• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

breaking free stuck lug nuts

rustystud

Galling threads ruins studs and nuts. Their are great forces at work. My own process is to remove any debris in the threads and a light drop of lubricant before removal, then place nuts on stud board as they are removed and place back on same studs without any further lubricant. Any that are damaged are replaced.

Large studs, nuts on wheels are designed to be used over to be economical. Otherwise the manufacturer will recommend replacement as has been said, once the force of torque has been applied, stretch has happened and to get the same repetitive result a new set of hardware is needed.

I will add that over torque will add more undesired stress to the distorted hub and the wheel rim, stress cracking either.

So manuals do serve a purpose more for critical information than a coffee cup coaster. Duration of the parts may need to have values changed to provide a higher safety margin.
The newer style of studs on trucks and buses (which are smaller) are usually use once and discard. The older style which have 3/4" studs are meant to be reused many times. They do need to be inspected and if any damage is noticed then they need to be replaced. You almost never hear of a commercial truck that had an accident due to a wheel coming off anymore. The new plastic indicators help with that.

Day Tripper

The replacement cost of all my tools would buy my house. No kidding. Last time I had to itemize my tools for insurance was over 10 years ago and they where worth over $300,000.00 . I've added some since then. When I first got into the trade I payed the "Snap-On" man $750.00 month for 15 years. That's not counting the Mac Dealer or the Matco Dealer or the other two who came by every week. Then I started buying whole sets like my 3/4" socket set. For the last 42 years I averaged paying out $600.00 a month on tools. There where many others who made me look like a "light weight" compared to how much they would spend each month.
The big question should be what tools you don't have, if any.
I bow to you.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Galling threads ruins studs and nuts. Their are great forces at work. My own process is to remove any debris in the threads and a light drop of lubricant before removal, then place nuts on stud board as they are removed and place back on same studs without any further lubricant. Any that are damaged are replaced.
Large studs, nuts on wheels are designed to be used over to be economical. Otherwise the manufacturer will recommend replacement as has been said, once the force of torque has been applied, stretch has happened and to get the same repetitive result a new set of hardware is needed.
I will add that over torque will add more undesired stress to the distorted hub and the wheel rim, stress cracking either.
So manuals do serve a purpose more for critical information than a coffee cup coaster. Duration of the parts may need to have values changed to provide a higher safety margin.
That could be the question and answer right there. It's funny I have a small landscape trailer that needs a couple of wheel studs replace and I had to keep the nuts in order when I changed the tire last time. I know get to work on it you lazy donkey. Maybe the guilt is using big air tools to remove the truck nuts as it does not feel for problems. I was guilty of it but sold my monster compressor so now it's just me and four way. If we took the time to hand spin them off we might feel the problem nut/stud and replace or as you said a drop of oil and hand thread them all the way up feeling for problems then torque wrench them. Agree if there is any problem replace any component that shows signs of damage or after so many cycles. Funny forget what post is was but our TM said to discard thimble nut every time. Doubt that will happen much in the real world. Now with the lawyers on board of everything the shops I bet are taking there time so as no problem falls back on them.
What was the old time war saying if you see something say something. Same here if you think it might be a problem then it probably is a problem.

Last edited:

rustystud

The big question should be what tools you don't have, if any.
I bow to you.
That's the problem with tools. You never have enough since there always inventing new style of fasteners or special tools needed to perform a job . Every year at the transit agency they would come out with a new bus with newer style fasteners, and every year there where more new tools to buy. Also every new engine and new transmission has some new style fasteners or special tools needed to perform the job. Every time ! I have barrels of tools for each different transmission or transfer-case or differential I used to work on. Each barrel represents thousands of dollars spent. That's just life in the heavy vehicle / new car-truck maintenance world. Now if your lucky enough to work for a major player like a dealership or a large maintenance shop they will provide a lot of the special tools. Not all, but a lot. Sometimes they only buy one tool and the whole shop must share. That doesn't usually doesn't work out very well. So you end up buying your own since the time you usually need that special tool someone else is using it. My wife used to get so angry about all the tools I bought. I told her it was that or I didn't work. Simple. That's why I really like to see companies helping out new mechanics with buying their first set of tools. Going into that kind of debt right out of school is a pain. I guess it must be the same for anyone getting out of college and needing to pay off their student loans. My personal Doctor finally paid off his student loans after 30 years. He was so happy ! Of course he probably could have paid it off sooner with the amount of money he has been making. I (and other mechanics) on the other hand was forced to buy tools every year. That's why the tool trucks come by every week to the shops.
That's also another reason I've been buying tools from "Harbor Freight" now that I'm retired. I won't pay those kinds of prices anymore !
Oh Oh. I think I'm getting into a "Rant" !!!! Better stop now.
I'll just leave you with this though. Every car and truck out there from every year has special tools needed to work on them. Every one ! I only have a very, very small amount of tools needed to work on a very small section of vehicles.

Last edited:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
When working for a company that has a large or small fleet of equipment to maintain, air tools are a time saver, as long as hand thread has been started to keep from cross thread or continued galling of fastener.

When I have my own vehicles worked on by others it really pains me because I have to trust the person that is using air to do the job quicker to make more coin.
That is a rare occasion that this happens, but always on wheels I torque or tighten them by hand so that when a flat happens, I can change at location with the old four way and cheater bar. At some point as age catches us all, trust becomes a major issue.

rustystud, I have respect for a man that has used training as a start then a Journeymen to cub under, and help show the way to be a Professional. And continue to train to be the best you can be and pass on the knowledge of a
lifetime to another young strong headed man. You are very fortunate to be
able to acquire tools of the trade and reuse or fabricate into another useful
tool as your job continues to evolve and change with time.

I think that as we age we gain patience and think and study before we leap
into the job at hand. Every one has gained the knowledge as age progresses,
and experience to adapt to what you know works and what does not.

I will add, that the world is not black and white as the print on pages.
But as you age as most of us are the world is shades of gray.

Now I will go out and grade the bad spots in the road, as my day goes on at 9 45 pm. Way off topic but made me feel a little better.

rustystud

When working for a company that has a large or small fleet of equipment to maintain, air tools are a time saver, as long as hand thread has been started to keep from cross thread or continued galling of fastener.

When I have my own vehicles worked on by others it really pains me because I have to trust the person that is using air to do the job quicker to make more coin.
That is a rare occasion that this happens, but always on wheels I torque or tighten them by hand so that when a flat happens, I can change at location with the old four way and cheater bar. At some point as age catches us all, trust becomes a major issue.

rustystud, I have respect for a man that has used training as a start then a Journeymen to cub under, and help show the way to be a Professional. And continue to train to be the best you can be and pass on the knowledge of a
lifetime to another young strong headed man. You are very fortunate to be
able to acquire tools of the trade and reuse or fabricate into another useful
tool as your job continues to evolve and change with time.

I think that as we age we gain patience and think and study before we leap
into the job at hand. Every one has gained the knowledge as age progresses,
and experience to adapt to what you know works and what does not.

I will add, that the world is not black and white as the print on pages.
But as you age as most of us are the world is shades of gray.

Now I will go out and grade the bad spots in the road, as my day goes on at 9 45 pm. Way off topic but made me feel a little better.
I totally agree that as time passes the whole "black and white" issues of life change. When I was young I was totally sure of everything in the Universe. Now as the years have passed I have become certain that "nothing" is certain ! Only putting my faith in God has stood the test of time. As it should be.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the 1/2" and the 3/4" Milwaukee's right now. I love them. Now if they do come out with a 1" impact I'm buying that too !

Ouch looking for the price tag right now but get you credit card out they have one inch M18.
Up date they said July 2018 but now there saying close to the end of year. I can only imagine the price.

Last edited:

rustystud

I have the 1/2" and the 3/4" Milwaukee's right now. I love them. Now if they do come out with a 1" impact I'm buying that too !

Ouch looking for the price tag right now but get you credit card out they have one inch M18.
Up date they said July 2018 but now there saying close to the end of year. I can only imagine the price.
Yes. The 1/2" one cost $250.00 . The 3/4" one cost $500.00 . The 1" one should then sell for $1000.00 !!!
That might be more then I want to pay at this time. I can buy a "LOT" of air hoses for that kind of money.
By the way how much is it ?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They will not release the price till it comes out. They are late releasing it so maybe running into production problems? Think a metric ton of torque is to much for anything I would ever need it for.
I sold my sand blasting rig with the airman 185 compressor so now the one inch air impact is just sitting in the house. Had to break down and buy the Milwaukee M18 fuel 3/4 drive and ouch not cheap. My luck I will never need it after buying it. Yea better to have it and not need it but it will most likely out live me collecting dust.

Last edited:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
They will not release the price till it comes out. They are late releasing it so maybe running into production problems? Think a metric ton of torque is to much for anything I would ever need it for.
I sold my sand blasting rig with the airman 185 compressor so now the one inch air impact is just sitting in the house. Had to break down and buy the Milwaukee M18 fuel 3/4 drive and ouch not cheap. My luck I will never need it after buying it. Yea better to have it and not need it but it will most likely out live me collecting dust.
I would think you could build a 3/4 or 1 inch drive cart or a winch of some kind to help with the heavy work. Might be on to something there. Other uses besides the obvious?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks