelope open rofl

I'll get back on the project after Monday's 400 mile trek back home.

aua

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those who are REALLY interested in these Searchlights.....

Here is the content of a PM REPLY that I just sent to those who PM'd me.......

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gentlemen,
Thank you CarbonArc for stirring the pot on this.

I am sending this via PM to all those who expressed an interest in these Searchlights. I will also be posting this info to the Thread that I had started, but am giving it directly to y'all so you don't miss it.

Here's what I now know...

- The gentleman that owns the lights is not very computer-savvy. He has snail-mailed pictures to me, but they aren't even good enough to scan for posting. I'll do my best do describe what I see....

- There are 4 Searchlights.

- #1 Searchlight with powerplant is mounted on a Modern Bumper-Pull Trailer and is presently located near Cresson, TX.

- #2, #3 & #4 Searchlights near Medina, TX.

- #2 Searchlight is on a long gooseneck trailer with its powerplant

- #3 Searchlight seems to be on a small Bumper-Pull Trailer (but it may be a cart-mount) and it's Powerplant is cart-mounted - may be original military 4 wheel configuration but appears to have civilian wheels & tires.

- #4 Searchlight and separate Powerplant are each cart-mounted.

- ALSO "on-hand" are 308 Negative Carbon Rods and 50 Positive Carbon Rods.

-------
He would like to sell them as a package deal and danced around a $22,000-$23,000 figure.

He rationalized that in a good economy, they could probably bring about $5000 per Powerplant and $7500 per Searchlight. (He has a background in sales and his mind is sharp as a tack.)

I explained to him that I do not want to be a broker in this.... I'm stepping out of any transaction and just letting y'all contact him.

Here is his contact info:

Mr. Kenneth (Ken) Wooten (wife: Nelda)
304 Willow Ridge Rd.
Fort Worth, Texas 76103

Phone: (817) 507-3248

Please contact him only if you are SERIOUS about these Searchlights.

Please also remember that he's not very much into computers and will feel more comfortable snail-mailing pictures, etc.

Best Regards,
John
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let us know what happens.... This THREAD is still ALIVE ! ! !

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all been reading this thread and can't help but post as I too find these lights captivating!!! as I understand it the VSS-1 was mainly
used on the m-48/m-60 tanks and the VSS-3's were used on the m-551
Sheridan air assault vehicles. If anyone has an itch to get into a nice
example of the VSS-3 PM me I might be talked into selling or trading mine.
But I warn you ahead of time , I ain't "LOOKIN TO GIVE AWAY" my
XL-flashlight!!! LOL
popacom / BILL in Ky.:jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:

BLK HMMWV

Bill
Not sure about the VSS-1 but in TM 11-5855-217-12-1 for the VSS-3
It shows two mounting brackets for the M551 and the M60 tanks.

Yes these babies are fun to play with.
I still have another VSS-3 still sealed in the original shipping crate.

Back to the 60"ers.
I sure hope a member here will be able to get them and bring them back to life.

In case anyone out here on the Left coast has an interest in seeing one up close.
I think Fort Mac in San Pedro will be showing off at least one of there two with a working remote control / viewer (a rare find in itself) at the upcoming Air Raid over Los Angeles event in Feb.

The Great LA Air Raid 2011

Yes it actually happened Interesting story if you want to check it out.
Proof of the old saying what goes up must come down .

Any way sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

BH/CC

crasheej

We had those 60in ers at Inchon, Korea in 1963,64. Was used them to try and keep the slickly boys from stealing fuel and gas from the 532nd QM Depot. We would fuel the things at 1530 ever day and about 0130 or so they would come wake up and the one inside the depot would be out pf gas. We knew where it was going but they just could not seem to catch them doing it. They could light up the night.

NEIOWA

Two searchlights listed on gsaxcess.gov - NASA surplus located Edwards CA. Obviously military. I don't know what process if for auction/disposal of GSA equipment that does not get reused.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks