• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

breaking free stuck lug nuts

houdel

Great "injunuity" there Joel! What brand of breaker bar do you use? I broke two MTI 18" breaker bars (with about 12" of extension). Finally took my Deuce to a truck shop, they used a 1" impact to get the d**n thing off!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK guys, if you are having this kind of trouble getting your nuts off, GET A ROBO IMPACT 3/4" drive that plugs into the Nato Slave recepticle. They show up on ebay every once and a while.

This driving over your tools is just too much. Drop a few bucks and be done with it. I have one and it just spins those puppies right off. AND right back on again. The worst thing about chaning tires is physically man handling the tire itself...

jim

devilman96

Hummm... they make this stuff called Antisease ya know?!?!? and FORWARD would be to correct direction for BOTH sides!! LH and RH threads remember!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim, there are some lugnuts even the electric won't budge. I had to heat the ones on that nast ole pipeline truck.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
learned a trick while at John Winslow's the other day. A shovel makes moving/lining up these tires a lot easier...

jasonjc

Harbor Freight has one of there 1" air impact on sale for $99.99 I have yet to met a nut that thing will not remove.Just make shure you use the 1/2" air hose with it.

MATT

Yes a shovel or a large prybar works great! And Cranetruck is right, use the correct hose with the correct air tool!!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 said:
Jim, there are some lugnuts even the electric won't budge. I had to heat the ones on that nast ole pipeline truck.
Kenneth,
We ARE talking about the Robo Impact used to remove the WHEEL portions from M1A1 Abrams tanks here. Trust me, there are NO lug nuts that this baby won't twist off. If it's that stuck, it MIGHT twist the stud off...

But I've looked up the torque value some time back and it was staggering what is needed to remove the wheels on the M1A1 so they can replace/repair the tread...

You might be correct, but dude, that would be ONE SERIOUSLY WELDED NUT onto the stud. In that specific case, you could be correct. We are talking about the 24v Robo Impact DESIGNED FOR THE MILITARY to do this exact job and bigger ones. So if a Robo Impact won't get it, then I doubt anything BUT the blue wrench WILL remove it.

jim

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BFR said:
learned a trick while at John Winslow's the other day. A shovel makes moving/lining up these tires a lot easier...
Yup, that was exactly what I was doing. Until 'The Deuce Doctor' showed me HIS trick.

He basically was on his knees, picked the wheel up and put in on axle and balanced it on his thighs. BOOM, it went right on. I tried it and it works great.

Like I've said elsewhere, RandyLBarnes has more tricks up his sleeve on working on big rigs than ANYONE I've ever met. Period, end of story.

But I guess you get that way after being a big rig mechanic FOREVER. Plus as I've said, he is also in charge of the maintenance shop for HVH here in Denver. Knows his stuff and is willing to share it. All around nice guy too.

jim

FSBruva

wallew said:
This driving over your tools is just too much. Drop a few bucks and be done with it. I have one and it just spins those puppies right off.
The Abrams tanks have their wheels changed at regular intervals, and I have a hard time believing that any rust would be allowed to form. On the other hand - how many rust free deuce lugs have you ever seen? I mean honestly.

Furthermore, I am pretty confident that lugnut removal is one of those arenas where the ends actually does justify the means. Did he get the lugnuts off? How much money did his method cost him? I think BFR was simply, (how do you say?) "Getting 'er done?"

Matt

wpzimmer

Two suggestions for lug nuts. I must confess having missed the little "L" stamped on a wheel stud that someone pressed into the right hand side hub. Trying to loosen a left handed nut using the old bromide "Righty-tighty, lefty loosey" only gets you an appointment with your chiropractor. Make sure you're turning that nut the correct direction.

Also, consider buying yourself a decent torque multiplier. They aren't particularly expensive and pay for themselves quickly in terms of time saved and vocabulary expended. They can be had from such places an Northern Hydraulics, MSC Industrial Supply and McMaster-Carr. A 4 to 1 unit is sufficient for most jobs. Usually 1/2" square drive on the wrench side and 3/4" square on the socket side. Typically good for 1000 lb-ft. Saved me a lot of back strain and skinned knuckles.

Gadget

A torque multiplier...I learn something new every day. A bit expensive though.

I just noticed this old auction HERE. If you think about the way it works, it's really a great idea. I don't know how it actually performs in the real world, but the concept is awesome.

On to impact guns...

Considering the torque multiplier effect and knowing they could have geared that 24v impact gun anyway they wanted, I'm really interested in hearing from anyone that's used one on rusted-stuck budd nuts. I've used a 1,200 Ft-lb Ingersol Rand impact gun with the correct diameter air hose and over-pressure from the compressor, yet that's only *barely* loosened the nuts...after going forward/reverse a half dozen times and using heat. I can't believe a 24v gun just plugs in and spins them off with ease. But I am prepared to be convinced....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks